Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

WIP: Hard Attack

Can you guess on which original doom map my map is based, im making it from scratch and for plain doom2 format altough that might change.
I might release this dunno yet im curious to see who will guess it first :P

Some more screenshots:

It looks a lot like the first level of The Master Levels for Doom 2. I think Willits made that map... but I can't remember the name of it.

Looks pretty interesting ;) I like the subtle details.

Its attack and mine is going to be called hard attack dunno if im going make it hard though :P
This is one of my favourite maps from the master levels, im not planning any custom stuff well maybe music and an new sky texture.
Same for detail I only add little bits of it detailing is such an time consuming process anyway and lately I start to like maps better if it doesn't have huge amounts of detail.

If you're going to use an OpenGL renderer, you could at least use RGBA8 so the textures don't look all grainy and crappy.

Other than that, it looks nice! :P

Heh, when I saw the title I thought it was a remake of HR's MAP18 Hard Attack, but it doesnt look like it. Has the Doom2 feel, reminded me a lot of master level MAP01 (I guess I was right, seeing as that was what you base the level off of;). Keep up the good work.

As you can see the yellow key area on the right isn't there yet still have to create that one.
Statistics:
Vertices:3433
Linedefs:3965
Sidedefs:6014
Sectors:582
Things:222

Maybe yes or they just don't like my work, it seems hardly anybody is looking forward to this remake.
Not sure if I even should bother finish it maybe I shall start on Altar of Evil 2 instead.

WHOA hey, I wasnt trying to say that you are a bad mapper, (if Steve is refering to me). I think you are one of the more underapreciated mappers here and I think you should get your due respect. ANd do finish the map, it looks great and that would be a lot of work wasted. Oh and if people dont like your maps lets see them make something better. I doubt that they can.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

WHOA hey, I wasnt trying to say that you are a bad mapper, (if Steve is refering to me). I think you are one of the more underapreciated mappers here and I think you should get your due respect. ANd do finish the map, it looks great and that would be a lot of work wasted. Oh and if people dont like your maps lets see them make something better. I doubt that they can.

He wasn't referring to you. I don't think he means that anyone is hating on Dutch Devil's mapping skills, just that his name isn't as well-known around here as it should be. I haven't personally played any of Dutch Devil's maps, but I think that's what Scuba was getting at.

Screenshots look good, by the way. :)

They can keep their respect I don't make maps for that its just an hobby I like doing it and keep doing it.
If they don't like my mapping style then don't bother downloading my stuff.

Good, I am glad to hear that the people of this forum arent upset about anything I said. I also hopes this manes that you plan to complete the map right? Oh, and on a side note, how did the mapset that I tested awihle back end up Dutch Devil? I am curious to know.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

That looks like a big map, but from playing (as well as testing) your maps I feel that it will flow nicley. I cant wait to play it!

You should see my 2nd map for "Italian DooM - Episode 2: The Singularity", that is its last level, named "Arachnophobia II": it counts more than 55,000 sidedefs and 5,000 sectors! =P In fact, I had to split it in 3 parts (= maps in separate WADs) to edit it with WadAuthor...! :P I hope Buzzomber can merge them into one map with Doom Builder and that ZDoom can handle it without any problem!

Hijack?! It wasn't my intention to hijack this or other threads.
To clarify this and return in topic, I assert that, in my opinion, Dutch Devil is one of the best and most serious .WADster here: just play his .WADs as I did, before asserting the opposite!

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Oh, and on a side note, how did the mapset that I tested awihle back end up Dutch Devil? I am curious to know.

Its in its testing fase right now so its gonna take a while before im going to upload it.

This map will be done eventually maybe I can complete it this week.

I didn't had any replies from people saying it was crap, it was an beta version so I wasn't surprised to see comments on how the gameplay sucked.
But most of the things people mentioned are fixed allready, im still not 100% happy with some of the maps.
I am doing this quick map inbetween my other maps, yay almost done with the last few sectors.

The map is done it turned out pretty good its not an hard map difficulty is below average it might be just slightly harder than the oiginal.
Runs fine on UV I still have to test it a bit more on the lower skill levels, its tested with Doomsday and Gzdoom so far.
If someone would test it with me ill be happy to email it to you, but its not an hard map at all so if you like those types of maps this one isn't your kind of thing.
You could see this map as an tribute to the original and it will hopefully give players the doom feeling when playing.

If you need a betatester, I'm available :)
The mail adress on the bottom here should work!

Although i don't know the original map, I'm sure I can give you some useful feedback.

Hey Dutch, I was wondering if you'd be able to email me a copy of the map before it gets into newstuff as well? Looks like it'll be a cool one to play.