Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GrimJim

OK so...

...I've been playing doom for years and years now and just decided to get myself editing. Well i've made a level which i think is cool...or it would be if the things would appear in it, there are things placed in the level .

I can load it up in jdoom and zdoom but the things just wont appear, no guns no spawn, no dead people on spikes, no ammo. As you can probably imagine this situation sucks, so any help from one of you experienced guys to a total n00b like myself would be greatly appreciated.

Im using doom builder but i did try opening the wad with winDEU and resaving but that didnt work. Ive tried several node builders, none of em worked. I tried shouting at the screen, that did not work at all.

so....help?

I know this sounds obvious, but did you make sure that the thing attributes include the various skill levels? If the skill levels are not checked (i.e., selected) the things will appear in your map editor but will not appear in-game.

What ReX said, plus check if the flags aren't set for "deathmatch only", or something. I don't remember all the flags by heart.

Oh, and please make more sensible topic names next time.

Yeah, the thing attributes are all set so that they will be on in any diffaculty level, this is why its so confusing. Also it occoured to me that the player start is a thing, and that works because I start off in the right place. its really weird. I thought maybe I'm not doing something I should be with linedefs or sectors or something.

I could place the wad somewhere on the net or mail it to someone if anyone wants a look. Im pretty stumped at this point.

Sorry ellmo, I'll make my titles more informative next time (got yer attention though, didnt it? ;))

I also got it happen on an E1M8 of mine. I was editing a lot, using shareware DeepSea, till no things would appear - ever! like if playing -skill 0. Now i think I deleted that map, so I can't show it to you. But has such thing happened to you people as well? It's kinda annoying NOT to be allowed to place any more things, like if Doom had a limit. In a few wordclues: DeepSea, E1M8, no-longer-spawning-things (seeming limit.)

good night, so tomorrow.

GrimJim said:

I could place the wad somewhere on the net or mail it to someone if anyone wants a look.

Mail it to me at gurkha_boy @ yahoo.com (delete the spaces in the address). Also, please let me know if the map is for any specific source port (I suspect not).

printz said:

(...)like if Doom had a limit.

Doom does not have a limit, but shareware version of DeePsea does.
Mmm... so you mean that only new things don't appear? Because if -let's say- after you had placed 120 things, new ones won't appear, maybe it's because of DeePsea. I've been using this editor long long ago, but I remember that shareware was limited to something like 200 sectors and 1200 lindefs.
Maybe it lets you place the things, but won't transfer them to the real map (after it's translated and nodes are built) unles you have registered version?

ellmo said:

[good explanation]

I think you're quite right, it could be it. So I gather DeepSEA shareware has other limits as well, not only LINEDEFS (800) and SIDEDEFS (1200.) You experienced it as well? After all, the 'not placing the things on real map' is a sick thing indeed, since after all there's only one file and somehow it's being poked on. I just wish DeepSea not to be buyable, because user wads aren't buyable themselves: negative profit.

Thanks, I have it, but I'm still moaning the splattered management of profitness on other...products.