Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

ID Anthology

Just wondering how many people around here actually own this boxed set. I was lucky enough to nab one off ebay for 60 dollars. Its complete aside from the missing dog tags; still a pretty good find though. I figure it was a steal since just a couple days earlier I had seen it go for over 200 dollars.

I got mine for 25 dollars at a used video game store. In 1998. Didn't have the dogtags or the little statuette thingy.
The Book of Id rules.

I have it. Bought it at a Virgin megastore. It was the last one on their shelf and was reduced (but I forget the price). It was complete. I didn't really consider the collectability of it. It was just a nice way to get all the important (at that time) id cames consolidated onto a few discs.

They were at best buy, seen the whole display witch i dont think sold out (though i did go back to take another look) but they just dissapeard one day. didnt think much of it at the time honestly. just another conglomeration of 'em all in one box. ($19.99 i believe)

Regen said:

They were at best buy, seen the whole display witch i dont think sold out (though i did go back to take another look) but they just dissapeard one day. didnt think much of it at the time honestly. just another conglomeration of 'em all in one box. ($19.99 i believe)

Well they did make 2 versions of the id anthology. They made the original boxed set that included the doom comic book, poster, shirt, etc. and then they also made just a CD version of it as well. I believe it was only a 4 disk set with none of the extras that come in the box.

It was the boxed set with all the goodies. i dunno maybe it was more than $19, but ive regretted it for a long time not picking this up when i had the chance.

Christmas time 96-97. just had a 540 fail on me and was on an early morning mission to replace it before work, in almost a foot of snow! and still falling in a freak (wet) winter storm that fell on detroit that year. was goin after a 1.7 (huge drive back then) seen the display out of the corner of my eye and said "oh no shit, another doom mix" (or something to that effect)

Alls i remeber thinking to myself is that its just a bunch of stuff i allready have actualy, wasnt till later when i started reading up on exactly what was in that package did i realise what i had passed up (and questioned myself about- did i actualy see it? was it in my hands??) and now im seeing compusa so i may have seen it there and then went back to both compusa and best buy in a last ditch attemp to find it (whatever compusa carrys, so does best buy generaly) but it was like it vanished off the face of the earth, it was no more. (or i was dreaming -nah)

Have to admit the way i worded it in response to tech was that it looked like i "just seen it the other day" or something, but nope it was a long time ago. it may have been more come to think of it, but i do see $19.99 on that package for some reason (from memory) ok story time over.

Regen said:

it may have been more come to think of it, but i do see $19.99 on that package for some reason (from memory)

No computer/entertainment store would sell a new, fully loaded ID Anthology back then for 19.99. Each of the games in there alone were worth nearly that much then. I'm pretty sure you saw it for $119.99 because that's the price it was selling for when brand new.

Then indeed $119 it was. even though doom/doom2 had high market saturation by that time (not to mention there older stuff) but being there entire catalogue in one package i can see there selling point (with all the included items) i would still consider a complete set today (in very good condition)

Bastet Furry said:

We Krauts never seem to get this stuff....

Seeing as how it has Wolfenstein games and the Doom2 Wolf maps 31 and 32, it probably wasn't legal in Germany. :/

Enjay said:
It was just a nice way to get all the important (at that time) id cames consolidated onto a few discs.

I don't have it, unfortunately. I'd pay for The Book of id, though, at least.

Enjay said:

Seeing as how it has Wolfenstein games and the Doom2 Wolf maps 31 and 32, it probably wasn't legal in Germany. :/

Pff, why arent games handled like movies.
You can have millions of swatzikas(sp?) in a movie but not one inside a game that is even against the nazis.

Wouldnt mind playing the evil side, though. ;)
Thats one thing missing from games like CoD, you always play the allys and never the axes.

BTW:
Did you know that Panzer General 2 got banned(!) in Germany just because there was a story about how the Third Realm could have won the war inside the manual? How pathetic -.-

Bastet Furry said:

Thats one thing missing from games like CoD, you always play the allys and never the axes.

You can play as Axis in multiplayer games for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, if I remember correctly.

I don't think any company's ever been stupid enough to put out a game like that.

I bought the Collector's Edition about 10 years later. 10$. Came with Win95 instead of the DOS versions, though.

Just got it the other day. The Doom comic is so bad, its awesome. The best part are the old school advertisements for Windows 95 and all that. Good stuff.

I bought it a few months ago on ebay for ~200 bucks (or so)used but in immaculate condition and fully complete. A must have.

I have 2 id Anthologys. I is open and complete and in mint condition.

The other is sealed brand new in the box. There are only 3 that I know of that are still sealed. I'm sure there are more but I know a lot of id Software collectors at this point and I've found only 3 sealed ones. They go for up to $500 sealed.

I'm waiting on my new Canon digcam to come in (newegg is backordered) and then I'm going to take pics of my entire collection and newly remodeled computer room / display cases.

Out of everything I have (its a lot), the sealed id Anthology is my #3 prize possession. The only items I care more about are my signed (by everyone including Hall & Romero) NIB sealed Doom 3 game and my entire Reaper mini collection including 2 full sets NIB (well technically new in card).

id Anthology is absolutely one of the coolest items ever released by id!

Quad Damage and Quake: The Offering are also quite nice. I have both of those sealed NIB as well, including a PC and a Linux version of The Offering.

If anyone else here has a decent id Software collection I'd be fascinated to talk to you!

Kind regards,

Dusty