Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

360 Degrees of Doom

Microsoft announced today at the X06 conference that it will be bringing the original four episode installment of Doom to Xbox Live Arcade. The ported game will feature full 4 player coop and deathmatch support online or in split screen, in addition to the single player game. Interestingly enough, a fact sheet from Microsoft confirms full 1080i resolution for high definition and smooth textures. The game will cost 800 Microsoft points, or roughly 10 US dollars.

Now if only there was a way to load custom .wads :)

Still pretty cool I think. Oh yeah, and there's also going to be a leaderboard and such.

hopefully it'll be better than the doom port included with the xbox version of doom 3 that I'm sure they spent a whole 5 minutes working on. not that I'm going to bother paying for it anyway, though.

EDIT: heh

From what I hear the effective resolution is still 320x200, so all 1080i gets you is really clear and crisp gigantic pixels :)

Dittohead said:

Ooh, 5.1 sound is actually kinda cool. Do any source ports even support this? Forgive my ignorance on the subject of sound.

None that I've ever heard of. The whole process of coding surround sound is quite a pain in the ass anyway.

Does it support mouse/keyboard

Of course, yes. Also, practically every single control in the game is completely bindable (even, chat macro usage, menu and automap controls etc etc). There is also built-in support for non-programable joypads so that you can double up controls (e.g. hold down left trigger and the other buttons change function) to any layout you are comfortable with (without having to resort to crude aliases/dynamic (un)binding commands).

Bare in mind that feature list is nowhere near complete nor up to date. There is a heck of a lot of stuff in Doomsday, feature-wise, that isn't listed in that brief overview.

We plan to update that page once 1.9.0-full is released (we are currently at beta4 atm, with beta5 to be released soon).

Ralphis said:

Too bad doom1 sucks for DM

I highly disagree. DooM 2 DM should be renamed "Stupid SSG fest".

Most fun I had DMing was Shareware Doom 1.

The port is gonna have voice-chat support, which kicks ass. I wish a Doom source port had voice-chat for DM / coop, togglable by the server and by the user like in Half-Life's engine.

AgentSpork said:

Things like TeamSpeak and Ventrilo exist for a reason, you know. :P

But built-in voicechat allows you to scream "FAGGOTS" at the other team all from the convience of your living room couch. And they will hear each and every precious syllable.

There were things I liked and didn't like about the 360 Doom version.

Positive's
-Voice chat
-Online Co-op
-Online DM
-Achievements are pretty entertaining and make you play through all 4 episodes.

Negatives
-No custom Controls(Although easy to use)
-Can't change the X sensitivity(this is pain for turning)
-Sometimes lobbys can get pretty laggy which is unplayable

Other than that it's pretty fun playing with people old and new to the game. Well worth the 12.50 in microsoft points.

Anybody up for some co-op send me a friend request on live:Shadowrunner89

CapNapalm said:

I highly disagree. DooM 2 DM should be renamed "Stupid SSG fest".

Most fun I had DMing was Shareware Doom 1.

Well that's fine and all but you're wrong.

way to rip us off for 10 bucks, look forward to see how they will profit than what they have invested

999cop said:
way to rip us off for 10 bucks, look forward to see how they will profit than what they have invested

Yes, DOOM, that shitty old DOS game. How dare they? They should offer something good, not that piece of crap.

999cop said:

You're a moron.

Just thought I'd let you know.

999cop said:

Good to see you're still retarded