Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

It's midnight and my eyes are bleeding (aka Doom 2 UV Speed run in 14:02)

The title pretty much explains it. It's almost midnight I've been working on this all day, not to mention the countless other days I've worked on it, my eyes are so sore I'm surprised they're not bleeding but it's FINALLY DONE.

I have been working on a full built UV speed run of Doom 2 for some time now, and after putting it down a few times I've finally come back and finnished it. I'm a little disappointed in that it's only 35 seconds faster than Andrey's 30uv1437 but I think that merely shows the awesome quality of Andrey's demo.

Please watch and enjoy and ask any questions you want on the demo

Speaking as someone who's followed this run for a long time I'm happy to see it finished. The endings of maps 11 and 12 are not to be missed, for sure. :-)

EDIT: Map 17 is absolutely excellent, too.

Also, too bad about map 16, Rambo ... I'm absolutely certain 0:09 is possible there, but the glide is a bitch. :-/

And a pity about map 28, the ending looks a bit scuffled, but I guess you couldn't have done it better than you did.

Anyway, needless to say, awesome stuff. This also proves, without a doubt, that 13:xx is possible. (Just skip map 32, heh) BTW, I never did get back to you on that map 23 megasphere grab. Didn't find a way of doing it outside of a RJ (but it doesn't seem to matter anyway). My best wacky idea was maybe to do a monster glide against a demon to build up speed, but ... nah. ;-)

Congratulations!!!

Map 22 (0:12; -0:01): The bar glide on this map was brute forced by a computer program

haha. If you do not wish to spend a time on map21 you need only to copy some bytes from sedlo's run (after teleporting). I did it in my 30uv1437.lmp. :)

You can make it a bit less unpleasant to watch in Prboom-plus if you turn on the "Smooth Demo Playback" feature. This makes the sharp turns look less sharp by rotating the camera position more gradually during playback.

Basically a demo created with tools that allow for such things like slow-motion, re-recording and so on. It's a demo where mistakes are simply recorded over and the movements of the player are optimized as much as possible. Maybe someone else could provide a more technical explanation, but nevertheless, they are created for our entertainment to see how fast the game can be beaten under optimal conditions or to demonstrate some kind of scenario that's highly unlikely in normal play.

Vile said:

Basically a demo created with tools that allow for such things like slow-motion, re-recording and so on. It's a demo where mistakes are simply recorded over and the movements of the player are optimized as much as possible. Maybe someone else could provide a more technical explanation, but nevertheless, they are created for our entertainment to see how fast the game can be beaten under optimal conditions or to demonstrate some kind of scenario that's highly unlikely in normal play.

Your talking tool assisted. A built demo is where every tic (there a 35 tics in a second) has the player movement specified, moving forwards, backwards, strafing, turning, shooting etc. So essentially the movements of all approximately 30000 tics are specified by hand.

Was this demo made using re-recording, slow motion etc. - my point being, recorded using a Doom engine - or constructed manually by writing each ticcmd directly into the file with a hex editor? Or a combination of both?

Either way, it's a fantastic effort - congratulations, Rambo.

P.S. Yes smooth turning makes it easier to watch but on the other hand sometimes the player appears to move or fire in a really odd direction! I guess you just take your pick, really.

RjY said:

Was this demo made using re-recording, slow motion etc. - my point being, recorded using a Doom engine - or constructed manually by writing each ticcmd directly into the file with a hex editor? Or a combination of both?

Doom Replay Editor by RamboBones.

RamboBones, do you want to share the new version of this tool and its source? I have a dre2.exe on my PC but it does not work correctly IMO.

EDIT: Do you plan to apply your changes to the newest version of prboom(+)? Old version have the critical, but very old bug with memory management. Too many structures that *should* be filled with zero after malloc have not been initialized and it could cause to Signal 11 error randomly (it happenes with DRE very often) Only latest version of prboom-plus have no this bug. Maybe prboom 2.4.5 too, I do not remember.

I fixed some of the memory management bugs myself in a newer version to get rid of that signal 11 problem (was an issue with the rendering code). In fact the current version of my replay editor is almost nothing like the one you have. Currently it supports 1 and 4 player replays, proper save pointing with no desyncing and a purely text based cryptic input system. I don't intend to publicly release it because well... it's very cryptic to use to say the least and is fraught with problems that I'm just use to working around but could be frustrating to other people.

RamboBones said:

I fixed some of the memory management bugs myself in a newer version to get rid of that signal 11 problem (was an issue with the rendering code). In fact the current version of my replay editor is almost nothing like the one you have. Currently it supports 1 and 4 player replays, proper save pointing with no desyncing and a purely text based cryptic input system. I don't intend to publicly release it because well... it's very cryptic to use to say the least and is fraught with problems that I'm just use to working around but could be frustrating to other people.

Wouldn't that a reason *for* releasing it, actually? Put it up somewhere and let other talented people like entryway hack away on it and improve it... :)

When I watched this, the guy died on MAP17, then came back to life, and went all retarded! He kept running into walls and shooting blindly. What the hell went wrong?

Archie said:

When I watched this, the guy died on MAP17, then came back to life, and went all retarded! He kept running into walls and shooting blindly. What the hell went wrong?

You need to be using a completely unmodified Doom2 iwad version 1.9 (trying getting a fresh copy from your installation disk; if you warezed it, you're out of luck; if you bought your copy in the early days, then you might have version 1.666, in which case you need to patch it up to 1.9), and you need to be using an executable that doesn't break demo compatibility. That would be: Doom2.exe 1.9 (not Doom95, not Ultimate Doom or Final Doom), Prboom-plus, Prboom, Chocolate-Doom or Eternity.

If you continue to have problems, please state the following:
The exact size of your Doom2.wad file, in bytes (not kilobytes, not megabytes)
Exactly which executable you are using (name, version number, and file size in bytes).

RjY said:

P.S. Yes smooth turning makes it easier to watch but on the other hand sometimes the player appears to move or fire in a really odd direction! I guess you just take your pick, really.

That's true, and personally I don't use it when watching demos - I prefer to see the movement as it actually is. But if you start to feel sick when watching it that way, it makes sense to switch!

Fredrik said:

What's the deal with visiting map32, though? The run is called 30uv, not 32uv.

Edit the demo and take out Map32 and then you'll have the record!!!

Fredrik said:

What's the deal with visiting map32, though? The run is called 30uv, not 32uv.

Compet-N naming convention

HobbsTiger1 said:

Compet-N naming convention

Yes, but by compet-n convention a 30uv run does not need to include visits to the secret levels. (Essentially it is: start the game and exit map30.)

The only reason maps 31 and 32 were traditionally visited in 30uv and 30nm movie runs is that the map15 secret exit is much more quickly reached than the normal exit (15-31-16 is quicker than 15-16), and map32 was regarded as a good quick fill-up level. In the last few years, people have tended to skip map32, but the reason for visiting map31 remains valid.

That is, these maps are only visited if it is deemed quicker or useful, not for any formal requirement. Check out the 30pl, 30ev and 30mm runs at compet-n for comparison.

Linguica said:

Edit the demo and take out Map32 and then you'll have the record!!!

Yes, and substitute a 4-second run in map01 while you're at it!!111

I tried skipping map31 but didn't get any time bonus from my attempts (all of which were actually slower).

The only reason I can see to visit map32 after map31 is to refill health. But map16 requires no health and map17 has a ton of medikits right at the start.

Grazza said:
You can make it a bit less unpleasant to watch in Prboom-plus if you turn on the "Smooth Demo Playback" feature.

I haven't watched these but I don't recall Sedlo's 16+ minute UV and 18+ minute NM demos being ugly.

A nonugly demo without sr50 on turns would be a praiseworthy achievement.

You should remember, that for such run you need in too many skills (skills are the things which people appreciate) and king-size patience (probably much more, than you mean). RamboBones will not wait for your praise if you do not want to give it for him. This run is a big and interesting piece of work (for me for example), but you even haven't watched these.

Touchdown said:

Is it possible for someone to make avi out of it?

Maybe Vince could be convinced (no pun intended!) to make one. :)