Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

When I was maybe 12 years old, a friend of mine gave me two floppies with the word "DOOM" printed on the labels. We went to my house, installed the game on my 386, and started playing. From the moment I entered the room to the left and got shot at by sergeants, I was hooked.

I didn't register the original Doom, but I somehow convinced my dad to buy me Doom 2. I eventually picked up the first D!Zone CD which had a metric assload of WADs (for Doom 1). The sad thing is that I never realized they were for Doom 1 because D!Zone provided this little menu system from which you selected your wad. If the wad was for Doom 1, it would automagically convert it. I never noticed the lack of super shotgun or mancubi for some reason. Dur, me.

I picked up Ultimate Doom a few years later for $20. Good times, good times.

When i was 5 my dad bought or downloaded it, cant remember, and i remember i couldnt get passed the first map without god mode.

When I was 3 my Grandma and Grandpa would each load up something on their PC's, 486DX2's I think, and I would see this wierd green thing with a rifle shoot my Grandma to death. I was scared shitless, until my Grandpa gave it to me at age 4, and from then on I was as I am today. I beat the first episode fairly easily, then when I played Episode 2...

The first time I played Doom was on Sega's ill-fated 32x add-on system, it was a short game (only 17 levels), but it got me so hooked that I immediatly went to hunt down the PC verion of Doom.

Back in the old days we used to fire up the original shareware to see if a pc could run autocad. If it could run doom, it could run autocad. 386's needed to have the math coprocessor.

Put doom down for a long time, just recently got back into it. Found it on and old pc at work when clearing it up. Then found the new engines. woo hoo :>).

My brother brought the shareware in floppies, that he had bought in a supermarket, or something like that, for $3. This was probably 1994 (or maybe 1995.)

I was already a grown-up back then, so the game never turned my vulnerable mind to jelly... Thus I can now play the game correctly (and can even post coherently on these forums.)

Hmm, this reminds me; I have to go now. Among other things, to buy new headphones. Or else I won't be able to fire up doom.exe appropiately to violently own some Imps, Zombiemen, Cacodemons and whatnot.

I was 12, some friend had shareware,
it was said on a magazine to be
like wolfenstein 3D but better.
Because I liked a lot wolf3D, I tried Doom,
and yes ,oubviously,it was better.
I remember the first room, wow .It was good time.
Because today the games are sucking more and more
,in 2002 I re-discovered DOOM and addons whith DOOMWORLD.

When I was about three years old I would watch my dad play Wolfenstein 3D on his 386 machine. One day he let me play, and I remember getting shot by a bunch of soldiers and seeing my mugshot turn into a "raw hamburger".

About a year later, he started playing Doom and I can remember pointing at the screen going "There! There's a secret door!" and he would get angry at me because there really wasnt anything there :)

When I got my first computer (a 286 p.o.s.) I had my dad install Doom on my [incredibly large] 20MB harddrive. I've played it since then.

I started playing Doom when I was way too young by probably any psychologist's standards. :)

I've been playing Doom on and off since I was seven or so, and for the past few days I've actually been playing through all of Doom II, most of which I had never seen before.

I beat it this morning, and it feels great to have finally beaten the game. I'm sure I would have beaten it a long time ago if I had actually put the time and effort into it, but in any case it was a lot of fun.

So...hooray! This is just one of those "omg haha im posting on teh intarweb" threads, I guess there's no real point to it. Eh.

I thought The Final Boss in Doom II was lame, even lamer then the one in Doom I.Great game though but I think the first one was still better.

superloud4 said:

This is just one of those "omg haha im posting on teh intarweb" threads, I guess there's no real point to it. Eh.

OK then...

when you first played Doom, what nick names did you give he monsters?

i gave demons the name pig donkeys.lol
and the barons o hell pink goaty goats. XFD
and hell knights grey goaty goats.

lol what are some of yours.

Demon - Buffalo (Büffel)
Imp - Spikedude (Stachelmensch)
Cacodemon - Beholder
Arch vile - Fire skeleton (Feuerskelett)
pain Elemental - Skull spitter (Schädel spucker)

just to name a few, the names in the brackets are the original german words I used!

Oh I thought this was about your first emotions when you played doom (I'd have an interesting story about that)...oh well whatever, let's go with the name thingy:

Zombies and Sergeants: Made no particular impression on me so I just called them "guards" or "soldiers".

Imps: Some Greek magazine called them "Σαυράνθρωποι" (Lizard Men) but I called them "Γύφτοι¨(Gypsιes) and whenever I whooped one I yelled "Die you fucking dirty brown gypsy!" (wouldn't be Politically Correct in the States, huh?)
Well in Greece "gypsy" is a slang term for any dirty and mean person, so it seemed appropriate ;-)

Demons: "Κάπρος" (mythological wild pig/boar)

Cacos: becaue I found them much cuter than all other monsters, I called them with a cute name: "Ευχούλιδες" (Wishing Gnomes), which is the greek name for those plastic Good-luck bringing trolls (whatever their name is).

Barons: just called them "minotaurs" like the above Greek magazine did :-) Or else after a junior high professor I didn't like very much at the time ;-)

Pain elemental: "Το χαριτωμένο μπάσταρδο πλασματάκι"="The cute bastard little creature". Don't even ask why :-)

Archvile: "Αντίχριστος"=Antichrist, for obvious reasons: stigmata and resurrection, but with an evil twist. I always though Archviles were some sort of evil Jesus clones.

Chaingunner: "Μπούλης"="Hefty fellow" :-p

Mancubus: "Κωλοχοντρός"="Fat f*ck"

Imps looked like apes and Hell Knights and Barons were " grey/pink skinned minotaurs" to me...

Vader said:

Demon - Buffalo (Büffel)
Imp - Spikedude (Stachelmensch)
Cacodemon - Beholder
Arch vile - Fire skeleton (Feuerskelett)
pain Elemental - Skull spitter (Schädel spucker)

just to name a few, the names in the brackets are the original german words I used!

Did you ever use the patch to restore the Nazi secret levels?

Zombieman-- Vanilla Ice covered in shit
Shotgun Guy-- Skinhead covered in shit
Heavy Weapons Dude-- Cap'n Cunt
SS Nazi-- Val Kilmer
Imp-- Shitman covered in shit
Demon-- Mr. Ed
Spectre-- That gay clear guy
Cacodemon-- Coethrahedron ("Atlas-headed freak")
Hell Knight-- George Bush (Sr.)
Baron of Hell-- Barbara (Babs) Bush
Revenant-- Michael Jackson's Thriller posse
Pain Elemental-- Oprah
Archvile-- Michael Jackson
Spider Mastermind-- Aunt Mary
Cyberdemon-- Mr. Rogers

Job said:

Not if he doesn't want to go to jail, assuming he's in Germany.

These are some nicknames I gave the monsters when I first played Doom (in English and Russian):

Mancubus - Fatty (колобок)
Arachnotron - Metal spider (стальной паук)
Spider Mastermind - Big spider with a machine gun (огромный паук с пулемётом)
Revenant - Skeleton with rockets (скелет с ракетами)
Demon - Pink bulldog (розовый бульдог)

Zombieman - Muerto con pistola (deadman with gun)

Shotgun Guy - Muerto con escopeta (Deadman with shotgun)

Heavy Weapons Dude - Gordo con ametralladora (Fatguy with machinegun)

SS Nazi - Puto Nazi (Fucking nazi)

Imp - El bicho de Hellraiser (roughly translated as "The freak from hellraiser)

Demon - Las vacas (the cows)

Spectre - La vaca invisible (Invisible cow)

Cacodemon - El tomate volador (the fliying tomato)

Hell Knight - La cabrota (the huge goat)

Baron of Hell - Mama cabrota (Mother huge Goat)

Revenant - La calaca (Slang for The Angel of Death, in some parts of latin america)

Pain Elemental - La caca voladora que bota calacas (The "calacas" spawning piece of floating shit)

Mancubus - Don Lucho (Don lucho, the name of my job's janitor)

Archvile - La fosforera que revive muertos (the dead-rising lighter)

Spider Mastermind - La Arañota (The huge spider)

Cyberdemon - El Diablo con una bazuka (The Devil with a bazooka)

Icon of Sin - LA cabeza de cabra, con vagina en la mitad de la cabeza (THe goat head, with a vagina in the middle of the head)

back then in '94 (I was 6) I used to call the barons and the following hell knights "booger dudes"...because I thought they threw boogers at you lol

LOL deum that reminds me one of my friends little brothers would see monsters explode from rockets or bfg and ask why they turned into crabs

demon-shaved chicken
trooper- gunny
sergant- sergant_shotgun
chaingundude- chain_gun_bob
archvile- archbile_banchee

I didn't have any static names for the monsters. It was always random epithets like vaginaface or assholecockmunch, etc.

I basically find it fun to yell and swear at games. It all lies in how creative you can make it. I do note that the above combinations are not very creative at all, but I'll have flashes of genius at times.

zombies (sergeants included) Troopers

Imps- Demons

Demon- Pig

Spectre- Asshole (I always used to die by them)

H.W.D - Chaingunner

Hell Knight & Hell Baron- Minotaurs

Revenant- Skeletons

Arch-Vile- You stupid cocksucker! Or just (MotherFvcker.)

Cacodemon- Pumpkin (read the novels before i found the names :P)

Pain Elemental- Bastard skull shooter

Arachnotron- Spiders

Spider Mastermind- Momma Spider

CyberDemon- HOLY S@#T!

Zombiemen - Greenmen
Shotgun guys - Red men
Imps - Brownmen
Cacodemons - Red monsters
Cyberdemon - Big guy

When i got Doom2. I learnt they're real names

Job said:

No, but a friend of mine had a version with those in it.
I've to admit I don't find it especially bad to not have them... they are crap anyway IMO ;)

baronofhell said:

Alboroto, that list was fucking great, gave me a good laugh.

This list brought so many memories... I'm glad you laughed with it.