Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Mini Bang experiment

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=325&objectid=10400645

The day has come when they have built a machine that can emulate a miniature "Big bag" or developed a black hole. I think I’ll take up smoking while I still can.

"They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low. The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance."

If the theories are correct, the machine will create tiny black holes that evaporate and possibly even find particles that offer evidence that the three dimensions known to mankind are just a fraction of those that exist.

So...if the theories are wrong then we get stretched like spaghetti noodles?

Man...who cares (yes, i know some of you do) about how the universe was started? Once you figure out what the hell are you going to do about it?

There are three stages in life:
1.) What is lunch?
2.) Why do we eat lunch?
3.) What time do you want to have lunch?

From what I understand, small blackholes have already been created in particle accelerators. However, given their size, they evaporate quickly enough to be virtually nonexistant.

Just as North Korea develops atomic weapons, the Swiss develops a weapon that could wipe out the whole planet in one go! (maybe). Its always the quiet ones

Skeletor said:

There are three stages in life:
1.) What is lunch?
2.) Why do we eat lunch?
3.) What time do you want to have lunch?

This is pathetically misquoted.

In relation to the OP - this new story was on Slashdot like a month ago. And I'm surprised no-one here has picked up on the Dan Brown (Angels and Demons) similarity yet. Anti-matter bombs here we come!

AirRaid said:

This is pathetically misquoted.

In relation to the OP - this new story was on Slashdot like a month ago. And I'm surprised no-one here has picked up on the Dan Brown (Angels and Demons) similarity yet. Anti-matter bombs here we come!

I didn't have my copy of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy on hand.

The probability that their probability figure is correct is 0.000000012020569031595 +/- 0.0000000000000000000002.

I wonder if other county officials all hear about this, will they put a stop to it. I mean the technology to open dimensions and create mini bangs can be more dangerous than any weapon if they can use this defensively.

I'm one hundren percent for science reaching the limits but this sounds powerful.

Snarboo said:

From what I understand, small blackholes have already been created in particle accelerators. However, given their size, they evaporate quickly enough to be virtually nonexistant.

There isn't enough matter in our solar system to create a black hole that wouldn't evaporate almost instantaneously.

Hopefully they don't accidently create an improbability field when they do it, or we could be screwed. Sersiouly though, this could be the first step in developing the means to create a faster-then-light method of travel. We could go from our rather primative methods of space travel to Star Trek-like stuff in the matter of a couple decades. That would be sweet. Or it could be like Event Horizon... o_o

Star Trek was created with the invention of the warp engine not the slip gate. It’s more of the lines of Star Gate. But yah this opens up the opportunity of a life time of traveling from place to place in almost instantaneous. But I don't think we're even near advanced enough to contain something as powerful, I mean we still use internal combustion engines.

This is really too big to think about with a clear head and not make reference to a sci-fi movie. Hell we though the mars landing was incredible.

Vegeta said:

Sounds like the very early stages of UAC experiments.

I agree, and this time there won't be any space marine with an arsenal of big guns at his disposal coming in to save us.

Hey, look on the bright side though. If this experiment DOES kill us, none of us will have to go to work/school anymore. :)

Craigs said:

I agree, and this time there won't be any space marine with an arsenal of big guns at his disposal coming in to save us.

But Doom has trained us to be VIOLENT KILLERS, so we should be able to take on whatever comes out of the black hole quite easily.

Those religious fanatics better not catch wind of this, or they'll be touting/selling armageddon/bibles at my doorstep.

Danarchy said:

Or it could be like Event Horizon... o_o

That was a horrible movie. I was expecting sci-fi...instead I get cheesy horror movie.

Technology that leads you into hell?!?!?!?!

Quast said:

There isn't enough matter in our solar system to create a black hole that wouldn't evaporate almost instantaneously.

You mean if we ignore the sun, the planets, moons, asteroids and comets? For reference, here are some evaporation times (numbers not double-checked):

1e-11 s - human
0.1 s - blue whale
700 years - large supertanker
600000 years - great pyramid
7e10 years - world human population
2e40 years - the asteroid belt
6e50 years - earth

I'm confused by that chart, Frederik. Are the items on the right of the evaporation times the mass of the blackhole, or what it has swallowed?

Skeletor said:

Technology that leads you into hell?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I mean like a movie about scientists who create a teleporter that leads people into Hell and they come out insane? Like what if demons came out of the teleporter and started invading Earth? That is so gay!

Snarboo said:

Are the items on the right of the evaporation times the mass of the blackhole, or what it has swallowed?

My guess is it's the time it would take for a black hole composed of that much matter to evaporate.

Snarboo said:

I'm confused by that chart, Frederik. Are the items on the right of the evaporation times the mass of the blackhole, or what it has swallowed?

mass of a black hole = mass of what a black hole has swallowed (counting its creation as an initial "swallowing", of course)

Craigs said:

If this experiment DOES kill us, none of us will have to go to work/school anymore. :)

We also wouldn't have to listen to you.

let's see, in the past month we've seen scientists teleporting matter, now this?

How long until we hear "I think we need to move this kind of experiment to a quarantined location" ?

Doom was only science fiction... right?