Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
protojo

the point?

hi, i'm protojo
now, what is the point of freedoom? you can just get the sharware version which is much better.

Yeah, and people also get to make the resources and levels. Around here we simply like doing that sort of thing.

it's just that freedoom is nowhere near as good as the real thing and i don't like the look of the sprites. it just doesn't feel doomy. if it wasn't called freedoom i might consider it (as a first person shooter, like heretic, except i don't like heretic), but as free doom, it just doesn't seem right.

protojo said:
it just doesn't feel doomy.

It feels freedoomy.

It's not a mod or a TC. It's a free altenative to the commercial games, to play PWADS freely and to give the creators some enjoyment while they work on it.

If you don't like the stuff, that's your thing; you can choose to contribute what you think would be better graphics, you can provide critiques for particular resources or maps, or you can ignore it. But just saying "I don't like it" is like talking to the wind, since it's a community project done by the community and for the community, and not a product someone is selling to you at your door.

protojo said:
it's just that freedoom is nowhere near as good as the real thing and i don't like the look of the sprites.

Well, it is an open project, so you could always join up and make new sprites...

Sometimes it's impossible to add to a statement that completely satisfies my opinions. Myk just made one of these statements.

Agreed. I don't think any of us are really thinking that there are too many people who want to play Doom who won't buy it; it's just a fun project to work on.

But yeah, though, you can't play WADs with shareware Doom. We're not denying that the shareware episode totally rocks. :P

ok, i won't critisize it anymore. another question though. are the sprites not aloud to be the same, or similar to the doom ones because they are quite different?

i retried freedoom (again) and found it wasn't as bad as i thought the last time. but the unfinished sprites are annoying. maybe i'm looking at as as freedoom now instead of free doom :D
(darn smilies don't work, how do i get them to work?)

wow, good job on the textures there! it looks more hell like then doom ever was ;)

protojo said:

ok, i won't critisize it anymore. another question though. are the sprites not aloud to be the same, or similar to the doom ones because they are quite different?

We cannot infringe on IDs trademarks, so we can't make things which are obviously an ID imp, etc.: however, the behaviour of the monsters (hit points, attack type, speed, number of frames in walk animation, etc.) is all dictated by the engine rather than the IWAD, so we're restricted by that.

Legalities aside, we would like to create something which stands on it's own feet, and isn't just a doom implementation.

Also there is no shareware for doom 2, You either buy the full version, the collector's editon (what I have), or you download freedoom FOR FREE!

and people have already Beaten all the doom games. (except HeXen, wich only I seem to have even Played... twice.)

This is kind of like a new doom game, it's fun to get new games.