Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

It's final: Youtube have been aquired by Google

Why would they have ads before videos? Google video doesn't employ that tactic. If you think about it, all the ad schemes Google currently offer are now open for use on YouTube, which might help their funding.

I think that this is a good step, since hopefully the 'rivalry' between google video and youtube will vanish and we'll get one stronger, better site out of it.

Edit: Now I hear the two sites will still run concurrently. Where's the sense in that?

AirRaid said:
Edit: Now I hear the two sites will still run concurrently. Where's the sense in that?

This is common practice; many bigger companies buy competing companies and keep their brands going, even though these compete with their own to a degree. Often the services or products are aimed for slightly or somewhat different consumers or users anyway; in any case they gain customers or users without sacrificing what attracts people in each product or service.

One thing that has been floated as a potential downside by a few business bulletins I have seen/heard/read: there is tonnes of copyright stuff on youtube. Until today, youtube wasn't worth suing because they had "no money". However, with Google behind them, that situation has now changed and youtube has become a viable target for lawyers.

It's probably no coincidence that youtube has also just signed "agreements" (the nature of which I don't know) with some large media groups. I think Universal was one of the groups mentioned.

Youtube has been looking to get permission/whatever for a lot of content for quite a long time. One of the more prominent cases was when they said they wanted to get every music video ever up there legally.

Bah, this is why I hate capitialism excatly for this reason, they leave no room for those who want to function Independently....and the reason is pretty obivious if you fit the pieces together to see the "big picture"...

Nightmare Doom said:

This is Capitalism at work...

companies, money, work... yes, your statement checks out, but still reeks of retarded somehow.

Funny thing. Google may not be a monopoly, but a lot of people do consider it the only "real" search engine around these days.

I can't wait for the google vs Microsoft standoff. It'd be killer.

AirRaid said:

Youtube has been looking to get permission/whatever for a lot of content for quite a long time. One of the more prominent cases was when they said they wanted to get every music video ever up there legally.

Heh, they pretty much do have every music video up there (albiet non-legaly). I went looking for random videos by obscure bands and found them all. It was freaky.

I must say that while it's illegal. I don't see why any of the record lables would really care, they get free exposure of their videos. People see the videos, and buy their stinking albums.

Only thing problematic I can see is when people post entire episodes of shows like South Park and whatnot. But it's still a small thing, since I get south park free on the tv anyway, at better resolution. And it's not like you can chronologically look at all the south park episodes on there. Most of the clips are of just a scene, which just makes me want to find a place where I can find more of South Park. Like buying the DVDs or somesuch.

I think the policy with TV shows is you're allowed to upload a clip or segment, but entire episodes are not allowed.

But then, why on earth would you want to watch an episode of anything on YouTube, when you can find a much better quality rip on most torrent sites. :P

AirRaid said:

I think the policy with TV shows is you're allowed to upload a clip or segment, but entire episodes are not allowed.

But then, why on earth would you want to watch an episode of anything on YouTube, when you can find a much better quality rip on most torrent sites. :P

Shush! I watch Doctor Who episodes in class! :P