Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Th0r said:

In before "wheres the Screens"

Don't wanna spoil it.

Oh, and by the way, it's for ZDoom version 2.1.6 (hasn't been tested with any other version).

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Was that a serious wad? I pretty sure I know the answer but I just felt I should be absolutly sure.

The end part is more serious than the rest.

TomD666 said:

No, I'm sorry, this isn't funny - the humour's all too forced

What humour? It was just plain annoying. If it was an attempt at humour, then it failed pathetically. Although I've noticed most humour in joke wads to be far too forced. The only joke wad I've found to be actually funny is lostsoulsphere, possibly because it was the first real joke wad I played. But it just seems that the jackass dialogue didn't seem as forced, it seemed like it came naturally, like Drunkmagikoopa or Jeff K. Even though they meant to do it, it still seemed genuine.

The last battle was kind of interesting. Turned based boss battles in Doom is something I haven't seen before. Problem was that it was too long. I used iddqd to beat it, since the acid attack would've killed me well before I killed him. I did like that part, but it needs more work... but I think a turn-based doom game would be kind of cool, at least on the bosses. And inventory system would be almost necessary though, so you could save health packs for the boss fights. Kind of reminded me of the Demon Wall boss from Final Fantasy II (Or IV, whatever)though.

Jello said:

The last battle was kind of interesting. Turned based boss battles in Doom is something I haven't seen before. Problem was that it was too long. I used iddqd to beat it, since the acid attack would've killed me well before I killed him. I did like that part, but it needs more work... but I think a turn-based doom game would be kind of cool, at least on the bosses. And inventory system would be almost necessary though, so you could save health packs for the boss fights. Kind of reminded me of the Demon Wall boss from Final Fantasy II (Or IV, whatever)though.

The damage from the attacks:

If you played UV, try HMP. It's possible to beat it on UV (luck and skill based, you need to be able to dodge the fireballs and be resourceful with the items I spawn--see below)

Most of the testing was done at HMP (I wanted to make sure the easy levels were downright easy, HMP was not too hard, but not too easy, and UV was hard).

With items/inventory: (this is how the sequence works at the moment)

I spawn 2 Medikits for the acid attack, and one green armor and a medikit for the firestorm. But, to make the battle a little more challenging, I used Thing_Remove at the end (which means I remove the Medikits/Green Armor if not taken at the end of every attack).

The boss would have been alot nicer if it had more attacks and if the attacks where shorter in duration.

impClaw said:

The boss would have been alot nicer if it had more attacks and if the attacks where shorter in duration.

Actually, after fighting the boss several times, I'd have to say I agree with you. I might add a couple more attacks later on.

Bashe said:

lol, all you have to do is jump on top of the eye thing and you can't lose. :B

I put the eye thing there as a warning to you where the fireballs would be coming from. You are not supposed to use jump in this battle at all (it should be obvious).

Not supposed to? Yes
Did anyways? Yes >:D

If you really don't want players to exploit something like that, make it inaccessible.

Bashe said:

Not supposed to? Yes
Did anyways? Yes >:D

If you really don't want players to exploit something like that, make it inaccessible.

Well that just spoils it now, doesn't it?

I don't care who jumps and who doesn't, but the way to get the most fun is not to jump. Yesh, I need to give it a few more attacks.

P.S. My mapping isn't good at all; I'll probably be better off coding maps for others.

Vegeta said:

Hey do you think you could add your scripting work onto this wad of mine? http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12656

Feel free to take the sprite if it helps on something. Another idea could be to replace the marble face with the Icon of Sin.

Alright, I will see what I can do (I think I will make it something completely different)

I do not do DEHACKED, and will completely replace it with DECORATE.

TheDarkArchon said:

Yes, because everyone has to use vanilla or else they suck AMIRITE?

Its TDA to the rescue! Jumping when you know you arent supposed to is absolutely retarded regardless. This children is where we get people claiming stuff like "OMG I can do magnificent feats in the IWADs" and "this map is broken I jumped a crate and cant get back".

BTW you fail. I havent used vanilla in ages.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Its TDA to the rescue! Jumping when you know you arent supposed to is absolutely retarded regardless.

But common sense dictates that if you map for a port that has jumping, you account for jumping.

The wad was not intended for jumping (hence that's why I spawn 2 medikits during every acid attack and a green armor and a medikit for every fire attack). I thought it was obvious.

Pure Hellspawn said:

The wad was not intended for jumping (hence that's why I spawn 2 medikits during every acid attack and a green armor and a medikit for every fire attack). I thought it was obvious.

If you don't want people to jump in your map, you should either explicitly state it in the text file or disable jumping in MAPINFO ("nojump" in the map definition). If I don't see either in a ZDoom level set, I assume the level has been designed with jumping taking into account.

HobbsTiger1 said:

To me common sense involves both the user and the mapper.

If we weren't discussing some meritless jokewad your point would have made sense.

Well, I played it on UV, so that would explain why it seemed nearly impossible. I also didn't realize that the items spawned every attack... that would make it alot easier! But that's my fault for not paying attention. It would be nice if the attacks didn't take as long, or if there were more. Three or four attacks would be just fine, but having just the two, and the fact that they alternated every time just made it seem to drag on. Or just reduce the health of the boss. A lightning attack would be kind of cool... I suppose a plasma attack would be easier though... just have it shoot out two streams of arachnatron type plasma for an attack or something, if that's possible. A bit more variation would go a long way, but I really like the idea behind the battle.

The jumping issue, I think is an interesting one. Honestly, I think if you're making a wad that's zdoom specific, that absolutely needs zdoom coding to make it work, then you need to account for jumping. Jumping is a pretty simple function, one I think should've been in doom to begin with, and as far as I know was a very early part of zdoom, but I might be wrong. I know some people put "no jumping" in the text files, but alot of people don't read them before playing, I usually read about half of them before playing, just in case. But I think if you're making something that requires zdoom, you should realize that people are probably going to jump, and if that bugs you, you should take steps to prevent it, such as invisibly blocking areas you don't want them to access. However, people also shouldn't complain when they jump and manage to screw themselves over severely. Honestly, IDCLIP isn't that hard to type in. So that's how I feel. If you require a source port that has jumping, don't be surprised if people jump. And if you're playing a wad that enables you to jump, and you screw yourself over, then don't bitch, just start again. Alot of newer games allow you to kill yourself or get stuck, or screw the game up if you jump in the wrong place, so doom shouldn't surprise you at all.