Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

New items with DeHackEd?

This may be a bit silly and not entirely worth the effort, but is there any way to add new items via WhackEd2 or DeHackEd? (I've been told DeHackEd allows more customization but haven't gotten it working yet) What I'm looking to do is add a 50 armor vest and a new health powerup that heals 5 and allows you to go over 100, like the normal health bonuses.

While I'm starting a new thread, I was also wondering about changing or adding items dropped by monsters. For example, a plasma gun toting marine that actually drops a plasma gun when killed.

For the record, I don't want to use any advanced ports like ZDoom. I'm trying to keep my WAD Boom-compatible.

RoneKyakone said:
What I'm looking to do is add a 50 armor vest and a new health powerup that heals 5 and allows you to go over 100, like the normal health bonuses.

Neither is possible with DeHackEd.

While I'm starting a new thread, I was also wondering about changing or adding items dropped by monsters. For example, a plasma gun toting marine that actually drops a plasma gun when killed.

Not unless you sacrifice another dropped weapon (clip, shotgun, or chaingun).

So, let me just clarify -- there is absolutely no way to do what I want to do and still be compatible with Boom, correct?

The 50 point armor isn't possible since you can make only two types of armor, and their protection must be in hundreds (100, 200, 300, etc.), and it's not possible to modify how much a potion adds (at best you can stack 5 poitions in the same location of the map to emulate what you want).

Dropped items are limited to the ones you see in the game, and you may only swap or modify those, but not add more.

DeHackEd is mainly for swapping info that's already in the engine (except fot texts), so you can't really add stuff without taking from somewhere.

But in Zdoom you can add new monsters and force them to drop the desired item via decorate.
Another option (also for Zdoom), more tedious, but simple, with a Zdoom level editor add your monster in the map, then specify in the atributes to spawn the item you want over the entity with certain "thing id" (the same monster, you must give the monster that id of course). Problem with this is that you have to repeat the same with each monster you want to drop the item, because if you give all the monsters of the same kind the same "thing id", then when one of them dies, the item would be spawned over all of them.

I mean

Monster with thing id 1, specify "summon no fog: your item", thing id to spawn: 1
Monster with thing id 2, specify "summon no fog: your item", thing id to spawn: 2
Monster with thing id 3, specify "summon no fog: your item", thing id to spawn: 3

And so on...

It's very simple once you understand what're you doing, with this you can add whatever you want, spawn another monsters, weapons, health items, bodies, pillars.

Hope it helps.

Damn. Well, thanks anyway. And Vegeta, I appreciate your advice but I really do want to stay away from ZDoom.

Bruno Vergílio said:

Damnit! there must be a way to add new monsters without using zdoom...

Use EDGE *shot*

Seriously, it's kinda impossible to do without using a source port (Replacing decorations and such with monsters is as much as you can do. The dead lost soul is ideal for this and so are the Pain Elemental's resurrect frames.)

RoneKyakone said:

So, let me just clarify -- there is absolutely no way to do what I want to do and still be compatible with Boom, correct?

Dehacked only allows you to modify things, not create new ones. However, you could probably change a piece of decoration or a monster that you don't plan on using into armor or ammo.

I don't get it. Why can't he just use DECORATE and put it in ZDoom? ZDoom is basically BOOM with added features, anyways. I don't get the difference.

Pure Hellspawn said:

I don't get it. Why can't he just use DECORATE and put it in ZDoom? ZDoom is basically BOOM with added features, anyways. I don't get the difference.

RoneKyakone said:

For the record, I don't want to use any advanced ports like ZDoom. I'm trying to keep my WAD Boom-compatible.

If he uses DECORATE, it won't be compatible with other ports.

Pure Hellspawn said:

ZDoom is basically BOOM with added features, anyways. I don't get the difference.

ZDoom isn't even based off BOOM. Go figure.

Pure Hellspawn said:

No. There's a reason Alterworldruler's wads don't run with Boom. Although Zdoom fixes many of the original Doom bugs that Boom fixed (Which is pretty standard now.)
You were partially right about Zdoom being like Boom with added features. Although it does support most of Boom's features, DECORATE is one of those "Added Features" you mentioned. :)

mmmmm well, I've just set up dehacked here. I have some questions... I know how to change the hit points, speed, reaction time (already tested them) but where to change the weapon speed?! or for example, can't I make the monster firing faster!? I don't mean reaction time... ammm, turn a shotgun into a machine gun (not as fast as a rail gun, but a little faster than the shotgun)... ammm and... Craig... you said before "you could probably change a piece of decoration or a monster that you don't plan on using into armor or ammo". Can I change any decoration into a monster?! :\...

Bruno Vergílio said:
but where to change the weapon speed?! or for example, can't I make the monster firing faster!?

Decrease the duration (tic) of the weapon attack frames. The tic is what tells the engine how fast it should switch from one frame (with a particular action / codepointer) to the next.

Can I change any decoration into a monster?! :\

Yes. Keep in mind that you do not have "extra" frames. You'll need to free up frames to code in your new monster... and with "freeing up" we really mean butcher existing stuff.

An often used approach is to use stuff you won't be using in your level(s) anyway... for example, the Wolfenstein soldier, or monsters you plan on replacing. Important: you cannot give frames that originally have a codepointer "0" (meaning, no action) anything other than action "0", and frames with a non-zero codepointer cannot be changed into a zeroed one.

For info on Dehacked, see our tutorials section, at "exe editing" (at the bottom).

Mordeth said:
Important: you cannot give frames that originally have a codepointer "0" (meaning, no action) anything other than action "0", and frames with a non-zero codepointer cannot be changed into a zeroed one.

For pure (Doom compatible) DeHackEd that is true, though under the BEX (Boom extended) format, you may mix the two types of frames freely.

mmmmm ok... it's beacuse I wanted to do some stuff for wolfendoom, but I'd like to create the bosses... but ok, I can replace them with the doom monsters anyway... ammmm... for wall textures (this time without dehacked)... there's no problem if I add more, right!? and can I use xwe or wintex to do this!?

Bruno Vergílio said:
for wall textures (this time without dehacked)... there's no problem if I add more, right!? and can I use xwe or wintex to do this!?

Correct.

Ok thx :D!!!
Hey Mordeth, I've just downloaded that zipped htm page. Hey it's great!!! there are lots of tips to edit the original doom. Mmm, in this htm, there's a way to make a grenade launcher (replacing plasma gun)... Mordeth, d'you know how to make a HAND GRENADE, but this time for replacing BFG!? thx!

Craigs said:

Dehacked only allows you to modify things, not create new ones. However, you could probably change a piece of decoration or a monster that you don't plan on using into armor or ammo.

Adding new enemies this way is easy -- I've done it a number of times, but there doesn't seem to be any way to make things into items. There is a checkbox for "can be picked up" as well as "dropped by enemy". (I don't get how that one works, but that's beside the point) Being able to pick something up doesn't really help, though, if it doesn't actually do anything. To my knowledge, there's no way to make a picked up item give you armor, health, or any type of ammo.

That's essentially what I was asking when I started the thread and it seems the answer is that it's impossible.

MF_DROPPED is a flag that is used internally. It is added to items dropped by monsters for two reasons:

1. It causes items to give less ammo
2. It causes items to be crushed by any sector movement they block (this includes closing doors).

Mmmmm I got to make a hand grenade using bfg. Just have to to mark (X) NO GRAVITY... so, when you fire, the fireball (which can be replaced by a grenade), instead of going forward, goes down, but here are some questions... when the bfg ball hits an enemy, not only he's hit, but everyone that you look is hit too... if you put (X) NO GRAVITY, this doesn't happen, and I don't know why... another thing is that when you use this grenade type, if you get near, you get hurt too... so... I really don't understand this hehehe... if someone has a good answer for this... post it here **!!!!

Ahh now I figured it out!! there are two explosions: the rocket explosion, and the bfg explosion... the rocket frame is 127, and the bfg fram is 117... so if in DEATH FRAME you put 117, it'll be like a bfg explosion, the only difference is that it goes down, but if you put DEATH FRAME = 127, it'll be like a rocket explosion, and will hurt everyone who's near it... just have to know now what makes frame 117 to hit everyone you see, not only the one you hit with the fireball, and what makes frame 127 to hit who's near :D!!!

RoneKyakone said:

Being able to pick something up doesn't really help, though, if it doesn't actually do anything. To my knowledge, there's no way to make a picked up item give you armor, health, or any type of ammo.

Yes the trouble is that when you touch a collectable thing Doom identifies it by its sprite number. That is to say, if you want a collectable thing to act like a soulsphere, it has to look like a soulsphere.

RjY said:

if you want a collectable thing to act like a soulsphere, it has to look like a soulsphere.

You can change sprite names via the F7 text editor and make gettable things look as you wish. I was able to make medikits look like red inanimate invulnerabilities and say "Healthsphere" when picked up. The same way you can make gettable mana look like partially invisible candles, demon dolls look like (dmgraphed) demons, blur artifacts completely invisible, and so on.

As RjY said, It's the sprite number (also known as thing number, and not to be confused with thing ID) which is important, rather the sprite name. For example, the medikit's thing number is 55, and the soulsphere's is 56.

Unless you're aiming for vanilla Doom compatability, it isn't really neccessary to change the sprite name, as you can simply replace the original graphics. (Using new sprite names is useful in vanilla Doom, because if you replace existing frames, you need to include every single sprite from the game in your pwad.)

FYI, you don't need to stick with the frames from the original game, either. For example, you could quite easily make your medikit use SOULE0 - SOULH0, if you so desired.

Bungleist said:
FYI, you don't need to stick with the frames from the original game, either. For example, you could quite easily make your medikit use SOULE0 - SOULH0, if you so desired.

You mean MEDIB0 - MEDIE0, unless he wants it to act like another Supercharge.

Err no, I did mean SOULE0 - SOULH0 in my example. As has already been said, it's the thing number that determines an item's behaviour, not the sprite name.