Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shotgunmasacre2

WIP: My first crappy map

Well, I have to say that I at least will try to map. Here are some screens from it. Feedback will b INCREDIBLY thankful. Oh, and dont forget to tell me how bad they are ;)

*sigh* No no, by all means, keep going. A couple of square rooms with 30 sectors on the ceilings is a great start.

Crappy? First map?...I don't think it looks crappy. You should see some of my first maps...Full time crap-fest there.

I think what Use was trying to say is that what you've got here is a square room with lots of ceiling detail that does absolutely nothing to contribute to the gameplay. Experiment with different room shapes, ledges, pillars, angled walls, etc...that's how you really make a room interesting. Of course, once you've done that, there's nothing wrong with adding some detail purely for appearance purposes, as long as it's not getting in the way of gameplay.

Mike

It looks nice. Is it really your first map? :o I think it's a good level, as for graphics.
I would deepen those "holes" to 16 pixels, so that you can see the whole "yellow and black strip".

Ismaele said:

I would deepen those "holes" to 16 pixels, so that you can see the whole "yellow and black strip".

I would never use that tekgren texture like that it looks ugly imo, its not that bad for an first map though I seem to get the impression you did put too much effort into detail and too less in an good layout.

Thanks guys for some of the tips I will see that I incoperate these into the design. I will post more screens when I feel that I am ready to display some more useless junk ;)

esselfortium said:

I think what Use was trying to say is that what you've got here is a square room with lots of ceiling detail that does absolutely nothing to contribute to the gameplay...

Essel has decrypted my doomspeak. He must be destroyed..or is that cuddled? Hrmm....

Just remember not to focus your map 100% detail like today's mappers... focus at least 2 or 3% on gameplay and success is assured.

Mivalekan said:

Just remember not to focus your map 100% detail like today's mappers... focus at least 2 or 3% on gameplay and success is assured.

Its kinda funny that you should happen to mention that, I always look for the gameplay aspect when I play a wad, but seeing how every loves their detail so much I should try to incorperate both.

Sorry about the DP, but I have some new screens. Keep in mind that these are still a little rough.

Same room from a different view

Looking foward to some feedback, I know you wont let me down.

I think it looks awsome. I love uber detail, and the designs spiffy. If the gameplay matches, it'll be preachworthy. :D

You seem to use FLAT23 a lot. I don't know if it makes sense, but try to think more in terms of materials, and not just textures. By materials, I mean the top of something should be made out of something resembling the sides of it.

Take your second screenshot (in your last post). On top of the BROWN1 should be something like CEIL3_2 or maybe FLOOR0_1. Neither of those look perfect, but better. METAL2 tends to be a little harder, but CEIL5_1 looks decent.

Darkfyre said:

I think it looks awsome. I love uber detail, and the designs spiffy. If the gameplay matches, it'll be preachworthy. :D

Holy shit thanks. Preachworthy? Thats odd, but flattering. I wont let you down (I hope)

Oh, an Rone, that isnt flat23, but I get your point.

Concentrate less on adding detail and more on texturing and lighting. Can't think of much else to say about it.

If nothing helps, edit the shipped textures, at least i wouldnt mind.
And if you intend this to be a zdoom only map then have a look at the possibility to use any texture anywhere. And when you use zdoom, use the "new" pk3 format (its just an ordinary zip renamed to pk3), makes life easier as you dont need to take heed to any structure besides putting the new textures in the "Textures" directory.

Otherwise, if this map is going to play as it looks i am looking forward into playing it, even if its going to be for Legacy or something similiar.... :D

boris said:

Sucks.

Agreed. I took one look at it and said "What the Fuck." Is he trying to recreate wow?

Actually that's not what I think. I have to admit, the first two screenshots looked pretty bad. They were more or less square rooms with elaborate floor/ceiling detail, but the latest ones were a lot better IMO.