Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

EE 3.33.50 RC1

I've uploaded the release candidate for 3.33.50. This is NOT the official release yet for several reasons:

1. There are always problems in the release. I want a chance to fix them before making this official.
2. Dev-C++ and DJGPP builds are broken at the moment and will be fixed. The source archive will be updated when this happens.
3. DOS build hasn't been made yet.
4. Linux build is missing some files from the distrib archive (just license and text file though).

So, get to testing this and complaining about all the problems!

Win32 Binaries: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3.33.50-win32.zip

Linux Binaries: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3_33_50-linux.tar.gz

Source Code: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3.33.50-src.zip

Text File: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3.33.50.txt

Documentation: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3.33.50-docs.zip

Spare EDFs: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3.33.50-edf.zip

Small Compiler: http://eternity.mancubus.net/ee3.33.50-small.zip

You will also need this:
http://eternity.mancubus.net/conbind.csc

The first time you run EE, add this to the command line:
-exec conbind.csc

This will add default bindings for the new dynamic console keybindings in case you are using an old keys.csc. If you do not use an old keys.csc, then you do not need to do this. If you already did this for SVN revision 116 release, you do not need to do it again.

BTW, you can respond to these threads :P Just because they're stickies doesn't mean they are closed ;)

Good. I made several changes that should have taken care of problems with responders interfering with each other, and with the menus getting popped up when they don't need to be popped up. Thanks for testing that to verify ;)

Why is it that Eternity never remembers what page I'm on in a multi-paged options menu? This is especailly annoying if you have "Escape Backs Up" turned off.

And how do I turn the start map off?

AlexMax said:

Why is it that Eternity never remembers what page I'm on in a multi-paged options menu? This is especailly annoying if you have "Escape Backs Up" turned off.

And how do I turn the start map off?

That would be a design oversight and not one simply fixed. I'll look into it for the next version though :)

Start map option lives on page 2 of Wad Options IIRC. Or you can use the menu search feature to find it if you don't trust my memory ;)

I didn't find any bugs when I fired it up to go through MAP01. Is 1024x768 seriously the max resolution, though? It looks pretty dinky on a 20'' widescreen... The native resolution is 1680x1050; if 16:10 isn't supported I would at least hope to be able to play at 1400x1050.

I know what you mean, I have a 19" 1600x1200 monitor. I typically use 640x400 windowed because I dislike the scaling artifacts that occur with non-multiple-of 320x200 resolutions and the vertical stretching that occurs with non 1.6 aspect ratio resolutions.

I noticed this Eternity screenshot. Is there a way to use 960x600 as a resolution?

Hi there.

So far, no problems with the new release candidate. Ambience sounds are cool, swirl flats work again, polyobjs ok too and no problem with codepointers. Only strange thing is that in maps with no reject table (builded in zennode with -r-) monsters are more resistant to rockets. For example, arachnotrons take 6 hits to die and Cacos 4. I see these behavior in old doom maps. Not a big problem but i don't build reject table while testing my maps because of its time consuming. Only rebuild it when i'm close to release a wad.
Another thing i note is that lighting/thunder effects apply to portal sectors, even when those not have F_SKY ceiling texture.
Other, in fullscreen mode, blues look horrible, but in windowed mode looks OK. Probably are issues concernig my monitor or Videocard.

Cya!

See the FAQ question on setting resolutions from the command line to see how to use 960x600 (there are a number of options I'd rather not try to explain here). The FAQ is in the docs package ;)

And yes, 1024x768 is currently the resolution cap. This may be improved in future versions however.

NokturnuS: The reject has no effect on monster damage so you must just be having bad luck with low hitdice rolls :P Of the behaviors you mentioned, the lightning one may be an actual bug. The entire thunder/lightning effect needs to be rewritten anyway ;)

Before i forget, here is the wad i used to test the steamspawn codepointer.

Some other wads i have laying around are:

jo_gib uses the new ThingThrust and ThingThrust3f codepointers to have ROTT style gibs in EE, and emulates the CIF3 blood splattering on screen effect (using the ThingGetPos function or whatever it's called. No small source file for it unfortuntely, i deleted it by accident.

jo_eject uses patch widgets for duke3d style bullet case ejection with the pistol. The only downside is that they show up on the automap but this could be fixed by checking if you're in the automap before drawing them (using the InAutomap small function). You may need to check for the HUD type too as patch widgets moving over the classic doom status bar can cause graphical glitches. This can be done with the GetHUDMode funciton iirc.

A second jo_eject was made, this time casings are ejected with the ThingThrust functions. Not as good looking imo. Another feature of this wad is that the pistol now reloads every 13 or so shots, done entirely in edf with counters, which is nice :P. I deleted the small source file for this too, but it's easy enough to recreate.

A third nice wad which i lost the small source to is jo_score. It implements a scoring system in doom with a nice little custom menu so you can switch the score message on/off. Probably done using patch widgets :P

EDIT: Files didn't have what i expected in them :P
EDIT2: jo_score is slightly broken in that the score goes back to 0 at the start of every level. This could easily be rectified though i'm sure :P

Quasar said:
NokturnuS: The reject has no effect on monster damage so you must just be having bad luck with low hitdice rolls :P

NokturnuS mentioned the one case where the reject does have an effect on weapon damage :)

NokturnuS said:
Only strange thing is that in maps with no reject table (builded in zennode with -r-) monsters are more resistant to rockets

Consider splash damage. This isn't applied if the line of sight check fails, which can happen with an incorrect reject.

At a guess, NokturnuS started off making a map, letting Zennode make a reject lump. When it began to take an age to build, he added -r- to speed things up. This leaves the wad's reject lump alone, it doesn't delete what's already there. Then, he added more sectors, resulting in a short reject - not zero-length, but nevertheless fewer than (numsectors**2) bits long.

Eternity only handles the case of a reject of length exactly zero. If the reject length is greater than zero, it just caches the lump, without trying to pad it or anything. So if the map contains a short reject lump, then checking the reject map is going to overflow the cached lump block and access memory higher up the heap. Hence, reading ones that should be zeroes, hence, sight checks in rocket splash damage calculation failing.

A short REJECT lump should normally be considered broken. There's just no way it can match the current map.

OoooOOOhhhh... I see. This makes sense all of a sudden, and I wouldn't have realized it on my own. What do other ports do about this?

RjY said:
At a guess, NokturnuS started off making a map, letting Zennode make a reject lump. When it began to take an age to build, he added -r- to speed things up. This leaves the wad's reject lump alone, it doesn't delete what's already there. Then, he added more sectors, resulting in a short reject - not zero-length, but nevertheless fewer than (numsectors**2) bits long.
[/B]

Exactly. I solved the problem building a zero reject table (-rz) and things now run OK. I remembered reading somewhere that you can achieve some special effects tweaking the reject table. Comes to mind map 22 in Requiem (Arachnophobia) where there's a sector where splash damage coming from rockets don't hurt you (the one behind the tall red brick building).

Quasar said:

OoooOOOhhhh... I see. This makes sense all of a sudden, and I wouldn't have realized it on my own. What do other ports do about this?

ZDoom discards such an invalid REJECT table and prints a warning. However, I think most other ports just crash if they try to access the missing data.

Quasar said:

And yes, 1024x768 is currently the resolution cap. This may be improved in future versions however.

Speaking of what it would take to get Eternity more popular... ;)

ZDoom discards such an invalid REJECT table and prints a warning. However, I think most other ports just crash if they try to access the missing data.

In Doomsday, a warning is dumped to the console and currently we ignore the short REJECT lump and allocate a zero filled table of the correct size. Thats only if REJECT padding is enabled though, else we app error and quit.

Quasar said:

My sarcasm meter is reading quite high...

EDGE shows a warning (on console/log file) if REJECT is too small (or zero size) and disables the reject testing code.

It doesn't care if the REJECT is too large, perhaps it should?

Quasar said:

See the FAQ question on setting resolutions from the command line to see how to use 960x600 (there are a number of options I'd rather not try to explain here). The FAQ is in the docs package ;)

I'm adding

-v_width 960 -v_height 600 -window

to the command line, but Eternity still starts in the previously selected resolution. Is there something I've overlooked?

Doom_user said:

I'm adding

-v_width 960 -v_height 600 -window

to the command line, but Eternity still starts in the previously selected resolution. Is there something I've overlooked?

It's -vwidth not -v_width and -vheight not -v_height.

Ajapted said:

My sarcasm meter is reading quite high...

EDGE shows a warning (on console/log file) if REJECT is too small (or zero size) and disables the reject testing code.

It doesn't care if the REJECT is too large, perhaps it should?

Your meter is broken :P Anyway, these are some interesting solutions, and I'll think about one for the next version.

for some reason sounds are screwing up. it sounds like a skipping CD, and it's rare. I only noticed it while playing holyhell.wad. windows will try to close Eternity after this happens.

Can't recreate in general, and no one else has mentioned. Sounds like a system-specific problem with SDL Mixer, or a problem with this particular wad.

I have seen this, however I do not know what is causing it. It seems to have started after I changed the clipping arrays to 32-bit. At first I assumed DOOM did this already, but after having seen it so much, I really don't think it did. Any ideas? I automatically suspect the spanstart array since it has to do with floor drawing.

Did anyone notice how dark the water is in this version?
Is this a bug or can it be corrected with a command or an EDF edit?
This bug is also in Prboom+.
In windowed mode the blues looks normal as NokturnuS pointed out.

This is an SDL bug. It should be fixed in the official 3.33.50 release, which will be out this week (it's Thanksgiving Break so I've finally got time to finalize everything -- as an extra bonus, the new official release will also include rudimentary EDF skin & player class support ^_^)

I get an error message every time I try to quicksave: "unknown BEX mnemonic QSPROMPT". It doesn't crash the time I select the slot, but it does when my quicksave slot is already established. Also, there's some issues with mouse sensitivity. I use a horizontal mouse sensitivity of 100, and I'm definitely not getting it. I feel like I have to throw my mouse across the room to turn around. Also, when you look at the sensitivity bar in the menu, it's way off the screen. You apparently didn't anticipate people going past the max sensitivity you can set in the game :P

Thanks, this BEX string issue was missed in the recent rewrite of the DEH/BEX string system. As for the mouse... that entire system is a damn mess. The console variable/slider limitation is actually fraggle's fault in this case, but the sensitivity not working properly is anybody's guess. You're only the hundredth or so person to have a problem with it :(