Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bfg10k

Doom on the news

(unfortunately) my school has channel 1 and we are forced to watch it. today they were talking about some "discipline" school, and compared it to normal american life (dont ask). that's when they showed some footage of someone playing Doom on his/her computer. (he had a double barrel out so it wasnt ultimate doom... unless s/he used mods of course.

never thought i'd seem Doom on the news anymore.

i have never seen doom on the news before, and from what i've heard, its been a while

maybe your (i guess) sarcasm seeing that NEWS is not a good topic tag, but still, its relavant to the topic, seeing that it was on the news, and maybe some major doomies out there would like to hear about doom reaching out into the world. so maybe NEWS is a good tag. its only a matter of opinion really

I've probably seen Doom on the news at one point or another. At the very least, I've seen it in various TV broadcasts dozens of times. It pops up a fair bit.

really? i never happen to see it... bad luck i guess. it's sad, the one news station i hate shows one of my favorite games...

DooM was also on Family Guy once, and it also features prominently (along with a history of 3D shooters) in Chrisopher Brookmyre's novel "A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away" (it's about a terrorist, and the only man who can stop him learned all he knows about stopping baddies from playing 3D shooters).

When I was a freshman, we watched some video in health about depression and stuff, and the video was about some kid who apparently shot his school and stuff, and for about one minute in the beginning, it played the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE x32 e1m1 song, showing the kid's room, with the cliche violent drawings, toy guns, etc. before it finally showed the kid playing x32 Doom for about 5 seconds. It bothered me for the rest of the day, since not only was it yet another "blame Doom" scenario, but they used the x32 version and played the HORRIBLE e1m1 music OVER AND OVER.

TooMuchSpareTime said:
it's about a terrorist, and the only man who can stop him learned all he knows about stopping baddies from playing 3D shooters

Does he execute rocket jumps, strafe running, and key grabs, or abuse clipping glitches to stop this terrorist?

myk said:

Does he execute rocket jumps, strafe running, and key grabs, or abuse clipping glitches to stop this terrorist?

Someone should inform the Pentagon on these tricks. Then they'll catch Osama for sure!

dutch devil said:

DooM was in the movie Congo as well :)

The movie about a killer gorilla?

There's about 5 seconds of Doom in Breakdown with Kurt Russell. Pretty cool movie.

I believe channel 1 is advertising that the school shows its students in exchange for funding. Obviously this is a problem because children are more easily influenced by advertising but the schools need the money.

xit-vono said:

I believe channel 1 is advertising that the school shows its students in exchange for funding. Obviously this is a problem because children are more easily influenced by advertising but the schools need the money.

exactly... lets buy cell phones we don't need... course i'm not in h.s. any longer, but alas in the higher collegiate rankings, so no more nonsensical bs like this.

gemini09 said:

There's about 5 seconds of Doom in Breakdown with Kurt Russell. Pretty cool movie.

I just watched that movie for the second time in years a few days ago, forgot how cool it was. The Doom thing caught me off guard too, I had completely forgotten about it :)

gemini09 said:

Gorilas there were more than one I liked that movie the doom scene was an big surprise cause I didn't knew it was in it.

gemini09 said:

I saw movie once when I was up at two in the morning watching tv. The Doom part was a suprise.

And I have seen Doom on the news before. It was when they where blaming it for columbine.

From what I was told in high school, channel 1 has a deal with schools. They'll put a TV in every classroom, that can be used for whatever purpose, but they have to show students the channel 1 news show every day. It's basically a news program that's about 15 minutes long, geard towards kids, and dumbed down so much that it's really pointless to watch. I assume all the money that they get to put the TVs in class rooms is gathered from advertisers. All I can recall from the commercials is IN YOUR FACE mountain dew ads and the like. It's really disgusting, watered down, pro-american, pro-human rights bull shit that has no validity in the real world.

Jello said:

From what I was told in high school, channel 1 has a deal with schools. They'll put a TV in every classroom, that can be used for whatever purpose, but they have to show students the channel 1 news show every day. It's basically a news program that's about 15 minutes long, geard towards kids, and dumbed down so much that it's really pointless to watch. I assume all the money that they get to put the TVs in class rooms is gathered from advertisers. All I can recall from the commercials is IN YOUR FACE mountain dew ads and the like. It's really disgusting, watered down, pro-american, pro-human rights bull shit that has no validity in the real world.

It's validity is about the same as MTV's validity.

I live in Littleton colorado. I remember the day that those guys went to columbine high and shot those kids. i was 9 yrs old. Doom was on the news for about a week, after a few people pressed charges against id software. It was on the news again when "Super Columbine Massacre RPG" came out (the second half of the game is DooM) a few months ago...

Jello said:

That's... pretty perverted.

Oh god, I remember Channel One. My middle school's (and high school's, but to a lesser extent) schedule was built around making sure that everybody gets to see it every day. The commercials were the best part. I wouldn't know all that much about what I was missing, though, as I made Channel One time my reading/homework/internet time.

Freakin' Noob said:

I live in Littleton colorado. I remember the day that those guys went to columbine high and shot those kids. i was 9 yrs old. Doom was on the news for about a week, after a few people pressed charges against id software. It was on the news again when "Super Columbine Massacre RPG" came out (the second half of the game is DooM) a few months ago...

Whoever made 'Super Columbine Massacre RPG' should be burned alive. It's just like that World Trade Center movie: It's capitalizing on tragedy, which is bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the Columbne Massacre was caused by Doom, I just hate that most of these Jack(ass) Thompson-esque retards refuse to listen to one simple piece of common sense:

Millions, possibly billions of people played Doom just as, or more obsessively than Harris or Kelbold did, and yet they were driven by Doom alone to go on killing rampages? If a game inspires someone to go on a rampage, the problem is with that person, not the game. I'm not trying to desecrate their memories, but I have to say that to try suing a company for making a game is bullshit.

Hell, when Harris and Kelbold were planning this, where were their parents? Surely they'd notice a shotgun missing from the gun closet. But nope, it couldn't possibly be the fact that they're tormented at school. Could it be that they may have had mental illness? No, apparently not, because they played Doom, so it must be Doom's fault! Freakin' assholes (directed at those who sued id Software, instead of those damned bullies who drove Harris and Kelbold to kill).

video games dont destroy people!
their gaming habbits do.
If people just were smart enough like us to know its just a game, we probaly wouldnt have liberals like bill clinton trying to take video games away and make them educational. The thought of playing doom and having to answer an algebra question before shooting a shotgun than dieing if you get the problem wrong makes me sick! doom and other video games are not the cause of violence.
Its just like the guns motto
"guns dont kill! people do!"
id games should of never been sued because theres nonthing they could of done. Id software hadnt even heard of the two boys at the time.