Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scet

Patch offsets

Sorry, another technical question for Doom.Net.

The problem is with the patch "top offset". I know what it's supposed to do, the soulsphere floats and weapons/keys hover just above the ground. The problem is that most monsters and other items seem to sink into the ground. When viewing the patches in SLumpEd it shows that they're all 4 pixels below the origin. Is there a reason for this? Am I just supposed to fix it so they rest on the ground?

This is so that the middle part of their foot seems to be where they really meet the ground, given the perspective implied within the sprites themselves. Moving them up so that their toes are at ground height usually doesn't look correct. It depends on the individual sprite.

So should I just set the items below the origin so they rest on the ground and leave the monsters alone?

In a GL port, you need to move the monsters (etc) up to ground level, otherwise their feet get clipped by the floor polygon, which looks very bad.

Have a look at Doom3D's sprite rendering. Not sure, how it works, but I found it to my liking. At least there's no sinking into floor.

Sprites look bad in GL ports anyway. Here's a high-resolution anti-aliased bilinear-filtered world with flat blurry billboards walking around in it. Yuck. They look so fake and awful.

Sprites are very low resolution graphics, unfortunately they will never look good. Not even with a software renderer in high screen resolutions, those pixels become huge ugly square blocks close up. 3D ports allow for even higher screen resolutions, worsening the case. If you apply filtering, they become blurry. Puting them in front of high resolution textures makes the case even worse.

Someone might want to "digitally remaster" the original sprites, if copyright permits. I'm no artist for sure.

Doom's sprites are fine in GL. The frequent glitches of the software renderer bother me considerably more.

Quasar said:

Sprites look bad in GL ports anyway. Here's a high-resolution anti-aliased bilinear-filtered world with flat blurry billboards walking around in it. Yuck. They look so fake and awful.

Yeah if you tell it to render them that way they most certainly would.

Mancubus II said:

Yeah if you tell it to render them that way they most certainly would.

Strange. On my monitor Doom looks fine with 1280x1024 and trilinear filtering on. Of course I don't use hires texture or other 'enhancement' nonsense that has no place in Doom. :P

Most of the shots I've seen have them looking that way. They just look like cardboard cutouts walking around.

So? That's what they are and the only thing in software renderers that keeps it from becoming obvious is the horrendously distorted perspective when looking up or down.

Quasar said:

Turn off bilinear filtering. That's the main reason why sprites look like ass in most Open GL Doom port screen shots.

TheDarkArchon said:

Turn off bilinear filtering. That's the main reason why sprites look like ass in most Open GL Doom port screen shots.

I think they look much uglier with filtering off. Just a mess of huge squares... Bleargh!

Well why not just have two filtering options, one for wall/floor textures and another for sprites?

Doomsday does and I'm confident GZdoom does too(?).