Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

The /newstuff Chronicles #292

With a renegade /newstuff reviewer on the loose, I take the helm once again to resurrect the glory of the /newstuff chronicles reviews. Unfortunately for you, the Doomworld faithful, this issue is riddled with a lot of bad, some weird, and little good. You had to wait for two weeks, so you'll read this anyway - just like a teenage boy who's been baited by the looks of a hot young lady, only to be turned away for the captain of the football team and a bottle of Tom Ford's Amber Nude fragrance. So cruel.

• Noob Project Part 1- military installation - Lupinx-ressurected
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 21 kb - (img)
    In the txt file, the author explains that this is his first released map and therefore should only be subject to constructive criticism. Now, part of me would love to belittle this thing to kingdom come, however, this is a first release and so I'm gonna go ahead and be good cop (I'll save the bashing for deathz0r or AlexMax if they want to chime in later). First, the level is designed to be used with ZDoom which is normally great; unless your idea of great are repeating particle generators and monster fade effects. With all of the great things ZDoom can do for a wad, why stop at two small, unimportant features? The second thing that you will notice is how plain, and in some parts, downright ugly, the map is. Texturing seems to be random at best and most key doors are not marked. The map also suffers from common first timer mistakes such as slime areas that don't have a radsuit nearby and completely illogical level progression with lots of rooms that don't look right.

• The Biovite Project v4.0 - Milian
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 15948 kb - (img) (img) (img)
    The Biovite Project is a ZDoom based partial conversion for Doom II. However, the level set comes off as a creative 1996 mod with ZDoom effects and new monsters thrown into the bunch. The level design is very basic and blocky, while creative considering the limited experience of the mapper. Gameplay seemed a bit tricky at first, thanks to large open areas with hitscan enemies, but later became easier as I was entrenched in the cramped corridors under the facility. Some of the new enemies are a general pain (I'm looking at you, miniature raptors), while others are flat out goofy looking. I can't knock the author for trying to come up with a creative idea; however, I hope his future releases are more refined as there is plenty of room for improvement.

• Impossible: A New Reality - JK
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 1403 kb - (img) (img)
    A ridiculous story to match a ridiculous wad. At first, this wad seems like a fun and novel set of mazes that largely owe themselves to a déjà vu effect. However, the longer I played, the more frustrated I became with the tedious gameplay and the ever-taunting silent teleporters. The gameplay seems to be tailored to that of the author with nobody else in mind, including the general public of Doomers. Nevertheless, the texturing and visuals seem to be well done and a consistent theme is carried out through the map. I can appreciate the elaboration the author went through to create this wad, but it really isn't all that fun. I suppose it's impressive from a technical point of view, but not much else.

• 125 Skins - Daniel
    ZDoom Compatible - n/a - 5021 kb
    A compilation pack of skins for ZDoom. I don't really use skins ever, so there's not a whole lot for me to say here other than that if you're looking for a bunch of skins for ZDoom, this seems like a good pack.

• UD Speedmapping 1 - Dean "deathz0r" Joseph, Ralph "Ralphis" Vickers, RottKing
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 176 - (img) (img) (img)
    The most entertaining portion of this small level set was the titlepic, which kept me busy for just a few minutes *ahem*. With that aside, these levels are just downright bad, which is what you could possibly expect from a speedmapping contest where the contestants are jackasses (I kid, I kid). I know that deathz0r and co. are more than capable of what is present in this level set as the txt file states that the wad is intended to be a collection of 3 maps that were all made in speedmapping fashion within a 1024 grid size. There are too many errors to count, although they almost seem to be blatantly added just for kicks. I also realize that this set is probably a mockery unto itself, but not even that can wash out the nasty taste this wad leaves behind. Although, map03 really wasn't all that bad... but still not good.

• Moggo - Ruba
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 12 kb - (img)
    Usually I try to have a little more tact when I give a bad review to a wad, but this one I cannot resist the urge. This level sucks. There's not much explanation in the txt file, so I can only assume the author doesn't give a damn. If you like stupidly challenging Icon of Sin levels with a retarded amount SSNazis in a hallway, followed up by a cyberdemon, then this level is for you. All others, avoid.

• Lunar Base - Andrew Manninen
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 109 kb - (img)
    EDIT: This isn't actually a 1995 map. There was a bug in the /idgames frontend parser that made it look like it was this map. The "Lunar Base" reviewed is actually from 2006, but is apparently about the same quality as a typical 1995 map.

Most of us cringe a little bit when we read the word "funduke" with it's association to any Doom wad. Despite what the txt file says, this map runs on map05 instead of map01. Unfortunetly, this is another 1995 map brought back to modern times for a round of scrutiny in the /newstuff chronicles. As with most levels from that era, this wad suffers from largely square rooms with seemingly random texturing together with limited connectivity. If you're in the mood for nostalgic trip back to 1995 when all that was required to make a good wad was a start, an exit, and a couple enemies, then look no further. Otherwise, nothing to see here.

• dhe30src.zip - Jon Dowland
    doom2.exe - n/a - 85 kb
    This is the full source code for DeHackEd version 3.0a. Uploaded to /idgames for historical and archival purposes. And suprisingly, the best item in /newstuff this week.

• Sniper Scope - xbolt
    Legacy Compatible - n/a - 4 kb
    A sniper scope for Legacy attached to the shotgun. Although equipping a shotgun with a sniper scope seems ridiculous, it works fairly well.

• Ni'mrod: Hell on Exdeus - Adam "Homer" Wood
    Skulltag - Solo Play - 738 kb - (img)
    This wad requires the add-on "Nimrod: Project Doom" which can be obtained in the /idgames archive. Having never played the original release of Nimrod, I was initially impressed by the base provided to make the wad playable. The usage of new textures, weapons, and enemies made available from the original wad was a nice touch. Even the music has a little kick to it. And while the wad is extravagently detailed, there is little flow or connectivity which is the hallmark of Homer's work. Oddly enough, the three times I have been a /newstuff reviewer, I've had to review a wad by him. And this wad is much like any of his other maps: lots of detail and semi-innovative features with mediocre gameplay and fairly linear level design. If you enjoyed Nimrod: Project Doom then give this a go.

Heh, one of those silent teleporters in Impossible is used in a straight hallway behind a door. If you open the door, go down the hallway and turn around, you can play with it a bit...

Usually I try to have a little more tact when I give a bad review to a wad, but this one I cannot resist the urge. This level sucks.

Something tells me that Ruba's main goal with Doom mapping is to piss us off as much as possible. I think his wads shouldn't be reviewed until he decides to make a real map.
Biovite 4.0 was kind of disappointing for me. I was a fan of the first versions and was dying to play the newest one. It converted me into an emo kid. :(

I was surprised Kristus allowed Homer to use the resources from Nimrod considering how strict he is about the use of his work.

Meh, this isn't the best set of wads but there is some good stuff.
Who is the renegade newstuff reviewer anyway?

About time UDSM1 got reviewed. Curse that renegade reviewer!

Dittohead said:

the contestants are jackasses

*insert flamewar here*

deathz0r said:

About time UDSM1 got reviewed. Curse that renegade reviewer!
*insert flamewar here*

Heh, I thought you might like that little jab ;)

common first timer mistakes such as slime areas that don't have a radsuit nearby

In general do people really see this as a mistake? Surely it depends on the circumstances, e.g. how long the player is likely to spend in the poisonous area. Personally I'd only give the player a radsuit if he's meant to go in the slime.

LUNAR BASE - Mark Barry

Something went wrong for this wad. Instead of using the correct data the frontend replicated the data for lunar.wad.

Dittohead said:

Heh, I thought you might like that little jab ;)

You mean bastard, you. =P

And on that note:

This level sucks.

YOU CAN'T SAY THAT IN /NEWSTUFF!!!11one BAN DITTOHEAD FROM REVIEWING EVER AGAIN

RjY said:

In general do people really see this as a mistake? Surely it depends on the circumstances, e.g. how long the player is likely to spend in the poisonous area. Personally I'd only give the player a radsuit if he's meant to go in the slime.Something went wrong for this wad. Instead of using the correct data the frontend replicated the data for lunar.wad.

Well, you had to go into the slime to get a keycard, so yes in that circumstance it is a mistake. It's not always expected that a radsuit should accompany every slime pit; but in areas where the player has to travel there should be one nearby.

bryant robinson said:

Wow! The newstuff chronicles seems to be getting really harsh with the new wads coming each time. I'm scared to release any of my stuff now....

Nonsense. If you would have to dedicate several hours a week to playing many bad wads, it might start to irritate you too. I try to be fair in my reviews and point out mistakes so that the authors can fix them in the future. That's kind of the point of doing reviews.

It's too bad that giving a bad review is considered harsh; because without them nobody would ever get better. Now, if you have too much pride in your work, you'll just continue to make the same shit you've always made because the negative reviews don't bother you. But I think the key is to be open minded and maybe re-examine some aspects of your style that could be changed for the better.

If anything, don't be scared to submit your work. Receiving critiques is the only way to get better.

I'm surprised my wad was reviewed, I thought it would get skipped :P. Anyway I'm just glad my first wad wasn't in the shithouse.

Dittohead said:
Slime areas with no rad suit

There was a noticable texture in the room before the slime, if u opened it up there was a rad suit and some medkits. Oh and sorry for using zdoom, I did that for my personal benefit (Anything dos based stopped working on my computer a long time ago.)

Excellent reviews, i love the hilarity. You missed Hellcore 2.0 though, a release meant for Halloween. I can't remember exactly when DarkFyre uploaded it to newstuff, but it was around the cutoff.

I think this is a backdated Newstuff, Hellcore 2.0 should likely appear in the next edition. Incidentally, Hellcore 2.0 is one of the most stunning mapsets I have ever played.

Craigs said:

Something tells me that Ruba's main goal with Doom mapping is to piss us off as much as possible. I think his wads shouldn't be reviewed until he decides to make a real map.
Biovite 4.0 was kind of disappointing for me. I was a fan of the first versions and was dying to play the newest one. It converted me into an emo kid. :(

I was surprised Kristus allowed Homer to use the resources from Nimrod considering how strict he is about the use of his work.

Meh, this isn't the best set of wads but there is some good stuff.
Who is the renegade newstuff reviewer anyway?

How is he strict? He allows people to make maps for his projects, what he doesn't want is people ripping them.

Thanks for the review.

Scuba Steve said:

Incidentally, Hellcore 2.0 is one of the most stunning mapsets I have ever played.

Compliments from Scuba himself! I feel loved :D

I'm taking the reviewer's suggestion seriously and am now reading the source code... Sadly, it is rather entertaining in comparism, dunno if it beats the scoped shotgun though... heh :p

Scuba Steve said:

I think this is a backdated Newstuff, Hellcore 2.0 should likely appear in the next edition.

Is Hellcore 2.0 new? If it ain't, I'm only going to link it as an update.

deathz0r said:

Is Hellcore 2.0 new? If it ain't, I'm only going to link it as an update.

Ya it's new. It consists of about 12 levels, 9 of which are new. Rest overhauled. It's basically Hellcore 2, but we called it Hellcore 2.0 because a few maps were completely overhauled from the original.

RjY said:
In general do people really see this as a mistake? Surely it depends on the circumstances, e.g. how long the player is likely to spend in the poisonous area. Personally I'd only give the player a radsuit if he's meant to go in the slime.

Yeah, and even then, as long as the amount of health doled out and the enemies nearby are appropriate in relation to the health loss due to the slime, a radsuit isn't always necessary. Haven't played the wad so I can't comment on the particular case, though.

Not enough flamewar in this newstuff. :(

Anyway, I don't have anything against people making maps using my projects. As long as they are doing what Homer did here. When they take the resources out of my wads and put them into their own however, that's where I get a problem with it.

Dittohead said:

Nonsense. If you would have to dedicate several hours a week to playing many bad wads, it might start to irritate you too. I try to be fair in my reviews and point out mistakes so that the authors can fix them in the future. That's kind of the point of doing reviews.

I like how you handle your reviews, you prolly never going to bash gratuitously wads because you just don't like them (NeoDoom anyone ?).

I review Heretic WADs prolly the same way than you do.

*hugs*

PS: Just FYI, are there requisites to write down /newstuff ?

Naan said:
(NeoDoom anyone ?).

What? That is bashing?

What happened is that some dude worshipping it (and probably the fact that it's from Brazil, his country) thought that not praising it unconditionably is synonymous with bashing it.

myk said:

What? That is bashing?

What happened is that some dude worshipping it (and probably the fact that it's from Brazil, his country) thought that not praising it unconditionably is synonymous with bashing it.

Ok, I may have taken a bad example, but about this particular wad I wanted to point out the fact that most people (not the reviewer it seems) says it's a bad wad only because it contains sprites from non-doom games.

Did anyone disliked Alien Vandetta because a couple levels (+ the intermission screen) ripped Heretic music ? Did anyone disliked Udderdude's Hordes of Chaos series because he has taken monsters from Doom and Hexen ?

Just to tell that resources being used in a wad should not be an so important point to judge a wad, unless of course, it looks very ugly with them, or seems to be done with MS Paint.

-------

Ok, forget about NeoDoom, a better example would be Demon Eclipse, reviewed by Hobbs. In his opinion, that wad was "the most painful dooming experience [he has] had lately", whereas I actually liked enough it to rate it at least 4 stars.

Naan said:
Did anyone disliked Alien Vandetta because a couple levels (+ the intermission screen) ripped Heretic music ?

Personally I'm a fan of AV and I've said that's the worst part of AV; had they relied on a set made by a fellow fan, a project member, or on clearly offered resources it would have saved it some consistency and some respectability. I'm not really impressed with the use of resources in AV (not just music; also graphics); some are used decently, but that's certainly not its forte, it's the level design, (plus perhaps a bit of more or less original resource work that made it more consitent; the orange fonts were a good idea, for example).

Just to tell that resources being used in a wad should not be an so important point to judge a wad, unless of course, it looks very ugly with them, or seems to be done with MS Paint.

One either uses what one makes or what's offered freely, or he's using someone else's work in a way the authors would not like or have strictly prohibited. People earn disrespect when they rip other people's stuff, regardless of any other merits in their own work. They may as well just do what they really can do well instead of rummaging through scraps like a crow pecking for shiny things in a pile of dung, looking forward to filch what they aren't capable of producing. Good level design does not need that, and there's a lot of good stuff one can use, or use as a base, that's offered in goodwill precisely so that people can respect each other's work. It's a community matter of both artistry and copyright/copyleft.

deathz0r pointed out what he liked, and clearly noted that the wad was mishmashing and ripping. It was, primarily, respect for the authors of the resources used in the wad. I'd say pointing something like that out is mandatory for a decent review.

If you're a good level designer, make maps. And if you want textures for those maps you've got 3 options: a) learn to make textures, b) look for a texture artist to accompany you, and c) look for texture packs freely offered by projects, by artist respecting resource sites, and by artists. And that goes for any part of the design process one is not (yet?) proficient with.