Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowedCrow

new map in progress

hey everyone i have this new map called Depot: The Abandoned UAC Base. here are my screenshots that i have so far. i hope you guys like them alot. i still have alot more to go. my goal is to make it one of top best maps out there. so here they are:

i was also wondering if anyone would like to participate in my map that i have going here. its going to be a very large map when its done so if anyone would like to participate that would be awesome. please leave feedback if at all possible. thanks.

~ShadowedCrow~

I'm using snowberry (doomsday) with all the hi-res textures and flats pack. Go ahead and e-mail or IM me on either AIM or Yahoo Messenger of what experience you have on map making. i do appreciate you appecting the offer. Help is a great relief to me. lol.

Is this actually for Doomsday? If not, it would be more appropriate to take the shots without all the fancy textures and stuff.

To me, if you take all that away, you've got a pretty ordinary map. Not that it's bad... just nothing spectacular.

well as you guys can tell i dont like to be ordinary at all so neither is my map. i appreciate the comments but the way you see it is the way its going to stay. i happen to like the hi-res textures and flats. but im still building it and i still have alot to do with it. but if i get alot more opinions from other people then i will consider changing it but until then its staying the way it is. also, i dont believe the screenshots accurately display the amount of work i put into this. When you actually play it, i think you will notice my attention to detail. I will try to make it downloadable as soon as possible.

I am aware that the map has the average look to it. This is primarily due to the colors and tiles I use. The most common wall colors seen in doom are brown. It is because of this that it is hard to distinguish the difference between my map and such generic ones. The fact is you can not tell much from the screen shots, as I could take screen shots from any level in the doom game and they would look pretty much the same when compared. It is when you actually play the map that you tell the difference. The difference being primarily in the level of detail. For example the ceiling. I paid extra attention to the ceiling because 90% of the maps out there completely neglect it. It is my way of flipping the scale upside down. I even attempted to simulate sunlight pouring through the open portions of the ceiling. Granted doom is very limited in what you can do with it, however anyone who takes the time to look around the level during play will clearly see what it is trying to simulate. I will try to get a playable demo up as soon as I can so you can look for and idetify the things I have pointed out. No I am not saying my map is super great and better than everyone elses. I am aware the possibilities are endless and there is so much potential to unlock. I wasn't going for some drastically different from the original doom. I am a huge doom fan and I wanted it to have that same feel, and yes the similar look but with a higher attention to detail. I think the main reason people misjudge what I do is because they are use to maps that try so hard to deviate from the original feel of doom. I have no desire to do that because it is that original feel that made us all love the game so much.

ok well first off i would like to say that im the only one working on this map unlike other people who have about 3 or 4 people working on several maps at once. ok well when you have 3 or 4 people working on a map there's going to be tons of ideas flung around but when you have one person working on a map, not so many ideas are being flung around. the funny part is the fact that you guys cant seem to post your own reply up instead you use someone elses replies instead. i get the point that it looks ordinary, but like i said in the large post that i put up, if you actually play the map then you can see the rooms for what they are. you guys are making assumptions from a 2-D screenshot which in turn doesnt give the full effect of a room or an area. There's no such thing as overdetailed. just because i did alot to the ceilings doesnt mean its overdetailed, i just thought it would be a good turn-around to touch up the ceilings a bit more than usual. I do think that lighting also is an important issue in maps today, but see, alot of maps today stray away from the original doom look and feel which bugs the hell outta me. you have these modern day lookng maps, which dont get me wrong, there kickass looking maps, but they just dont fit the doom style at all. thats why newdoom is going downhill. If it wasnt for New Doom of course i wouldn't have found this site either and i would have never heard of Doom Builder at all. So I give my thanks to DaniJ666 and Dutch Devil and all of the staff in charge of NewDoom and Doom Builder. Its because all people want to do today is make TC doom games. IMO, i think that is ruining the Doom foundation it has. i do also understand that we have all of these new FPS that are coming out now that look just amazing. but when you try to bring that to Doom, it just doesnt fit at all. I do give credit to all the people that work on that kinda stuff and I hope that they go far. Like i said i'll try and get a demo out as soon as possible. so you guys can see for yourself.

Do me a favour. Start typing with proper capitalization and use paragraphs. Reading what you write is a royal pain for my eyes.

Sorry i'm just frustrated at the moment. I usually do, but it's just that i'm giving it all on this map and I really dont want it to look ordinary. I wont execpt that answer. I know i'm stubborn and I have alot of pride for my work, it's just that i'm trying so hard on this map, that I just want it to look really really good. I know it sounds like i'm compaining, but i'm not. So i'll get back to it asap. Later.

~ShadowedCrow~

Looks great but please can you post shots without high res textures, this way I and other people get an better impression of your map.
And I think without those high res stuff the map still looks good enough to play.

dutch devil said:

Looks great but please can you post shots without high res textures, this way I and other people get an better impression of your map.
And I think without those high res stuff the map still looks good enough to play.

Agreed. We can get a much better impression of how your map looks if you post screenshots from a software-rendered engine such as prBoom, Eternity Engine, or ZDoom; when I was working on my first released level, Esselmap, I originally posted only Doomsday shots with hi-res textures, but I eventually gave in and replaced them with software-rendered shots from prBoom, which represented the level much better.

Doomsday looks really nice and I consider it the best of the OpenGL Doom engines, but if your map isn't made specifically for it, screenshots from Doomsday or another GL port just make it harder to tell how it really looks. :P