Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

[Public Beta] Ultimate Simplicity (Episodes 1-4)

There's still some things I'm planning to work on as far as MAP05 goes, but it's mainly just monster placement in some parts of the map. I was also going to try putting the SSG a bit later in the map, but I don't know how well that's going to work out. It's worth a try, though.

There's one weird thing that I also noticed. On the menu screen, the first area that's shown is slightly different than it appears in the actual game. There should be a light on the floor in that platform that extends into the nukage. The others might have been slightly different too -- I wasn't really paying that much attention and it's hardly an issue anyway.

As for the missing light sector on the floor when it shows MAP02 on the titlemap, that was just a tiny bit of laziness. I guess I'll fix it. :P

In that same area in Map02, the nukage doesn't deal any damage. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's a bit of a pet-peeve of mine.

The nukage in MAP02 doesn't do any damage? I could have sworn it did. Although, I do tend to do that a lot for some reason.

symmetrical enemy-placement does irk me just a little. I can't think of a reason why demons would be arranged in such perfect formation.

I don't really know why I sometimes symmetrically place enemies. It doesn't really make sense at all. :P

Well Done AgentSpork,
from a player's point of view there is nothing I can say that I didn't like on this masterpiece :) It plays well, it looks awesome and although it is very different from the original doom in style (conc. startup stuffage and gfx's and music [omf2097 rockz ;)]) it really could be an official doom addon pack developed by some ******* guys from idsoftware :) Well done I must say, and beyond I can't wait for the complete piece of art!

I forgot to mention the lowering platform with the teleporter on it that leads to the red key. What is the deal with that? At first, I thought it was a bug that it hadn't lowered more, but you can still get onto it just by straferunning. I know it's a pretty widely known trick, but it still seems odd that a non-secret would require a straferun jump.

Unless I missed something.

The teleporter to the red key lowering was fairly obvious, I thought. I mean, it's only 64 units above the ground. It's relatively easy to reach with straferunning or without. Anyways, got another updated version up, with the following changes made:

• Moved the super shotgun later in the map.
  • Changed the arch vile fight in the yellow key room.
  • Changed the initial battle in the courtyard area.
  • Changed the red key fight (including fixing some monsters that were checked deaf that weren't supposed to be).
  • Fixed the nukage in MAP02.
Also, thanks for the comments Tormentor!

ill get myself chronigenically (i think that's how it's spelt) frozen for 3 years then check up on it.....

- sausage -

I played it my first impression was WOW! i didn't know you could get ZDoom to produce that Arcade title screen with scrolling images :) and the statistics screen was pretty damn sweet also. Nice improvement to the levels but i find the Level 10 Boss easy, (Really i do) the Chaos Elemental was the real challenge. My favourite thing out of all of this wad the awesome Ordering screen at the end, reminded me of Doom Shareware's screen and was a good joke. All hail Spork's glorious mapping skills! Ultimate Simplicity FTW!

AgentSpork said:

At the rate I'm currently going it'll probably take me another 3 years to get it done.

*cries like a little baby*

OH NOOOOO :'( I am 25 then... maybe too old for doom :(

Well, here's another rushed update! This update has the updated Episode 1 and 2, as well as the extra (and probably unnecessary) Episode 4. That’s a grand total of 29 maps right there, with the last 10 maps from Episode 3 to come “soon” (I’ll let you decide what that’s supposed to mean). Episode 2 has had numerous changes made to it for this update, and while they’re not quite as extreme as the changes made to Episode 1, it’s still better than the original release, in my opinion. Here’s a general overview of what’s different:

• Several maps have gone through minor to major layout modifications
  • Almost all maps have had gameplay modifications made to them
  • Difficulty settings should be fully implemented, but haven’t been thoroughly tested (hey, this is a beta, remember?)
  • All maps should be fully multiplayer compatible
Quite frankly I'm not overly pleased with how Episode 2 turned out, even after I made all these modifications to it. It's just not up to par with Episode 1, in my opinion. Anyway, if anyone else willing to compile a brutally honest list of things that suck in this episode, I'd highly appreciate it!

Episode 4 is provided as a bit of an extra. It includes several maps that were cut from the wad during the course of its production. Here’s a bit of a disclaimer on the episode, taken from the WAD itself:

The Director’s Cut episode is a collection of all the maps that have been cut from the normal three episodes during the course of the WAD’s production due to lack of quality. Be advised that some of these maps are really, really bad. You may or may not be at risk of going blind when playing these maps. You have been warned.

Now that we've got all that useless information out of the way, you can download the current Ultimate Simplicity beta here, and the text file here. <insert crap about how I like comments and criticism>

the whole thing sucks, moron

Edit: oops I mean cool, I'll play it now. Or maybe next week.

When I would kill a hectebus in map 17 it would give me a script error in the corner.

Check the mid texture of metal border for the second TV thing. Needs to be aligned and not repeating.

Ok, I'm going to sound really stupid here...but what do I do with the .pk3 file after I've downloaded it?

I've never downloaded a .pk3 file before, nor do I know what to do with it exactly. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Just played through the first episode, so far this is the best doom addon I have seen. I have nothing negative to say so far.

I know you were tweaking difficulty settings in this version, and for me, the UV skill was spot on. I have seen so many maps that was either too hard, too easy, or too complex. This was perfect.

Fighting that boss was the first time I got telefragged by an enemy, was a laugh :)

Good work, keep it up. Will check out the 2nd episode now.

In Map11, the teleport right after you get the red key is offgrid (flat not centered.)

In Map19 I got more kills than total enemies (some archvile ressing or something i guess) and that did not give me the destruction bonus. Suppose you need to check that kills >= enemies instead of kills == enemies.

Okay, got a new version up. Here's what's different:

• I've added a custom HUD. I'm not entirely sure why. I was bored. There might still be some kinks to work out of it, but for the most part it works great (even in coop).
  • Added MAP31 back into the project. MAP32 is still being worked on, so that'll have to wait a bit longer. More information on the changes to MAP31 can be found in the spoiler below (read only if you've played the map before or don't really give a crap.
  • Fixed a majority of the problems Vader listed, excluding the ammo unbalance in Episode 2 (laziness), and I haven't added in extra secrets yet.
  • Episode 4's epilogue didn't display the proper text.
  • Some other stuff I'm not entirely sure about (there's a changelog somewhere in the PK3 if you care enough to look)
Don't click this if you don't want to potentially spoil one of the secret maps: Updates for MAP31

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NOW! (oh snap bold)

Sorry for the double post, but I think it's suitable in this case. Got another semi-large update today. What's different, you ask? Well, I'll tell you:

New

• Added in the first four complete maps of Episode 3 - The Lost Episode. Please note that the episode is not complete, and probably won't be for quite a while. If you wish not to spoil Episode 3, I wouldn't recommend playing it. Otherwise, have a go, and let me know what you think of it so far!
  • Redid the titlemap and intermission. I wasn't really happy with them because they pretty much looked like ass on any resolution under 1024x768. Now, they automatically update based on the player's current resolution, so it should look fine on any resolution higher than 640x480.
Fixed
  • Added a medikit to the outdoor area of MAP11
  • Added a teleporter in the red key room of MAP11
  • Monsters could open the door on the revenant trap in MAP12, allowing you to skip the whole fight easily
  • Removed the autosave lines in MAP13
  • It was possible to prevent a mancubus from spawning in the cave trap of MAP13
  • There was a major visual glitch in the cave room of MAP13
  • Removed a shellbox from the start of MAP14
  • Fixed a secret in MAP17 that was unreachable without using noclip
  • Fixed a HOM on the lift at the beginning of MAP18
  • Changed the cyberdemon room at the end of MAP18 so that it walks out in the open faster
  • Changed the Episode 2 par times to be more suitable
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NOW!

Ill wait thanks
But why do you put yourself down about your older maps when they are still good and fun to play (directorst cut)

- sausage -

Only had time for a quick look, but excellent stuff in that third episode so far! Quite fun, indeed.

I ended up dying twice because I didn't notice I was low on health. Maybe the health-o-meter should flash when you're low on health or something.

Just finished the 4 maps of episode3.
Great stuff i must say, especially map 22 was quite good at being non-linear. The only thing I just noticed is that you won't find any optional areas in almost all of the maps (IIRC), except for the few secrets... maybe thats why your maps feel linear sometimes. Just a thought.

There is also a secret area in map23 that can not be reached (one of those small outside yards). Sorry, i forgot to note down the coordinates...
Ammo balance was better in these maps IMO. I wasn't dangerously low on ammo any time, but also not stuffed!
The new HUD is pretty cool btw! Simple but nice.

Odd, but I can't see the new HUD. I can see the numbers, but that's it. No graphic next to health/armor, nor next to ammo, even no boss health meter, nothing. I can't even tell when I pick up a new keycard, although that wasn't too bad.

Still, it'd be nice to see the full HUD (Or figure out what the heck's up).

Regardless, the four episode 3 maps were a blast to play through. Can't wait to see what else will come in this episode.