Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
accuface

Why ZDaemon?

ok is there some way of playing co-op zdoom, PURE zdoom, like theres csdoom, Zdaemon, Skulltag, but is all that really neccessary if I just wanted to play co-op with a computer sitting right next to me? is there some way to play with zdoom LAN co-op?

"Why, WHY, WHY MUST I USE ZDAEMON!!!1"

Who said you were obligated to use ZDaemon? Did they threaten you physically, or dowright torture you? What techniques did they use? In any case now that Rumsfeld is gone it's possible those guys in black might stop doing this to you. Maybe not.

You can try the ZDoom commands list, checking the MultiPlayer specific ones, to network it up. If the Mossad has banned your access to that page, let us know and we'll help you further. Somehow.

ok mossad? sry I'm not too good on knowing these names :P, so, I dont want to do ZDaemon or any of that other stuff becuase, even if the lighting is better, I like zdoom so far becuase its smooth, graphics are good, not too much. when I tried the ebil Zdae, its like NOT zdoom :].

Before I knew zdoom existed, I would co-op with that "DOOM collecter's edition" one, which all you had to do is just switch your connection to TCP or whatever and co-op, and play with the person sitting next to you.

so there are codes for starting co-op match in zdoom? what if that mossad doesnt allow me what do I do?

I head hurts....

(btw from that guy who liked the accuface, accuface - journey into sound is also good : ])

yeah, the only thing that looks like what I need to do would be.

-host 2

then the other person would go -join "my ip"

is that right? :S

Yes, but it'll only work on the command line. If you're not used to using the command line (that black "DOS" window where tech guys type commands) create a TXT file (zdoom.txt) in the ZDoom folder and type the following in it:

zdoom -host 2

Close (and save) the file and change the extension of the file from TXT to BAT (make sure Windows lets you see file extensions), so it is called zdoom.bat instead of zdoom.txt. Once you change it the icon will change, and if you double click it ZDoom will start with the command(s).

You can add more stuff there as well; like what level to jump to, the difficulty skill, deathmatch mode, and all that, if you need to (all the commands are on that page I linked).

If you wanted deathmatch in map07 on nightmate without the monsters you'd type:

zdoom -host 2 -warp 07 -skill 5 -nomonsters -deathmatch

Your friend should make a BAT file (as above) on his computer, with:

zdoom -join (whatever the ip is)

Just so you know, the multiplayer handling in ZDoom is pretty rough if you're playing over the internet. You'll notice lag alot more. However, if you're doing a LAN, ZDoom is great stuff. But that's what you said you wanted to do, so no need to rant about that!

oh snap, ummm sorry I'm rly nub, ummm which ip do I give the othe rplayer, so far my computer just says "waiting for player" or whatever and its at 50%, the other one goes "waiting for host" and nothing happens, which proly means I got the ip not right? do I use my external one? http://whatismyip.com ? what should I do?

In your first post you talked about setting it up over a "LAN", and now you don't know? If you're being serious, I'd suggest reading up on LANs and how they work.

What kind of "nub" are you that is so self conscious and uses net lingo the way you do?

EarthQuake said:

Just so you know, the multiplayer handling in ZDoom is pretty rough if you're playing over the internet. You'll notice lag alot more.

I disagree. The lag may be 'more noticable' but it will certainly have a much lesser impact on the gameplay.

I dont know a lot about computers, like the core of things, but I dont understand, it should work, could I direct connect? I pluged the ethernet cable in the same switch. I am very bad at this ><, ok, when you go to whatismyip.com, that shows you your external ip? I'll figure that out later, I'm sure my friend knows more than I. all I know how to do really is play games, and make maps with gtkradiant 1.4.0 for Q3 and enemy territory.

accuface said:
k, when you go to whatismyip.com, that shows you your external ip?

Yeah, that is the IP assigned by your Internet provider, and it is useful if a friend of yours wants to connect over the Internet (from his house to yours). If, on the other hand, you set up a LAN between two computers in one place (home, workplace, or whatever), each machine generally has a specific local IP (such as 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, etc.), and that is used when connecting them, or else a computer name that equates to such a local IP (which is sometimes pretty useful if the IPs in the local network tend to change for one reason or another).

Open up the command line prompt on the host computer and type in this very simple word:

ipconfig

And voila, you have your internal IP visible for you to use! Like myk said, it should start with 192.168, but it might also start with 10.0 and 172.16, but those are less common for home networks.

If you're playing via LAN just install Legacy (http://legacy.newdoom.com). You can launch and join servers from inside the game. No messing around required. If you computers can see each other, Legacy will too. :)