Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

PS3 released (when, I dunno) drama ensue.

We somehow managed to get one. I'm not exactly sure how. It's definitely not worth waiting in line for hours on end with a risk of getting mugged, beaten, or raped by rampaging geeks/eBay fanatics, and it's definitely not worth the gigantic price tag they put on it. At least, not yet anyway. As far as I can tell, all of the release titles are below-average to average.

Am I the only one amused by the guy who chose to get shot rather than hand his money over?

Armed robber: (A): You give me your money (B): You get shot

Victim: Well B. Duh.

udderdude said:

Most of them weren't geeks .. around 70% were just resellers/eBayers.

It's a shady business.

Doomshadow said:

The geeks went wild, shooting eachother over the ps3s in connecticut

I heard that the Bandidos gang walked through the lineups, robbing the geeks at gunpoint because they knew they had the $600-$1000 to buy the PS3. When one geek refused, he was shot. When you think about it, it's surprising that isn't happening more often.

You know the news and stuff are going to try to blame it on gamers (like 'gamers will do anything to play the PS3') when its really just greedy people trying to make a quick buck.
However, my uncle did wait at a Target for 22hrs and got one yesterday. He was one of the few who got the system to actually play it and I got to play it for a little bit too (Resistance and Untold Legends), its alright but I wouldn't have waited in line for it, much less pay 600.

And yes, it plays psx doom.

AndrewB said:

I heard that the Bandidos gang walked through the lineups, robbing the geeks at gunpoint because they knew they had the $600-$1000 to buy the PS3. When one geek refused, he was shot. When you think about it, it's surprising that isn't happening more often.

From what I read it was just young guys, with guns of course.

Either way, haven't anyone of these people ever heard of credit cards?

Oh great, I'll bet Jack Thompson will try and find a way and blame video games on these events.

I guess the worst sucky part about this whole PS3 launch is that most of the launch titles either suck ass or are below average. I think two or three of the games available were actually decent.

I think I'll wait until around the release of MGS4 before I get myself a PS3. Hopefully there will be more games out by that time that won't suck or feel too much like a last-gen console game.

kristus said:

From what I read it was just young guys, with guns of course.

You don't have to be old to be a Bandidos member. Those gangs recruit children, after all.

Either way, haven't anyone of these people ever heard of credit cards?

How would that help them if the gangs stole their credit card?

AndrewB said:

How would that help them if the gangs stole their credit card?

Eh, I can find more people at the mall to steal credit cards from than a PS3 lineup. And unlike cash, creditcards can be locked.

Lizardcommando said:

Oh great, I'll bet Jack Thompson will try and find a way and blame video games on these events.

Got a better reason?

My roommate heard on the news there was a drive-by BB gun shooting at a Walmart. No greed motive there, just pure amusement.

Kaiser said:

Got a better reason?

Money?
    (Selling the PS3 on eBay or mugging potential PS3 buyers)
    Greed?
    (Getting one just to say you have one or just because you have to have the latest and greatest thing)
    Just plain stupidity?
    (Drive-by BBGun shooting Gokuma mentioned)

Lizardcommando said:

Money?
    (Selling the PS3 on eBay or mugging potential PS3 buyers)
    Greed?
    (Getting one just to say you have one or just because you have to have the latest and greatest thing)
    Just plain stupidity?
    (Drive-by BBGun shooting Gokuma mentioned)

And all of it is caused by the one thing they charish. Its like a drug. The more gamers play games, the more dumber (and violent) they get.

It does sound like something to change laws for, if Sony can't be fined or sanctioned already for using a tactic that preticipated this bullshit (but all the article talks about is prosecuting some loser who got knifed almost to death for trying to steal a console).

If the demand was so much greater than the supply and the price so high, sales should have been by mail or online order, not on the streets.

This does make this PS3 (and, of course, Sony) even more retarded, though.

So can we charge Sony for Faggotry and causing chaos? I mean, it may not be sony's fault directly, but god damn, they KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

one faggot pulled a dirty trick and fed nerds waiting in line hot chocolate laced with something that makes exlax seem like mere candy.

Kaiser said:

And all of it is caused by the one thing they charish.

You can say that about the crazy people charging into malls across America during Black Friday or the crazy people who want to get a Furby or Tickle-Me-Elmo.

heh... some guy got jacked for his ps3 right as he walked out of an eb games. gun flashed what looked a silver gun, told the guy "give me the bag and keep walking". the guy gave it up but then flagged down cops. they chased the dude, who wouldn't drop the ps3, and caught him. gun turned out to be a cigarette lighter.

BTW, I heard that sony is losing $308 per $499 system sold and $241 for every $599 system sold. I know that sony is a worldwide media conglomerate, but thats just plain stupid.

heh, that reminds me of that book Jennifer Government, where Nike releases only a limited number of their new shoe in select areas, resulting in people making mayhem in order to try and get a pair. Although in that, it was an intentional marketing strategy to drive up the hype.