Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

For playing old vanilla pwads like Alien Vendetta, I would like to have a Windows XP compatable source port that behaves as closely as possible to vanilla doom when playing the game, BUT can be set to higher resolutions. I just can't play at 320x240 anymore. Also, if the port makes loading wad files and playing demo files easier than with doom2.exe, that would be great. I'd like to avoid the command lines entirely. I used ZDoom without jumping to play AV, but found that it didn't always interpret the wad correctly, making level 8 impossible, for example.

Does anyone have suggestions?

So I just can't avoid command lines on Windows? How do I even type them in without DOS?

I've used lots of Doom95 which doesn't need command lines (making demos easy to watch) and has resolution options, but there were two problems with it, on my computer anyway: (1)Invisible demons are actually super-visible, and glow in the dark, and (2) I couldn't get the mouse to make me turn left and right, though I didn't try long.

remembert said:

So I just can't avoid command lines on Windows? How do I even type them in without DOS?

Start -> run, type in "cmd", enter.
If you are familier with DOS then you should know how to use that.
Most the current ports still rely on command lines, some (like Eternity) come with a launcher as a separate program.
I advise you use PrBoom if you wish to stay close to vanilla behaviour.

Eternity remains close to vanilla too, nearly as much as PrBoom (we have shared many fixes).

The Eternity frontend can probably be used to a large degree with PrBoom as well, since we use the same response file code. The only incompatibility is in some of the command-line parameters. For example, -edfenables does nothing in PrBoom, and you can't enter a -complevel setting in the EE frontend since EE doesn't support that currently.

remembert said:
Perhaps in time I'll come to cope with that.

If you want to avoid the command line you can also drag and drop the wads you you wish to play onto the executable icon, or a shortcut. A shortcut could have additional command line parameters. It could, for instance, define the game to play (prboom -iwad doom), define the complevel to make the wad play as intended, and so on; then you'd drag a DOOM wad onto it and it would start up with it loaded.

If you desperately want to avoiding a command line when using Prboom-plus (but really, it is very useful indeed, and not difficult at all to learn), you can edit the cfg (in, e.g., Notepad or similar):

Open up prboom-plus.cfg (or glboom-plus.cfg) and put 2 as the "default_compatibility_level". While you're at it, change any other settings that you need to, such as the resolution. Save.
Then you can drag and drop the wad onto the exe.
Or just use prboom-plus (or prboom) as the default exe to open wad files. If you don't already have one defined, then click on the wad, and you'll be asked what you want to open it with.

Remember that it will then behave in a way that is strictly in keeping with Doom2.exe's physics. If you then want to play a Boom wad, you'll need to change the default_compatibility_level to, say, 9.

Why haven't anyone suggested that he should use Chocolate Doom yet? Since it's the one that is more like Vanilla?

kristus said:

Why haven't anyone suggested that he should use Chocolate Doom yet? Since it's the one that is more like Vanilla?

remembert said:

I would like to have a Windows XP compatable source port that behaves as closely as possible to vanilla doom when playing the game, BUT can be set to higher resolutions.

Chocolate Doom's higher resolutions are just pixel multiplications.

Grazza said:
Open up prboom-plus.cfg (or glboom-plus.cfg) and put 2 as the "default_compatibility_level". While you're at it, change any other settings that you need to, such as the resolution. Save.

One can start with the included doom.cfg (renaming it to prboom-plus.cfg) to get precise settings for the game "as is", setting up input controls (and the resolution) from there as desired.

kristus said:

Since he wanted higher resolution, and some other features that Chocolate isn't designed to offer. I'm not sure that in terms of demo compatibility it is any closer to Doom2.exe than Prboom-plus, except in some very rarely-used areas of dehacked support. If you know of a Doom2.exe demo that works in Chocolate but not in Prboom-plus, let me know!

myk: True, but judging from his requirements (the convenience and visual enhancements of a modern port, but exact emulation of Doom2.exe behaviour - that's how I read it at least), I'd guess he'd have more editing of the cfg to do in that case. But both routes to the same goal work of course. I should also mention that the standard default cfg supplied with prboom-plus should probably also work OK, unmodified (it has -1 as the complevel, but Doom-like settings for the individual comp settings that could otherwise cause problems with AV - but I haven't personally verified that myself, as I never use the default complevel).

Neil: A Mac version of Prboom-plus is also available now.

Psycho Siggi said:

Start -> run, type in "cmd", enter.

Simpler:
Start -> run
Type or paste your command line in there directly. Just remember to include the path too. e.g.: c:\doom2\glboom-plus av av.deh

sitters said:
I have played alien vendetta and no problems at all.

The guy wasn't just asking for a port which could play AV without problems.

remembert said:
I would like to have a Windows XP compatable source port that behaves as closely as possible to vanilla doom when playing the game

Kristian Ronge said:

The guy wasn't just asking for a port which could play AV without problems.

OK my mistake. :)

Grazza said:
myk: True, but judging from his requirements (the convenience and visual enhancements of a modern port, but exact emulation of Doom2.exe behaviour - that's how I read it at least), I'd guess he'd have more editing of the cfg to do in that case.

You're just using another config file; you can change almost anything from the menus, but the CFG will guarantee the closest starting point to the original. The only changes he'd have to do are controls (unless he like the defaults), the resolution, and maybe hitting "+" once or twice to increase the screen (blocks) size a bit. Only the resolution could be a "problem", but then, with the other CFG he's still "stuck" with 640x480 or whatever the value used is.

While complevel 2 will take care of the essentials, the included CFG, or the PrBoom defaults, include some settings unlike those from Doom2.

What I think is unintuitive (about PrBoom) for people who don't want to resort to the command line or to CFG editing, or to a smaller degree, for anyone, is that you can't change the resolution internally as you can do in, let's say, ZDoom.

Right. This might belong here and it might belong in source ports. The thread type is more of a doom general sort of thing, but the content is about source ports. If it need be moved I'm sure it will be.

Pressing forward, the thread title states clearly enough what I'm asking. What source port do you most commonly use. I didn't make this a poll because I am more interested in the why than the what really, and also somewhat who uses what port. Polls don't give that info.

And please for the love of god don't say "I use x port because its the bestest or most superior or does the most" or any such of that nonsense.

BTW I use PrBoom in most every situation, because it works for the largest portion of wads, and is very good at being compatable with them. EDIT: And since everyone else is putting in a handful I use ZDoom for "LAN" multiplayer and the precious few ZDoom wads I have (mostly TCish stuff), Chocolate Doom & Eternity for uh, random stuff. Prolly will use Odamex for C/S multi when its released.

I use skull tag because it's presumably better than Zdoom and I like my world viewable, that way I can say woah, pretty.
also because it came with a free IDE thing... really I just got PrBoom, I'm going to try it out, who knows i might like that better...
EDIT
Nah Tried it, it doesnt have that feel. Plus I cant change the screen Rez...or maybe i can I tried to navigate the options

Skull tag also has that shiny command console, and everyone loves command consoles

Warlin said:

I like my world viewable, that way I can say woah, pretty.

What?

Skull tag also has that shiny command console, and everyone loves command consoles

A revolutionary feature indeed!

JDoom for general use, PrBoom (software render) for wads with engine hacks (hr2 for example) and skulltag for multiplay and editing.

I have pretty much every source port installed on my computer, for reviewing's sake, but when I have a choice I use Eternity for single player and Odamex for multiplayer.

Prboom-plus, pretty much exclusively. For its compatibility with many types of maps, features for watching and recording demos, and the fact that it is very stable, and that bugs and feature requests are generally dealt with quickly and without breaking anything.

i wish i can say doom2.exe but in the evil times like nowadays i have to say prboom. Of course for some maps which don't support boom i use ZdooM or Jdoom/Risen3D for taking pics..

For mp i use zdaemon (yeah i know :)) and sometimes chocolate doom...Anyway looking forward to Odamex!

Prboom for gameplay/editing
Zdoom for total conversions/misc stuff
Skulltag/Odamex for online stuff.