Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Freakin' Noob

Artist. I need an Artist.

I need an artist. Im making a Doom64 themed wad. But the Revenant sprites from doom 2 look dumb. Somebody wanna help make a new revenant looking thing? I'd kinda want to make it look like the arch-vile from Doom 3. help?

Freakin' Noob, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Maybe revenants are dumb but their rockets are not ;) I'm no artist I only do mapping good luck though.
P.s. could you show some work you have done allready it might help getting spriters (yay invented an new english word)

i could show yeh some screenshots. this is more of a "whoa that's cool, maybe i should..." kinda wad. i'll show yeh some screenies when i find my usb drive...

I guess the real question is "where can i get some editing software that will make drawing new sprites easy?"

Grazza said:

Freakin' Noob, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Grazza, I bet he registered with that name just so you'd have to say that.

Ultraviolet said:

Grazza, I bet he registered with that name just so you'd have to say that.

Actually, that's a long story. So I'll make it short. I used that name on a quake 3 server, so those guys would think that i was a newbie and try to pick on me. I've been playng quake 3 since i was 12, so i cleaned 'em all up and won. I am however, a newbie to doom modding, but my older brother made a few wads. I dont think he ever loaded any to the /idgames archive. Now he's lost interest since he's gone to college.

So you want to make the revenant more arch-vily? Try to paste vile legs/arms onto Revenant's bones (my suggestion). Use stretch/skewing. My opinion is that Revenants are undead Arch-viles.

Try not to make them look like these :)

I'd suggest you to create a new class of monsters while you're at it.

printz said:

So you want to make the revenant more arch-vily? Try to paste vile legs/arms onto Revenant's bones (my suggestion). Use stretch/skewing. My opinion is that Revenants are undead Arch-viles.

I'd suggest you to create a new class of monsters while you're at it.

I've been doin' that. Looks ... ummm ... interesting. I havent really made many new monster classes, just some random stuff using inheritance (rocket launching arachnotrons, BFG zombies, Railgun zombies)

Freakin' Noob said:
But with paint?

For more graphic editing features, you can use Paint Shop, Photoshop, or The Gimp. In any case nothing is going to automate the process of completing all the sprite frames.

myk said:

For more graphic editing features, you can use Paint Shop, Photoshop, or The Gimp. In any case nothing is going to automate the process of completing all the sprite frames.

I am perfectly capable of making sprites. Rotations are what get me. sigh... well, i guess i'm just whiny, i'll suck it up and do it...

Once you get a hang on sprite editing, making the rotations will also be no problem...
just keep practising and it will come from alone, believe me!
I'd guide you to some good toturials if I knew any, but it's best to learn from own experiance anyway IMO.
Good luck!

Edit:
I might also add that patience is one of the main factors when making sprites.
If you don't have a lot of that, better forget about it!

If you're not a sprite artist I'd suggest to do the same thing I do when I want to make a "new" monster, copy n'past parts (cleaning them with the smart browser of PSP), edit the colours (you can edit the palette, then copy the graphic, undo the changes, past the copied sprite over the older, with the smart browser restore the parts you want to look like before, oh and save the edited palette so you don't need to edit it for each sprite, just load new palette, copy, load standard DOOM palette, paste, clean with the browser).

I'm not sure if I was clear, feel free to ask.

There are some sprites in Duke 3d, Bood, Shadow Warrior, that may help you to make a DOOM 64 like Revenant. Avoid using completly unedited sprites.

BTW, wich sprites are you using for the unedited monsters? classic DOOM, full color DOOM 64 tc sprites, the DOOM 64 monsters converted to the classic DOOM 256 colors palette, don't know yet?

To address Vader:
I have made many sprites before. I programmed a "spy hunter" type game in pygame for a programming class, and i made a whole bunch of 2d car sprites with paint/the gimp. They didnt turn out so bad, they actually looked like real cars. Its just rotations that irk me.

To address Vageta.

I borrowed some of the Doom64 tc sprites to replace some stuff(namely the unmaker and cacodemon). Yes the Doom64 converted to the 256 color palette (they look fine). Can i have PNG sprites?

Yes, i have taken sprites from Hexen, i think i found one that I'll convert to a grayscale, then make it more doom-ish. I dont happen to have blood or shadow warrior. are there demos i can get?