Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

32 Level Megawad

How far are you on this project? Two of those screenshots appear to show the same room, and you want to make a megawad.

I started about a week ago or so and I got Gears of War so that slowed down the process a bit. =)

I'm half-way complete with map02. I am trying to make this fairly detailed, unlike my maps prior to Babel. And even Babel wasn't too detailed either.

Not bad but they look quite cramped and dark, detail is okay there is enough to keep it interesting imo.Some shots show tech and hell textures I think sticking to one theme would be better.Is this one of the first maps? cause I think its better to start with tech maps and slowly make your maps more evil looking. Or go tech or hell all the way up to map30 :)

dutch devil said:

Not bad but they look quite cramped and dark, detail is okay there is enough to keep it interesting imo.Some shots show tech and hell textures I think sticking to one theme would be better.Is this one of the first maps? cause I think its better to start with tech maps and slowly make your maps more evil looking. Or go tech or hell all the way up to map30 :)

I disagree with this. Theme is up to the mapper, and to be honest, tech/Hell can work well if you know what you're doing, and I think you do. Just don't take too many hints from Episode 3. I'm also quite tired of the tech to Hell level progression, so if you start in Hell and go "backwards" to tech or whatever, it could be interesting.

Only the last screenshot would work for me, but I liked what I saw. Nice job with the lights, I've considered trying that in the past but I was too lazy to align the sectors properly. I look foward to playing this when it's done.

Tormentor: Why does your website now have a Christmas theme when it's November?

Just a nit-pick here, but, on your 4th screenshot, the light grate on the right has a shadow that doesn't correspond to the number of bars in the grate itself.

Dittohead said:

Just a nit-pick here, but, on your 4th screenshot, the light grate on the right has a shadow that doesn't correspond to the number of bars in the grate itself.

The rest of the grate is cut off in the screenshot. It matches up in the editor.

udderdude: The first two levels are short, but they are mainly introduction levels. The third one looks like it's going to be fairly large. The rest of the levels I'm certain will fall in suit. I have a feeling that the levels will remain steady in detail. Some rooms here and there may not have as much detail as others, but overall I believe the detail will remain constant.

Erik said:

Making megawads is serious business though...

udderdude said:

...can you really keep that up for 32 levels?

It's definitely time consuming. All the best luck to you though man, hope you pull it off. Probably will see your skill progress throughout the wad level by level too, which will be neat :)

Hmm, only one level (or so) done? I'd make a partial if I were you. Did you say this was your first time mapping?

Aside from that, it looks great. I'm not one for hellish themes, but I'd definitely play it.

Looks pretty good so far.

One suggestion is to make sure that when you're doing light beams, like in the first screenshot with the light coming out between the bars, you want to make sure they're far enough away for the light to have actually traveled there. You've got more vertical space above and underneath the bars than you have horizontal space between the bars and the light beams. Changing that will make the light beams look more natural.