• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

If Doom had a Tome of Power

I thought about this before, it went something like this:

Super - Would just have twice the spread

Chaingun - Explosive rounds

Rocket - Upon impact dying monsters would explode and cause splash damage to nearby creatures, like a huge chain reaction.

Plasma - Ricochet

BFG: Fire, BFG ball flies and impacts causing a big flash, killing everything on screen.

To add to the above post...

Pistol - Armor piercing, does slightly more damage and travels straight through a few enemies.

Shotgun - Fires slugs instead of buckshot. Huge damage (100-150, maybe) but no spread.

I predict that your health would instantly increase to 100% no matter what level its at before. And you can gib a low grade demon into a flesh pile.

And your speed has been boosted from small car to speeding bullet. All the gun upgrades had been sumed up above.

The fist blows on impact (in fact same as berserk power)
The chainsaw starts acting like a sword and does sweeper damage
The pistol will shoot dumdum bolts and pop a loud noise
The shotgun will get replaced by a chain shotgun (what else :p
The super shotgun becomes... an elephant gun :)
The chaingun becomes a super nailgun :D
The rocket launcher? Just a land miner.
The plasma rifle? This time, it becomes a lousy spreadfire from Descent.
The BFG9000? Just a booming plasmathrower.

Ya see that the last guns aren't as much improved as they're changed. Ya know, I HATE power tomes in Doom. I wouldn't like to play with them here.

The fist preforms a hyodoken
The chain saw will become a chainsaw launcher
The pistol will have exploding tip bullets with shards of metal inside
The shotgun will have twice the kick meaning twice the pain to its targets
The Chain Gun will fire off high-velocity rifle rounds
The Rocketlauncher will somehow become 'double barreled'
The Plasma Gun's fire rate will decreace by three fourths, but will fire off mini bfg rounds
The BFG will summon chuck norris, and when chuck norris enters the fray, everyone loses... except chuck norris

Warlin said:

The BFG will summon chuck norris, and when chuck norris enters the fray, everyone loses... except chuck norris

die

Fist: Throw imp fireballs
Chainsaw: I dunno, more damage?
Pistol: Dual pistols. No accuracy loss.
Double shotty: Auto-shotty I guess.
Chaingun: Explosive rounds with a small radius of splash damage.
Rocket launcher: Disperses smaller explosives upon impact.
Plasma rifle: Railgun (*hides*)
BFG: Black hole vortex thingy.

Wow, you guys need some more imagination. The Tome of Power is supposed to infuse the weapons with magical (demonic?) power .. not just "omg more damage!" or shoots more shit.

Fist : You take 50% less damage, your attacks have bezerker strength and send enemies flying when you hit them.

Chainsaw : Glows red. Enemies that are close get pulled towards you and are stunned as they're pulled. Blades move faster for more damage.

Pistol : Shots turn into a stationary projectile when they hit an enemy. Enemies get damaged as long as they stay on it.

Shotgun : Shots instill fear in the enemy, causing them to flee in terror when hit. Fear lasts for 5 seconds, or until another shot hits them.

S.Shotgun : Shoots two blood-orbs that explode on impact, causing wraiths to appear and attack any nearby enemies. Wraiths dissapear after 4 seconds.

Chaingun : Each shot has a 20% chance to immolate it's target, causing it to get hit with an arch-vile like explosion.

R.Launcher : On impact, explosion stays on the screen and damages anything near it for 5 seconds. Player no longer damaged by explosion radius.

Plasma : Shots confuse enemies, causing them to target eachother randomly. Confusion lasts for 10 seconds.

BFG : Extends the field of damage to all around the player, not just in front of him. Does 2x damage.

"Fist: Does more damage and pushes back enemies.
Chainsaw: Range is increased and energy is transferred to the player.
Pistol: Creates some extra projectiles that spread out from the gun.
Shotgun: Same deal, just a couple more.
Chaingun: Bullets combine into a sort of spiked ball that spreads out from the point of impact, traveling through multiple enemies.
Rocket launcher: A flamethrower that lasts for about 10 seconds per rocket spent.
Plasma rifle: Fires a ball that creates a rain of plasma at the point of impact.
BFG: Large bouncing ball that causes instant death to regular enemies, but only moderate damage to bosses.

... oh, crap, nevermind."

Seriously though, I used Tomes of Power more nowadays compared to when the game was new and I needed them more. It was something about hoarding artifacts and ammo as much as possible, even though only one of each artifact you have can be carried over to the next level. Weird.

I used the Tome of Power for most of the weapons in do-tims.wad, except there's no plasma rifle or BFG. I tried to make the rocket launcher a truly homing missile (instead of having to aim at the dead centre of an object because ZDoom/Doom engine is bitchy), but it kept causing me to suicide more often than not. This was an alternative idea I had for the chainsaw, but since it was already in omgwpns.wad, I didn't want to reuse it again in case of being seen as lacking originality.

Fist - Double knuckledusters that gives the ability to climb up walls when you punch
Chainsaw - 3 circular saws that also rotate like a chaingun (CHAINSAW GUN)
Pistol - 2x Magnum power with laser sight and 100% accuracy. also some kickback and slow refire
Shotguns - explosive shells doubling the damage and giving a radius blast push
Chaingun - Two shots at once, but independently aiming (i.e. if two baddies are on screen but far apart, the chaingun tries to aim each bullet for both at once)
Rocket Rauncher - Drunk missiles!
Plasma Rifle - 3 shot spreads that alternate between vertically and horizontally
BFG - Looks like christmas, however they all get stuck to ceilings and floors then set off launching up/down after a few seconds. good for quick room traps

jallamann said:

udderdude your suggestions are alarmingly WoW tooltip-like, especially that "flee in terror" bit

Yeah I admit, it was inspired by WoW. But hey, it hasn't been done in Doom. Everyone else's suggestions sound like weapon mods from WADs that have allready been made, to be honest.

i kind of doubt that there's anything that hasn't been done or at least has been thought of.

if you can think of it, someone else probably has or has thought of a version of it.

I normally don´t like spammy overpowered weapons, but for a timed powerup like the Tome of Power it would be nice, so I suggest:

Pistol - Slowmo with bullet trails (yawn...)
Single Shotgun - incendiary shells set your enemies on fire
Douple Shotgun - flak bouncing all arround (think Unreals Flak Cannon)
Chaingun - bullets magically turn into lightning (think Quake Thunderbolt)
Plasmagun - 5 projectile spread fire
Rocketlauncher - cluster grenades

Fists - Berserk, maybe a bit faster
Chainsaw - On fire, causes over twice the damage per hit
Pistol - Piercing bullets, does 25% more damage
Shotgun - Same as before, but each of those particles cause a minor explosion from within after a second or two, causing massive damage
Super shotgun - Same effect, but with more
Chaingun - Same piercing bullets with a 25% higher firing rate
Rocket Launcher - Twice the damage, and throws out chunks which when they land will burn like napalm for a while
Plasma Gun - Bigger shots with limited homing ability
BFG9000 - The gun will overload and incinerate anything within a 100 foot radius, with the player ending up as a smudge on the back wall

I'm not sure if Tomes are supposed to enchant the wielder or the weapon or both. I'd rather supplement the wielder's ability to use the weapon where possible, as it seems more likely in a sci-fi setting, but with hitscans, aside from speeding it up, I'm not sure what to do.

Chainsaw: Overhead down-swing for a lot of damage starts the attack, is berserker pack affected. After the initial strike it just keeps on like a normal chainsaw, not berserker pack affected.

Fists: Combo. Jab-hook, perhaps jab-jab hook.

Pistol: Rapid bi- or tri-bursts, accurate on the first shot every time. Doubled pistols were suggested elsewhere, and I like the idea, but I think that if you had a second pistol you should have been using it all along. So maybe doubled pistols by default become doubled accurate tri-bursting pistols when Tomed?

Shotgun: Circular spread by default (hits a more common target profile, though the wide-shot is useful sometimes). 14 pellets when Tomed. (That's double, for any who don't know.) Reloads without recoil (doesn't jump up, stays level) and faster (partly as a side effect of cutting out the rise/fall animation) when Tomed..

SSG: Fire your barrels individually by default. Fire-fire-reload (player clicks through to advance to each stage). Hard to split 21 pellets in half, though, so how about 11 per barrel (hey, what's one extra) and 15 per barrel when Tomed?

Chaingun: Faster and more accurate when Tomed. Beefier sound by default. Sharper sound when firing fast. Circular spread by default and while Tomed.

Rocket Launcher: Mushroom explosion effect, many projectiles, any will have its own splash damage and, if it hits the target, will catch target on fire for lasting damage in addition to normal splash damage. Faster projectiles always.

Plasma: Rips through targets, does a small bit of splash damage as it passes for every frame of the projectile animation. Must animate fast enough to splash consistently. Larger (but nowhere near rocket-like) splash size/damage on impacting a wall. Faster projectiles always. (I assume you're collecting ideas for use in ZDoom, which has some updated collision checking to keep projectiles from skewing off and through walls at high speed.)

BFG: Two-stage tracer effect - fire tracers on firing BFG ball, fire tracers on BFG ball impact. Noticed 360 degree tracer effect elsewhere in this thread. Good suggestion -- if you include enough tracers extra to work this.

I'm not gonna address some of the more retarded suggestions here. If you posted here, it was probably retarded. 'Nuff said.

Railgun was mentioned in this thread, but is best as a stand-alone weapon included in with all this... and I'll make a Tomed suggestion now. Even though it's a prized idea for me, I'll probably never get around to making it anyway, so here it is.

TOMED RAILGUN: In addition to the rail shot, a Tomed railgun would fire three magnetic pulses down the line of fire. The first pulse would be fast and light, second would be slower but stronger and mildly explosive, and the third would be slower yet, but the strongest, and with significant explosive radius and damage. The rail shot will hit if you're aiming, but the pulses will depend on a few factors, like whether the target is moving, or if it just happens to move where you want it to go. Perhaps they should fire down the player's line of sight instead of tracking exactly where (on the map, not the target) the rail shot hit so you can do a sweeping aim with them, too?

People mentioned cutting damage to the player and creating immunities for certain weapons. I think individual powerups would address things best. These might make good individual powerups -- an extra layer of armor (independent, doesn't reduce your standard armor until this layer is gone), a concussion suit (splash immunity), flame retardant material (fire damage immunity) -- but for weapon effects they don't work. Hey, if we're mixing Hexen stuff in, how about some ice damage immunity, too? Perhaps a thermal distribution suit.

There's so much techy stuff the Doomguy could come across to augment him. Maybe limit his running speed by default, but come across some combat stimulants that amplify that and his hand to hand damage? So much that could be done...

Fist: Allows you to grab Imps and Zombies, to use them as meatshields. You can fire your pistol while holding them.

Chainsaw: Enables a grappling hook which pulls enemies toward the blade, or pulls the player toward the enemy (maybe pull the player toward walls?).

Pistol: Becomes a Machine Pistol, 3-shot burst fire.

Shotgun: Fires carbide-tipped slugs which hit an enemy, and release a standard shotgun blast on the other side of said enemy.

SSG: It magically turns into one of these.

Chaingun: It becomes the Spider Mastermind's chaingun.

Rocket Launcher: Enables a laser-painter sight. Rockets release shrapnel on explosion.

Plasma Gun: The weapon becomes slightly more shotgun-esque, firing off "waves" of plasma, similarly to form 3 of Strife's Sigil. These waves are fired at a rate slightly slower than that of the un-powered Plasma Gun's form.

BFG 9000: The already powerful BFG 9K becomes the mighty singularity cannon. It fires a powerful, slow-moving orb of energy which explodes on impact with anything, and has a very large blast radius. Then, at the point of impact, a singularity happens, where enemies and players are pulled toward the blast epicenter where, if they reach the blast epicenter, they instantly die. After about 5 seconds, another blast takes place, which is much smaller than the first, but also much more potent. When the second blast takes place, a much more powerful version of the BFG's Flash Damage takes place, only generating at the original blast point's epicenter. All blast damage and flash damage from this weapon ignores line of sight (meaning it goes through walls!) However, under the Tome's influence, a single shot uses 300 cells, and it dramatically shortens the Tome's lifespan.

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

BFG 9000[/b]: The already powerful BFG 9K becomes the mighty singularity cannon. It fires a powerful, slow-moving orb of energy which explodes on impact with anything, and has a very large blast radius. Then, at the point of impact, a singularity happens, where enemies and players are pulled toward the blast epicenter where, if they reach the blast epicenter, they instantly die. After about 5 seconds, another blast takes place, which is much smaller than the first, but also much more potent. When the second blast takes place, a much more powerful version of the BFG's Flash Damage takes place, only generating at the original blast point's epicenter. All blast damage and flash damage from this weapon ignores line of sight (meaning it goes through walls!) However, under the Tome's influence, a single shot uses 300 cells, and it dramatically shortens the Tome's lifespan.

Final Fantasy called, they want their ultimate attacks back.

hmmm... maybe the fist could could weild a combat knife or short sword by default. until you get the chainsaw.

the BFG could warp weak opponents to another dimension, or cause heavy damage to stronger opponents and bosses.

the shotgun could have upgraded firepower so the rounds could penetrate thin walls (thickness of a standard door) or multiple opponents.

plasma gun could cause radiation damage that effects nearby enemies for a short period of time, but the fire rate would be dropped greatly.

also, perhaps this tome of power could unlock an eighth weapon?

Use3D said:
Rocket - Upon impact dying monsters would explode and cause splash damage to nearby creatures, like a huge chain reaction.

I like that idea. maybe for a whole new weapon though, not for the rocket.