Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spase

There need to be more winter themed levels

I have a very vivid vision which came to me in a dream. I saw an abandoned construction site sloughed deep in snow in a damned city with mancubi lumbering about on the frozen gurders.

Cool! The second screenshot seemed a little bland, but I like the tech-base and winter theme. The best winter themed level Ive seen so far was the level presented for Dec 24 of the DAC last year.

A few others spring to mind:
Rebirth map31
Fort5 (most of its maps)
Operation: Arctic Wolf (though strictly speaking it might not actually be set in winter)
Various "Xmas" wads, including massmas
Plenty of Hexen pwads naturally use ice features

Winter-themed levels using Vanilla Doom are "cute" in a gimmicky way, but scripted snow and fogging tends to make them more effective. One of the Torment and Torture levels had a snow theme, don't remember which one, but it was pretty neat.

Dark7 is another one, an entire level-set somewhere in the arctic. Cold as Hell is another if you can get it to work right.

Well damn. I guess I just need to play more. Keep in mind that although I have been playing Doom and Doom2 since it came out when I was five, I really only figured out how to play custom PWADS just a couple years ago. Thanks for all the suggestions for good winter levels. I will certainly take a look.

Grazza said:

Operation: Arctic Wolf (though strictly speaking it might not actually be set in winter)

Norwegian winters are snowy, but Arctic Wolf isn't exactly Norway-like. I should know. I may not live at a latitude that would say I live in northern Norway, but here at 62 degrees north it's very mild. Snow conditions like in Arctic Wolf has got to be north of the arctic circle to be even remotely possible.

Vile said:

Cold as Hell is another if you can get it to work right.

What might keep me from working it right? Typically I just run WADs on Zdoom.

Spase said:

What might keep me from working it right? Typically I just run WADs on Zdoom.

I remember a time when the scripts in one map didn't work right and it went to a different state than what it was supposed to be (I think savegames had a hand in it somehow). I forget the exact scenario but I know that an item you were supposed to get was unreachable as a result. It's definitely worth checking out at the very least, though, since a lot of work went into it and it does display a lot of great design ideas.

If the creator would upgrade his work to the latest Zdoom version, I am sure it would be all ok. Since afaik the things he did that caused it to be so fragile. Is now supported by Zdoom.

jallamann said:

Norwegian winters are snowy, but Arctic Wolf isn't exactly Norway-like. I should know. I may not live at a latitude that would say I live in northern Norway, but here at 62 degrees north it's very mild. Snow conditions like in Arctic Wolf has got to be north of the arctic circle to be even remotely possible.

The text-file states that it is "somewhere in the Arctic Circle" and "in a fjord in northern Norway". That description was the basis for the way I worded my post. Unlikely to be summer, but perhaps not winter (and clearly not mid-winter).

The first levels in one of the episodes of Blood is set in the Arctic. Obviously Blood isn't the same as Doom, but current implementations of Zdoom and Gzdoom could conceivably do most anything featured in that level. It might be a good reference point for ideas considering the engines are similar.

Ive played Blood and I know what you're talking about. Really I enjoy winter/tech base levels. That or, brick themed tech base levels set in a night-time and or early morning lighting and sky scheme. My favorite of this style being Scythe2 map11.