Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

Network quirks

Ok, I'm having some problems with this home network. Basically, it goes like this:

Computer A is 192.168.1.1, and also has the modem directly connected to it. No router.
Computer B is 192.168.1.2, and is directly connected to Computer A via crossover cable. Default gateway on Computer B is set to 192.168.1.1 aka Computer A.
Both are running Microsoft Windows XP SP2.

Now, both computers are able to ping each other fine, Computer A can access all of Computer B's partitions without problem, but Computer B cannot access Computer A at all, nor does it have web access. Whenever Computer B tries to access Computer A, it spits out an error about denied access. Network sharing is enabled on all partitions on Computer A. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Do the accounts on both machine's have passwords? I had a similar problem until I found that because one of the accounts did not have a password, a local policy was preventing me from connecting to the other machine.

For the web access, I am assuming that you have already shared the modem connection - typically when this is done, it enables a DHCP Server - so perhaps if you set Computer B to automatically get an IP, you may find it will work.

Hopefully "Simple file sharing" is enabled on both systems.

Start -- My Computer -- Tools -- Folder Options -- View -- Use Simple File Sharing

Planky said:

Do the accounts on both machine's have passwords? I had a similar problem until I found that because one of the accounts did not have a password, a local policy was preventing me from connecting to the other machine.

Interesting to note: Computer A has two accounts, one with a password (mum's account) and one without a password (my account). The account name on Computer B is the exact same as my account on Computer A, but neither accounts have passwords. I'll try using a password though.

EDIT: And now they can't see each other at all on the workgroup, but they can still ping each other.

EDIT 2: And now it suddenly can. Weird. Computer B still cannot access Computer A. It's like Computer A is blocking it for some reason.

For the web access, I am assuming that you have already shared the modem connection - typically when this is done, it enables a DHCP Server - so perhaps if you set Computer B to automatically get an IP, you may find it will work.

Good idea, I'll try this.

EDIT: Doesn't work.

Firewall?
Simple File and Print Sharing turned on? (service) and you have shared the folders/partitions in WindowsExplorer.
Is one NIC Gb only and the other 100Mb and you happen to be using a cat5 cable?(or adapter settings set funny -- defaults should be fine)
Local Security Policy not blocking data access for "guest" users?
Did you check the System/Application logs?
You can sometimes get more debug feedback if you use the command-line connection tools... it will exit with a particular access or connection error.

Checked with your ouija board?
Made any sacrifices lately?
Attempted conjuring the dead?
And don't forget to check the position of the planets.

Opulent said:

Firewall?

Windows Firewall. I don't have a need for anything more powerful.

Simple File and Print Sharing turned on? (service) and you have shared the folders/partitions in WindowsExplorer.

Naturally.

Is one NIC Gb only and the other 100Mb and you happen to be using a cat5 cable?(or adapter settings set funny -- defaults should be fine)

Both NICs are 10/100, using a Cat5e cable.

Local Security Policy not blocking data access for "guest" users?

Guess I should look at Admin Tools, huh?

Did you check the System/Application logs?

No.

You can sometimes get more debug feedback if you use the command-line connection tools... it will exit with a particular access or connection error.

Such as? nslookup? ping?

Lüt said:

Checked with your ouija board?
Made any sacrifices lately?
Attempted conjuring the dead?
And don't forget to check the position of the planets.

That pretty much sums up the Windows troubleshooting process.

Why are you using 192.168.1.x? I've always dealt with 0.x and not had issues.

Though, one really weird thing -- I find I can't use filesharing sometimes if the connectivity icon for systray is not turned on. So try setting that to on on both machines and see what happens. (Seriously, I'll check the box and hit OK, and it'll click in a few seconds as if the connection JUST registered.)

exp(x) said:

That pretty much sums up the Windows troubleshooting process.

rofl true.

Neways that sort of networking in Windows has never ever worked right, so I would put more thought into an alternative.

deathz0r said:

Windows Firewall. I don't have a need for anything more powerful.
Naturally.

But have you tried turning it off?

Also, you might have luck installing the NetBEUI protocol; XP will use that for file sharing stuffs if TCP/IP isn't working for that. Here's how to install it.

Bloodshedder said:

But have you tried turning it off?

It's off now. Still no effect.

It seems that if I set the default gateway on Computer A to 192.168.1.1, I can access Computer A from Computer B, but Computer A's internet access will die.

Also, you might have luck installing the NetBEUI protocol; XP will use that for file sharing stuffs if TCP/IP isn't working for that. Here's how to install it.

Russell told me about that. No dice.

Amazingly, this was all fixed by going through the Network Setup Wizard. I was hesistant at first, but my brother insisted on that "it works for some ungodly reason". I don't know whether to curse or bless Microsoft, but now everything is honky dory!

deathz0r said:

I don't know whether to curse or bless Microsoft, but now everything is honky dory!

Microsoft coded something that works? o.O

Ultraviolet said:

Why are you using 192.168.1.x? I've always dealt with 0.x and not had issues.

Some networks use .0.x, some use .1.x. Some use others. It doesn't make a spit in the ocean's difference (unless of course your computers are .1.x and your router is .0.x, which usually means they're on completely disconnected networks).

AndrewB said:

(unless of course your computers are .1.x and your router is .0.x, which usually means they're on completely disconnected networks).

Not necessarily! It depends on your subnet mask.