Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I made it as far as the room behind the yellow key door (with the hell knight) before running out of doors I could open.

OK, I can see that you have tried to make an interesting map, and that you have a reasonable feel for gameplay. However, the technical execution has major flaws.

Firstly, the map won't work at all with Doom2.exe (your claim in the text-file cannot be based on actual testing). In fact, it is only playable with Zdoom or ports that have compatibility with its handling of mapping errors such as invalid tags and wrong "passthru" issues. I was able to play it in Prboom-plus only by activating these compatibility options. These errors can be corrected in the wad.

The main specific problems in this respect are:

• Some linedef types that require tags are missing them. In most cases applies to doors and has the effect of them not working at all. OK, the wad is called Prison, but I don't imagine you intended the player to be completely trapped. This type of error can be detected quite easily using WadAuthor.
  • In the original game, all special lines block "use". This means that if there is a special line (of any type) in front of a switch, then the player is completely unable to press that switch. If you absolutely must have a special line in front of a switch, then you can give it the passthru flag, but this means that the map then requires Boom compatibility, which can be viewed as careless mapping if the map otherwise uses no Boom features. This problem is more difficult to detect - I don't know of an automated way, but in a map of this size simply walking around the map (not in Zdoom) and trying to open the doors will be adequate.
There are major problems with texturing. I don't know precisely what the cause is - maybe other people can advise on how to sort this out.

The crusher is crude - having a whole ceiling come down doesn't look good. A few crushing bars coming down would create have a much better visual impression.

Few people will think it makes sense to have Wolfenstein textures in a non-Wolf map.

I'm not sure about the idea of having a boss shooter. A better planned final battle with teleporting monsters would probably be better.

The health and ammo supply is a bit excessive. The archie traps are OK, but you as they stand are a bit toothless given how well armed the player is by those points. Maybe combine them with some revenants or some other problem for the player to tackle at the same time.

Once you have sorted out the basics of making a functioning map, you can then think about how to make it generally prettier to look at, and enhancing the action. So far you have make an enthusiastic start, and have come to the right place to get no-nonsense advice on how to improve.

Thank you for the advices Grazza. I am new in this of doing levels for the Doom 2. I have to indicate that the level I it have created with the deepsea 12 version Shareware and could not have improved many things as the crusher because not podia to insert mas sectors, tiny it(he,she) is furious(storms), apart from the fact that in the end queria to do an exit mas handsome(pretty) for the level but I had to agree to put 4 wretched trees.

The level prove in Zdoom, to close I think to indicate the program q use to play it, thousand pardons

ducon said:
Did you mean prison, or was the mispelling on purpose?

Gee, I had heard the French were arrogant but didn't think they'd go so far as to consider other languages to be misspelled forms of their perfect language!

I am not French,, I am from Spain and my English level is not very high that we say, I use a translator. If slightly this written evil is through the fault of this one

Kaiba Corp said:
I am not French

It was a joke aimed at ducon (era un chiste dirijido a ducon).

Yup, I try to write English or French the best I can.
When I saw “La prision”, I thought it was mispelled French.

Grazza said:
In fact, it is only playable with Zdoom

And only the newer versions, to be precise, as above (in addition to the initial Doom2) I had used ZDoom v1.17c and ZDaemon to see if the wad worked, and it didn't.