Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ixfd64

how many monsters have you killed in the Doom series?

Think about it...

Suppose you practice episode runs and kill about 200 on the average. If you do 10 runs in a day, that's 2000 monsters. 2000 * 365 > 7 million monsters!

I'm sure some hardcore Doomers can do more!

I personally have no idea how many monsters I've killed in total, but it's probably way less than 300,000, lol.

What kind of thread is this?

People actually keep track of how many monsters they have killed throughout their Doom history?

Who the hell does 10 runs a day through episodes?

I maybe kill 100 monsters a week playing random pwads. Unless of course a cool megawad is released, then its more like 1000 a week.

I thought a cool source port feature would be a 'running monster count'. It would be easy to cheat by god-modeing nuts.wad over and over, but it'd still be a neat statistic. Maybe you could add something so if you enter cheats, all kills for that level no longer count.

udderdude said:
I thought a cool source port feature would be a 'running monster count'. It would be easy to cheat by god-modeing nuts.wad over and over, but it'd still be a neat statistic. Maybe you could add something so if you enter cheats, all kills for that level no longer count.

Perhaps it could list the ones killed while using cheats aside. Still, it wouldn't be for competitive purposes of any sort since you could always use one of those superweapons mods to "cheat", or wads with many Imps and few tough monsters. Maybe the stats could also list kills per wad, per game, and per difficulty level, in addition to the grand total.

So very impossible to find out. If you count random editor+god-mode experiments, it gets to insane numbers fast. (Large open room full of human-hitscan monsters = like 90% of them dead in a few seconds) Plus, playing through maps like "Holyhell.wad" definitely does wonders to the counter. Quite simply... a *lot*.

Oh, and that example is ridiculously exaggerated. Even one million in a year would be pretty crazy (still as much as 2,7k monsters per day - if we use 100 as an average monster amount per level, it's roughly a megawad per day through a year).

You could've just as well said, "Someone plays through Nuts.wad 50 times a day. Think about it: 193M monsters per year! That's 10 _billion_ monsters in 50 years!!!!!!!" :D

45,650....zombies
46,437....shotgun zombies
4,846.....chaingunners
48,900....imps
4,575.....demons
1,290.....spectres
689.......knights
450.......barons
2,890.....lost souls
235.......pain elementals
890.......cacodemons
78........revenents
120.......mancubi
56........arachnotrons
23........arch-viles (i try to avoid these)
24........spider masterminds
16 1/2....cyber demons (i try to avoid these even more)

54742.....monsters killed by each other thanks to coluseum.wad

overall monster death count: somewhere between 1 and 1,000,000

-i honestly don't know but i think thats a fair random estimate.

Being part of the demo recording community, I'm better off not knowing.

There was a thread a few months ago, where I made a very rough estimate, that I've played 3000 levels in my years of Dooming. If a level has an average of 100 monsters, then the total number would be 300 000.

The real number may not be exactly that, but I think it's safe to say that it's in the hundreds of thousands. Active COMPET-N players are probably in the millions.

LordK said:

Active COMPET-N players are probably in the millions.

Less so for those who mostly record UV Speed demos, and especially UV Pacifist.

I don't think pacifist runs involve fewer kills than speed runs. Unless you don't count the monsters that kill eachother.

I haven't the slightest clue...

If I have to make a guess... I'd say somewhere around the millions. Most of the kills I made were most likely from the zombie enemies, imps, demons, spectres, and SSWolfenstein guys.

xit-vono said:

Unless you don't count the monsters that kill each other.

Yes, I don't think I would in this context. After all, the question is "how many monsters have you killed...". In my Nuts NM Pacifist, I would state that 4895 monsters died, but that I killed zero. But my point is that both these categories typically involve the player directly causing far fewer monster deaths than is the case in normal play. Of course there are exceptions, where a map's nature forces the UV Speed to be more "Max-style".