Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirby

And God said....

I am almost sure that this thread is going to start a slew of wars and rantings over religious view, but I am still curious to know the religious views of the Doomworld Forum-goers.

In other words - if God exists in your world, how does he exist and do you worship him at all?

As a Christian-Protestant, I do believe in God and I do believe that he hasa great influence in our world. I think that he does watch over us and that he listens to our prayers. We each have our own guardian angels and as such they take care of us accordingly.

I would consider myself an agnostic atheist. I was born and raised catholic but I dropped that shit before I was confirmed.

Quast said:
I dropped that shit before I was confirmed.

Careful what you say, you could offend someone (You didn't offend me, everyone to their own views :).

Kirby said:
In other words - if God exists in your world, how does he exist and do you worship him at all?

What a loaded question. What if on the other hand I believe only in hermaphroditic elves riding polymorphous elephant-fungus hybrids of varying size that manage certain particular and specific portions of existence by playing music-like imagery with the petrified liquid testicle-brains of dead gods that may have never existed at all?

I think you understood the jist of the question and that it really "loaded" with intent.

Anyhow, something had to have created this huge vast universe. However, I doubt that the force that did so watches over us or cares anymore. I'm sure to something else we're smaller than a molecule in relation.

Man, explaining the existence of the universe by introducing a supernatural creator abstraction is the philosophical equivalent of tidying your room by stuffing your toys under the bed.

Fredrik said:

Man, explaining the existence of the universe by introducing a supernatural creator abstraction is the philosophical equivalent of tidying your room by stuffing your toys under the bed.

Haha, brilliant. I do tidy by stuffing crap under/behind things though. :(

Having said that, Staunch Atheist.

Consider a coordinate system. Anything has its own coordinates. I, you, the Sun, Venus, space nothingness, everything stays at an (x,y). God's distance to us is infinite, however. Angels are too difficult to run by. Guardianangels are those who beat pickpockets to death (or are supposed to :) Also in my opinion, there's no fucking satan, no way this guy/gal/thing is a god(ess), maybe just a noisy angel, yet it's just human stupidity that spawns this 'trademark'.

That's my view and that settles it. And my parents are dire atheists :D But I like the music and smell of orthodox churches :) It's even more fun to express your success in the name of God. Makes you likeable.

As I had said in the Bible Inconsistence post, what about forming a cult? :)

I have no idea. Certainly, I believe in something, but that something could be just about anything. That said, I refuse to believe in any sort of malevolent God, one who would send someone to burn in hell for all eternity because they slipped up or made the wrong decision or whatever... Whatever God is, I believe He/She/It/Whatever to be all-loving, if it is capable of love, anyway.

I'm pretty much an atheist. All I believe in is action and reaction, cause and effect. As long as there is no proof of any of the different beliefs, they are all superstition IMO. IF there is something bigger (something you could call a 'god') it is probably an alien race that created the life on this world and is monitoring us now or something.

My mother once came up with an interesting story from a book which explains certain events from the bible with modern technology that could have been used by this alien race. I dont know the title but the story went something like this...

The bible describes a big city and a few men and women who were told by "god" to leave the city immediately and they may not stop or look back. Next thing they know is the entire city being destroyed in a single strike. This book describes it as the alien race (god) that destroyed the city with their modern technology (atom bomb alike) launched from space or other planet in order to control the life they seeded a little bit (as it was probably in early stages and needed a little correction).

Yea maybe a bit far fetched, but being an atheist I think this is a theory that fits the facts most closely. At least closer than a "god" doing this magically in some way of which proof has never been found.

I'm an atheist. I believe the universe was created by random chance and that it is one of many. I believe there is more to this universe than we can percieve with our current senses. I believe that we have conciousnesses seperate from our physical bodies that live on after we die, and that our bodies are basically just vessels for them on the material world. The brain is kind of the control panel that our true selves use to control it. There are a lot more details, but that's the basic gist of it.

Danarchy said:
I believe that we have conciousnesses seperate from our physical bodies that live on after we die, and that our bodies are basically just vessels for them on the material world. The brain is kind of the control panel that our true selves use to control it.

It might be some dude at a table, with polyhedral dice, a rule book, and a character record sheet.

myk said:

It might be some dude at a table, with polyhedral dice, a rule book, and a character record sheet.

Haha. In a metephorical way, it pretty much is. The funny thing is that I'm a pretty frequent D&D player.

I don't believe in a God. Iv'e seen first hand how religion can put someone's feet on the ground that have no real reasoning or justification for living.. and these can be good people, and a lot of them can understand the fact that their religion is their own and, despite their poor initial judgement to blindly follow an imaginary being that doesn't exist, can still form primitive thought in their jelly like brains. For the most part, Christians/Catholics/Muslums/Jews are the most useless forms of human garbage ever put on this disgusting planet.. but for every 20,000 Nazi supporters, there's usually one Oscar Schindler, and for every 10,000,000 religious fanatics, there's sometimes one with an IQ slightly over the freezing temperature.

i do not walk the religious path. for those who do believe in this "god" answer me this.

where was god the countless times i have prayed to him and recieved no answer?

where was god on 9/11 where thousands of lives were lost?

where was god when hurricane katrina hit new orleans killing hundreds?

where was god when the tsumami hit india killing hundreds of thousands more?

where was god when two of my animals died in my hands when they could have been saved?

answer me this.
i walk the religious path no more.

Religion is pretty ridiculous, but so are those scientific explanations for the creation of the universe, time, and etc. Pointing to some obscenely long theoretical equation is about as valid in my view as saying "This is true cause it was written in this REALLY old book." Therefore I guess I am agnostic to both religion and science.

I'm a Christian with some Darwinistic/Anarchist beliefs. I believe in God as written in the Old Testament, who created the world. I believe in Jesus' teachings as told in the NT (love one another as I have loved you,etc). I believe in Heaven/Hell, and that one chooses to go there because of their choices in life.
Some principles that I have found myself to live with can best be summarized by the phrase, "What happens, happens." I don't expect God to make a miracle out of nothing, and that he has given us the freedom to live our lives without intervention, the effects happen because of causes that we made.
Another one that follows the previous belief is the other saying, "Only the strong survive." When it comes to the capability of us doing something, we can either do something or we can't. If two lions (or insert other animal) fight against each other in a duel, one wins because he can win, and the other because he can't win. There is no 'fairness' involved. There is no fairness because "What happens, happens."

I used to be an Atheist, and then became something of a Buddhist. These days I'm a Christian, and generally have views close to both Roman Catholic and Jehovah's Witnesses, but I also refuse to take most of the Bible literally, and I also don't believe all the doctrine I hear. The creation story in the Bible, in my eyes, is a figurative story; I still believe that the universe was created by a Big Bang, and still believe in evolution and all that other cool science. That said, I believe in God, but I don't anthropomorphise him, instead seeing him as a sort of energy, if you will. When it comes to those who don't believe in God, unlike most Christians I've met who will look down them, I instead respect their beliefs and don't try to make them believe. It's their decision, after all, not mine. Also, I don't believe in Hell, as a loving God would not send people to torment after death. I also believe that Earth is controlled by Satan.

Still, in the end, I do take a sort of Agnostic Theist point of view when it comes to God: I believe in him, but can't prove him to be fact. To me, that's an element of faith.

I am an athiest, although raised as a Christian. Went to church most of my life and "became" a Christian at about age 16. I don't know if I really was one, because I'm not now, and they say that "once you're a Christian, you're always one."

Smells like bullshit. * Lights up another cigarette. *

When I die, it's my belief that I'll cease to be. No heaven. No ghostly realm. No afterlife. I'll take my last breath and fall asleep, only I won't wake up from it.

But that's just me.

Dr. Zin said:

Pointing to some obscenely long theoretical equation is about as valid in my view as saying "This is true cause it was written in this REALLY old book."

I agree. That's why scientists verify their equations empirically.

Why not try jumping off a tall building some day? After all, Newton's law of gravitation is about as valid as the theory that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will zap you if you don't.

I believe in Love and in Reason. I detest all organized religion. The worst new religion being New Age (...find yourself..blah...) although not an organized religion, or hardly seen as a religion, I find their followers almost everywhere especially in large international corporations. Where I am confronted with their stupidity on each training on personal growth. The old religions are so far away from my personal view that I consider them irrelevant.

Interaction of elementary forces, early Universe assimetry born out of potentially different laws of Physics, and the fact that everything works to accomodate Life solvable by the anthropic principle.

Atheist with a hint of agnosticism simply because I cannot prove nor disprove a certain extrauniversal concept.

Fredrik said:

I agree. That's why scientists verify their equations empirically.

Why not try jumping off a tall building some day? After all, Newton's law of gravitation is about as valid as the theory that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will zap you if you don't.

How are those equations validated? How can you validate a theorum about the birth of the universe? To use your example of gravity, you can measure the rate at which objects fall, and the pressure they exert on scales. How can you measure properties of quantum physics? It is just based on some derivative, indirect assumptions.

Science has evolved and continues to change so much that I bet in a century or two people will be mocking alot of today's cutting edge theories, just like we can't believe that people thought the sun rotated around the Earth and that malaria was caused by toxic air.

Plus numbers can be outright lie. Maybe its from looking at too many ballistics charts, but alot of equations using real world data give an end result that is completely bullshit. Not to mention the fact that science is just as dogmatic as any religion.

I expect your quip about how I am a poor ignorant fool forthwith.

Fredrik said:

Haha, that statement is gold!
Although I'm officially christian-protestant I consider myself to be an atheist. IMO there is no need for a god anymore, as everything unknown to us, can or will be explainable by science, rather than connecting it with some supernatural entity.
Besides that, I believe humankind does not, or better should not, need some ancient, multiple times reinterpreted book to behave in a moral manner.

DJ_Haruko said:

Also, I don't believe in Hell, as a loving God would not send people to torment after death. I also believe that Earth is controlled by Satan.

Man, that sounds like Gnosticism. The Gnostics believed that the world/universe was created and controlled by the Demiurge, a powerful god who is basically a bastard and created us just to torment us. The true god is called the Monad who is basically everything and nothing, and completely apathetic. Jesus was a major emenition of the Monad who came down to save us from the wrath of the Demiurge. They're also the ones who said Jesus was married and had children. That's also why they don't exist anymore. The Catholics killed them all for this belief.

I'm kind of into Gnosticism and have been reading up on it a lot. It's really the only religion I've studied with mythologies that make sense.