Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

Problems with EDGE under Vista

Hi,
I'm having severe problems running EDGE under Windows Vista. I'm using a GeForce FX 5900 with the latest Nvidia drivers (for Vista RC1, not RC2), and that might be the problem (but I'm not sure).

When I start the program, the display never comes up (in Windows XP, EDGE would show up but it would be in black-screen) but the sound plays and I can "play" it, but it will instead be minimized on the taskbar and never show up. I'm wondering if this is due to having difficulties running EDGE with my dual monitors, and I enable a third one if I want to look behind me for anything. I suspect the dual monitors to be a problem but I'm not sure if Vista is one either. It doesn't give me any warning and it actually doesn't crash...it just doesn't run correctly.
Thanks in advance.

I've never seen the "display doesn't start up" problem when running EDGE on Windows XP, though a few other people have, and I don't know what causes it. Someone did say they got it working by setting some kind of compatibility option in WinXP's control panel, and maybe Vista has the same thing.

One thing you can try is setting the SDL_VIDEODRIVER variable to "directx" before running EDGE. You do it like this:

1. go to Start -> Run, and type in "cmd.exe" and press ENTER. The console window (for entering commands, like in DOS) will appear.

2. type in these commands:

CD C:\xxx\EDGE129
SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx
gledge32.exe
where xxx\EDGE129 is the correct folder containing EDGE.

Well, hope that helps.

BTW, of course you ran the OpenAL installer which comes in the EDGE 1.29 beta packages, right?

Thanks for your quick reply.
I followed your instructions (because, yes, the Nvidia drivers for Vista are beta for OpenGL) and I recieved the same thing, but something new happened.
In Vista, I was actually able to bring the screen up, but this was after I alt-tabbed. Interestingly, both screens turned black (the third one did after enabled). Anyways, I bring the screen back up and you can see the screen for a flicker of a second. This same exact thing happens under WindowsXP. After that flicker nothing happens. Since doing your instructions the sound now does not work. ?

Yeah, I ran the installer for OpenAL btw. I've also tried compatibility settings under Vista and it still does not work.

Sorry it doesn't work for you. The only positive thing I can say is that 1.29RC5 may work better when it's out (not anytime soon), assuming that the problem is not with the OpenGL drivers or Vista or the dual monitors -- this is the part where I ask if Quake3 works and you tell me it works fine :).

Ajapted said:

Sorry it doesn't work for you. The only positive thing I can say is that 1.29RC5 may work better when it's out (not anytime soon), assuming that the problem is not with the OpenGL drivers or Vista or the dual monitors -- this is the part where I ask if Quake3 works and you tell me it works fine :).

Under Windows XP Quake 3 ran, but EDGE didn't. Under Vista, neither runs (mostly eschewing OpenGL games, but Direct3D stuff, like Zdoom, works like a charm in Vista). I'm using Dual-monitor in both operating systems, but like I said...I would use XP but it's not functioning and I like Vista a lot more. I've tried compatibility options and those don't seem to work either.
It's ok, it's just that I've been a huge EDGE fan since it was concieved and I'm sad that it doesn't work. :(