Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Searcher

Demonipa.wad Boom 2.01 demos desync

Not sure how important this is but, I ran across one the other day.

demonipa.wad two demos
D E M O N I C P A R K by Andy Badorek Recorded w/ boom phase 1.
d:\doom2\mbf.exe -file demonipa.wad -timedemo demp-208 Works

d:\doom2\mbf.exe -file demonipa.wad -timedemo demp-800 SyncProb

D:\DOOM2\prboom-plus-2.4.6.1-win32\prboom-plus.exe -file demonipa.wad -complevel 7 -timedemo demp-208 Sync Prob.

D:\DOOM2\prboom-plus-2.4.6.1-win32\prboom-plus.exe -file demonipa.wad -complevel 13 -timedemo demp-800 SyncProb
tried complevel 5,7,8,9,11,13 None worked.

D:\DOOM2\prboom-plus-2.4.6.1-win32\prboom-plus.exe -file demonipa.wad -complevel 11 -timedemo demp-208 SyncProb
Sync Prob even w/ mbf compat. & MBF itself will play it.

d:\doom2\eternity\eternity -file demonipa.wad -timedemo demp-800 EE3.33 won't work

I couldn't get anything to play demp-800 w/o a sync prob.

May not be important at all but there you go. demos were downloaded from DSDA I think.

Hope my cryptic notes make sense, they are out of one of my demo files.

These are Boom 2.01 demos (to which -complevel 8 is meant to be equivalent). They do indeed desync with current prboom-plus. There's no evidence that there are any memory overflows though (you wouldn't expect them with Boom), so I'll put this in its own thread.

Edit: Actually, I can't find a single Boom 2.01 demo (of the 11 I can find at DSDA) that does play back.

OK, Thanks for splitting it off. I wasn't sure if it was overflow or not. I guess I hadn't run into many Boom 201 demos yet so hadn't even seen this issue yet.

Note however that MBF does play back demp-208, but not demp-800 and it was recorded by the same guy.

After some further testing, I think the description of boom_201_compatibility in the documentation needs to be changed to "Partial emulation of Boom v2.01". The source code includes some references to Boom 2.01-specific behaviour, but clearly it isn't sufficient complete to provide demo compatibility.

Prboom 2.1.1 was the first version that had a complevel for Boom 2.01, and that fails to play back any of these 11 demos correctly (and yes, they do all play back with Boom 2.01). cph stated "Even Boom v2.01 demos should work.", but he doesn't say if there was much testing to support this claim.

BTW, Searcher, it is very rare to need to specify a complevel for playback, and I don't believe it should ever be necessary for complevel 6 or higher - these should always be autodetected correctly. The main cases where you need to force a complevel are Dosdoom demos, some Final Doom demos (depending on what you're using as the iwad), Doom95 demos recorded on Doom2 or Final Doom (if there are any), and old Doom.exe 1.9 demos (i.e. not Ultimate).

Grazza said:
I think the description of boom_201_compatibility in the documentation needs to be changed to "Partial emulation of Boom v2.01". The source code includes some references to Boom 2.01-specific behaviour, but clearly it isn't sufficient complete to provide demo compatibility.

More like it needs to be fixed, as other than playing those 11 or so demos it probably doesn't serve any function. Unless some specifically wads require those settings...?

Fixing it could presumably be a lot of work, and not really worth it just for 11 old demos, unless someone has great enthusiasm for the work involved. Or did you mean something else by "fixing"?

Grazza said:
Or did you mean something else by "fixing"?

No, just that. It's kind of redundant as it is, though, as all it can do is produce these fake v2.01 demos that are specific to PrBoom (might as well not do it at all, in that case). Maybe disabling it might be a good idea, and if one day someone wants to provide a patch to support the existing demos or to emulate the old version as closely as possible, it could be enabled again.

Disabling it for recording (until and unless it can be implemented fully) sounds sensible. I'm not aware of anyone using it to record in the six years since it was made available, but it makes sense to reduce the risk.

As far as I can tell, the changes in the prboom code related to this (the 2.01 complevel as opposed to the 2.02 complevel) aren't ones that would make a map playable that is otherwise unplayable. Though I'm judging solely from the comments at the points where specific differences are mentioned - I'm absolutely no expert at reading and interpreting code, despite the two big thick C++ books sitting on my bedside table. :p

did not know that boomsrc is boom201 sources, but looks like true

boomsrc.zip\VERSION.H

// DOOM version
enum { VERSION =  201 };

the problem with demp-208 is already fixed - comp_doorstuck should be forced for boom201 compatibility

P.S.

and that fails to play back any of these 11 demos correctly (and yes, they do all play back with Boom 2.01)

is my latest version helps for some of these secret demos?

entryway said:

did not know that boomsrc is boom201 sources, but looks like true

I only noticed this just now, after you asked. Odd (but relatively fortunate) that they removed only the executable when they updated to 2.02.

entryway said:

P.S. is my latest version helps for some of these secret demos?

Yes, I've just been testing that. 8 of those 11 demos now play back OK.

The two that still desync that you may not have are:
tomb.lmp on tomb.wad
ven-1116.lmp on venom.wad

DSDA pages that I have found with Boom v2.01 demos:
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/demonipa.htm - 2 demos, 1 desync
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/go2hell2.htm - 1 demo, 0 desyncs
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/ithurts.htm - 3 demos, 0 desyncs
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/tomb.htm - 3 demos, 1 desync
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/venom.htm - 1 demo, 1 desync