Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

How fast do things move?

How many pixels per tic do monsters, projectiles and players move in Doom engine games?

It's different for each actor type. You can look through the ZDoom wiki class list for some info. The "speed" parameter sets how far a monster will travel per call to "A_Chase" and for projectiles it's how far it will travel per tick.

I've noticed on the Playstation incarnations of Doom, objects seem to move at a much slower rate, causing the game to appear very choppy at times, when it was going at a respectable framerate. Can anyone provide information on why this is?

GoatLord said:

I've noticed on the Playstation incarnations of Doom, objects seem to move at a much slower rate, causing the game to appear very choppy at times, when it was going at a respectable framerate. Can anyone provide information on why this is?

Probably because PSX decided to toss in a crap ton of other non-senseless crap, higher pixel rate, etc, in turn for slower animation and movement.

Scet said:

It's different for each actor type. You can look through the ZDoom wiki class list for some info. The "speed" parameter sets how far a monster will travel per call to "A_Chase" and for projectiles it's how far it will travel per tick.

So a missile speed says how much a missile moves per tic? And can it be fractionary? Does an imp fireball (speed=10) equal a demon in Nightmare! mode (speed=10, walkframe length=1)?
How many dots-per-tic does a straight walking/running player move? (or where shall I read...?)
Last but not least, how fast do lost souls charge?