Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spank

Help me choose a new computer!

Well, my laptop is about to die. First the HDD crashed and now weird patterns appear on the images of the screen if I don't press it on the sides, rendering it very hard to use. I've been told it might be a matter of time until it's totally ruined, so I've decided to invest on a new laptop.

I'm currently considering two alternatives around the €1400 barrier:

Apple MacBook (black):

• 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (T7200)
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 120GB HDD
  • Dual layer DVD+/-RW drive
  • Intel on-board graphics
  • 13.3" screen
  • WiFi and Bluetooth
  • All those gimmicks, like the instant-on ability, accelerometers and the MagSafe power connector
  • Runs MacOS X
Asus F3JA:
  • The same CPU, memory amounts, kind of optical drive and connectivity options
  • 15.4" screen
  • 256MB Mobility Radeon X1600
  • Memory card reader
  • ExpressCard slot
This is indeed a dilemma. I would like to have a smaller computer than this one because I've been breaking my back for carrying it around for two years now. Besides the size, another point that puts the MacBook in advantage is indeed MacOS. I like its ease of use and the Unix underpinnings and anyway, all apps I could ever need have Mac counterparts (some of which are simply awesome - check TextMate out). However, I feel that the Mac might be underpowered and too limited. The Asus seems to be a complete powerhouse that suits all my needs, but it's big and won't run MacOS easily.

So, I'd like to hear what you would do in my place.

Yeah, I know - the deal with the MacBook is that the Asus has better hardware namely WRT the graphics card. And I think I can easily install MacOS X in it and it'll work OK, except for WiFi support which is important... but that's solvable by swapping the Intel card for a BroadCom one (OS X supports those natively because IIRC they're the chips in AirPort Extreme).

You're gonna have to ask yourself what sort of games are you gonna be playing on it? And how often? It's helpful to know what you're going to be using the thing for, before making any suggestions.

Having said that, the Macbook seems to cover more of the bases. And personally I hate the idea of a gaming laptop anyway.

The only reason I don't play games with my current computer is that the hardware is old. The games I play are games the hardware I'm using allows me to!

Gaming on a laptop is fine by me because nowadays my laptop is the only computer I use and they've got pretty good specs. Besides, I have an external monitor and a keyboard and mouse I can use with it.

spank said:

The only reason I don't play games with my current computer is that the hardware is old. The games I play are games the hardware I'm using allows me to!

Gaming on a laptop is fine by me because nowadays my laptop is the only computer I use and they've got pretty good specs. Besides, I have an external monitor and a keyboard and mouse I can use with it.

Fair enough. By that reckoning I would recommened the Asus then, because if you're planning on gaming on it, you'll quickly find yourself lamenting the lack of a real 3D accelerator on the Mac.

Have you seen one of the new MacBooks in person? The keyboard is an unbelievable piece of shit. They really went out of their way to make the most form-over-function atrocity I have ever seen. Unless you've actually typed on one of those things and *shudder* actually liked it, I would stay the hell away from the MacBook. I also thought the screen was fairly low quality, for what it's worth.

I don't know anything about Asus. When I was briefly considering getting a laptop I only looked at ThinkPads.

Infinite Ammunition said:

if you're planning on gaming with your laptop, why not save up some more and go with a luxury manufacturer?

He said he wanted a laptop, not a surfboard. Laptops from "luxury" brands like Alienware or whatever are also notorious for having horrible reliability.

since i'm more or less a pc gamer, i prefer the desktop over the laptop, because games are becoming more and more advanced and require a computer to be upgraded, as far as hardware goes. from my experience it is easier to upgrade the hardware of a desktop than a laptop.

the way i think of it a laptop is more suited for business on the go. no upgrade necessary.

as far as computer specs go, i do not know much, i don't get that far into it. i'm happy as long as it works.

my apologies if these have been said already, as it is, where i am, 11:54 PM, reading a long list of posts is difficult.

Infinite Ammunition said:

if you're planning on gaming with your laptop, why not save up some more and go with a luxury manufacturer?

Because he doesn't want to pay $400 for a shiny badge?

Asus make very compentent laptops.

News!

Screw those two! I managed to get funding from my family and now I'll be able to get a MacBook Pro instead :)

spank said:
News!

Screw those two! I managed to get funding from my family and now I'll be able to get a MacBook Pro instead :)

*Spank's desktop pc punches him in the face*

Basically the MBP is a beast of a machine. It has all the performance you could expect from the MacBook, plus an actually good video card - the same as the Asus' (with not as much memory, but what the heck) - and an aluminum body. It's bigger than the MacBook, but the monitor has better resolution, and despite that it's still pretty compact and light for that form factor (this Acer TravelMate is at least twice as big as it and weighs 500 grams more).

And it's pretty as fuck.

I'd go with the MacBook or MacBook Pro. OS X is a really nice operating system, though it has its flaws like anything else. You can use Boot Camp to dual-boot it with Windows XP SP2, too, for PC games and anything else.

Shadow Dweller said:

since i'm more or less a pc gamer, i prefer the desktop over the laptop, because games are becoming more and more advanced and require a computer to be upgraded, as far as hardware goes. from my experience it is easier to upgrade the hardware of a desktop than a laptop

You may as well say 'since I'm more or less a bedroom dweller'. I've used both kinds of computers religiously for lots of different pursuits, and my overall opinion is that laptops are what PC's are. No matter what the power and hardware versatility you get from a desktop computer, the fact that it sticks you to your room just makes it useless for so many things. The most obvious one being that with a laptop, you can actually go round someone's house and play 2 player games. Can you still consider a desktop to be the better gaming system?

Now if everyone would stop gobbling up hardware upgrades like cheese & sausages and actually think about what they're getting, the industry might take note.

Anyway I'm glad people are liking macbook's. Now that they've dropped powerpc, whatever the politics behind that are, it means all sorts of people can benefit from Apple's polished, sensible hardware design. In a few years, we might see the end of trouser-burn machines :)

chilvence said:

You may as well say 'since I'm more or less a bedroom dweller'. I've used both kinds of computers religiously for lots of different pursuits, and my overall opinion is that laptops are what PC's are. No matter what the power and hardware versatility you get from a desktop computer, the fact that it sticks you to your room just makes it useless for so many things. The most obvious one being that with a laptop, you can actually go round someone's house and play 2 player games. Can you still consider a desktop to be the better gaming system?

Yes I can. My PC is more upgradable, so I can keep up with newer hardware more easily, instead of buying an entirely new system, which I can't afford. I can have a bigger screen and better speakers than I would get on a laptop. And I also really don't like gaming on a laptop keyboard, because of the way I have to rest my hands on the front lip of the laptop. It hurts my wrists after an extended period.

And you can't argue that I can carry an extra keyboard, screen, speakers etc. around because if I wanted to do that, I'd pack up my desktop and take it. Which I have done before, and undoubtedly will do again. It's not that much fuss to take your desktop round to a mates house, as long as you keep your wires reasonably tidy.

chilvence said:

Now that they've dropped powerpc, whatever the politics behind that are, it means all sorts of people can benefit from Apple's polished, sensible hardware design. In a few years, we might see the end of trouser-burn machines :)

That's an ironic statement to make about Apple laptops given their recent heat related problems. The graphics card in the MacBook Pro is actually underclocked to keep the fan noise down.

I have heard that about MBPs made up until October. I hope mine doesn't disappoint me!

chilvence said:
No matter what the power and hardware versatility you get from a desktop computer, the fact that it sticks you to your room just makes it useless for so many things.

This is like advising someone to get a Video iPod instead of a home theatre. Sure, I can watch TV shows on both, but the fact that the TV/DVD/tuner can't come with me wherever I go is far outweighed by the fact the screen is huge compared to that in the iPod and if one part is borked then it can be easily and relatively inexpensively replaced.

CODOR said:

This is like advising someone to get a Video iPod instead of a home theatre.

Haha great analogy.