Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iori

'Songs of the Damned' Released

The wad featured in this thread is finished. Yay. Too bad it's stuck in /incoming

In the meantime

download

text

Thanks for coming out.

Came a little prematurely it seems. If you downloaded before, please do so again, this is the correct version.

Breathtaking design, layout and architecture. Gameplay is okay at best though, I'm not a fan of huge open and empty spaces which render the monsters harmless.

Edit: And you can get trapped in the room with the switch that opens the supercharge secret near the end of the map, you can't open it from the inside.

/me comes out swinging!

Why is it two Wad files and one dehacked file? Instead of... 1 wad file. :O

dutch devil said:

Gzdoom could that mess up the conveyors?

What exactly is the problem with ZDoom and the conveyors?

Don't Zdoom use a different method to move items across a conveyor compared to Boom? The timing will be off or something.

DooMAD said:

I thought you already knew.

I mean, how does it affect this map? I don't have the time to look for the spot where something goes wrong but I'd sure like to know whether it can be fixed or not.

Graf Zahl said:

I mean, how does it affect this map?

Also explained in that thread, it's the same map.

Explained, maybe but since I don't want to play the entire thing just to look for the problem a little help would be appreciated.

Does it at least work when the compatiblity option for scrollers is switched on?

It would have been nice if the guys doing the "owning" had mentioned that the other thread also provides a possible method for ZDoom users to play this level without issue.

kristus said:

Why is it two Wad files and one dehacked file? Instead of... 1 wad file. :O

The separate dehacked file will be helpful to anyone who wants to play this in Boom.

I've removed a few "unhelpful" posts from this thread and put them in a better place. Graf Zahl has added an option that could be highly relevant to this, so it would seem only fair to test it to see if it helps before reporting a problem.

Right. I would like to take this time to point out that the thing works in Pr (-complevel 9) and it works in ZDoom both with and without the compat option. The puzzle seems to fuck up somehow in ZDoom no matter what I do but it certainly doesnt prevent me from finishing the map. I started to use gzdoom but it likes to crash for me so I decided to fuck that.

This map needs an cacoaward :)

@Graf nevermind I didn't got to the yellow skull key area I thought the see through door was an window.
Thats whats happens when you play being tired the yellow skull key thing work fine.

dutch devil said:

@Graf nevermind I didn't got to the yellow skull key area I thought the see through door was an window.
Thats whats happens when you play being tired the yellow skull key thing work fine.

I had the same problem when I first played it. That door isn't that obvious. But looking at the map in an editor certainly helped. ;)

EDIT: I just did some test with that puzzle. When the compatibility option is on the yellow key behaves the same as in PrBoom but there seems to be another incompatiblity because the sector it is in gets lowered a little too much. So if that is the only playability issue in ZDoom one can safely say that there is no real problem. The issue with the floor is in no way critical - it just doesn't look 100% correct.

Interesting.

Belial: Ack, it's an S1 linetype, not SR as intended. Thanks for pointing that out (again).

If it actually does work in Zdoom, then I will modify the text file. I was really hoping for a release before the 11th, and it shows.I've emailed Ty to reject the version in /incoming (whenever he gets back), so I'll fix that lift and upload it again after that. Hopefully that's the last potentially serious bug...

Thanks for the comments too :)

I played it today. I liked the level design but like belial said, the gameplay is lacking. I didn't even want to finish it to be honest. Other than that, great work.

iori, this level is amazing. Seriously, this is fabulous stuff. I can't even imagine how much work it took to create this. My only real complaint is that I got lost quite a few times due to its large size.

Insanely detailed.

Unfortunately, it suffers from the same problems alot of huge maps do. Mainly getting hopelessly lost, and running low on monsters to kill halfway through the switch/key hunt part of the map. From getting the red key to the end, I had allready killed 2/3 of the map's monsters. I found myself running around looking for keys and switches, with long stretches of no fighting at all. Getting lost gets boring pretty fast.

Another problem is Manucubus and Arachnotrons hidden deep in the edges of the map's cliffs, raining death on you when you least expect it. You can't see them, and you sure as hell can't hear them. This is extremely annoying, I think I lost more health from this than actually fighting monsters elsewhere. Luckily health is plentiful enough that you can recover from it.

Also, fucking with the base numbers = bad. I'm looking at you, Cacodemon with altered firing frames/fireball speed. Although it's possible to just play w/o the .deh patch, it's still pretty annoying. If they look like Cacodemons they better act like them.

Overall it's an amazing looking, huge map that's flawed by the usual huge map problems. :(