Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryback

DHT3 GM demopack

Hi everyone. I thought it would be a nice thing to release this for Doom's thirteenth birthday. Most of the demos here have been gathering dust for over a year but Grazza's little comment a week or so ago inspired me to wrap it up and post it. Let me know if there are any mistakes in the demos or the routes, I'm sure there's some. Or if you can do some of the levels I couldn't, for that matter...

Here. Or here if that doesn't work for you.

Nice stuff, and very appropriate.

Your comments about the old style of NM play and the purging of the pre-1.9 demos from the idgames archives led to me poking about a bit on the web. You never know, maybe there's a copy of them somewhere...

No luck, but I did find one thing that is relevant.

On this page there is a reference to an old E1M3 NM by Steffen Winterfeldt, with dead links. However, these links live again by the magic of Internet Archive:
e1m3nm.zip
wfeldt-nm.txt
It's a Doom v1.2 demo.

Ah yes, the old Steffen demo. I'm 90% sure that uses slowmotion.

There must be old versions of the idgames archive on CDs and compilations all over the place. But as for finding them...

Neat stuff, I've watched the 1st episode and am looking forward to the rest. Your keyboarding also enhances the oldschool feel of the DHT category.

Ryback said:
Ah yes, the old Steffen demo. I'm 90% sure that uses slowmotion.

I haven't seen the demo yet but knowing that Steffen admitted having "TASed up" his NM stuff later on, when Iwas reading the TXT I intuitively felt he was making excuses (about the shakiness and his fatigue... it sounded pretty cheap).

A very unusual and challenging take on NightMare! play, there... I guess, when you've done "everything" there is to do in NM, you start looking for new challenges? :-D Anyway, interesting to see many of the maps done this way for the first time.

Ryback said:

There must be old versions of the idgames archive on CDs and compilations all over the place. But as for finding them...

I would love to get my hands on the old demo archive (demos prior to 1.9), I only got a very tiny few.

ducon said:
And what about the DHT? No news, bad news?

it's been dead for a very long time, but it would be a cool idea to resurrect it ?

VinceDSS said:

it's been dead for a very long time, but it would be a cool idea to resurrect it ?

Yep, but how?

The rules for the old DHT categories can still be found online, and one can follow them informally, as Ryback has done, and I recall Radek doing so some years ago too. (Well, in both cases they did rather more than would have been needed to qualify for the titles. And there's probably no need nowadays to bother with the "dance".)

If you wanted to create a modern equivalent, then you'd need to consider what would be interesting challenges for modern players. Some of the old categories would still work, but many would seem kind of pointless.

Still, it would be a lot of work to make a revamped DHT, and I'd be surprised if the interest would be there, however cleverly the rules were crafted (we're a relatively small community now, and the range of excellent pwads awaiting recording is vast). I could be wrong though.

I did mine back in 97-98 I think I completed Doom1 and Doom2 with all these categories : Incubus, Velox, Master and Yagyu. (still got the packs)

I would be for keeping the dance though ... it's quite a trademark of the DHT.