Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Craigs

Gzdoom

When I downloaded Zdoom v 2.1.6, I also needed to download a newer version of Gzdoom which basically upgraded it to zdoom 2.1.6 or something otherwise my PC would periodically crash when using it. My question is, do I need to do anything with special with Gzdoom before I install the newer version of Zdoom (2.1.7) on my computer?

Yes, rather than them "needing" each other, I'd guess that the problem was that there was a resource clash - they both use fmod.dll, and perhaps the two versions you had at the time required different versions of it. Possible solutions:
1) Keep them in separate folders (may not be the most convenient).
2) Always use versions (of gz and z) that require the same fmod.dll (may not necessarily be feasible).
3) Keep copies of the two versions of fmod.dll with different names, and use a little batch file to rename the one you need to fmod.dll each time you want to use gzdoom having used zdoom previously and vice versa. Fiddly, and of course you'd need to be nuts to do it this way.

Zdoom 2.1.7 and Gzdoom 2-0-21 (the most recent versions I have downloaded) use identical fmods, so you're OK using these in the same folder.

I still don't recommend putting them in the same folder unless you want them to share the configuration file. Aside from that there hasn't been an FMOD clash in a long time. The 'classic' FMOD doesn't seem to be updated anymore and the last 2 versions (which was all GZDoom ever used) are compatible.

Yeah the whole thing with ports being put in the same folders bugs me. This is obviously a bad solution to some problem, I'm just not sure which problem. Is it IWAD selection that is the issue? Or do people just want all their ports in the same folder for convenience? I once made the comparison of trying to install FireFox under the same folder as IE and how dumb that would be, but people told me it was not the same. I don't see how it's different though, aside from the size and complexity of the programs involved.

Quasar said:

Yeah the whole thing with ports being put in the same folders bugs me. This is obviously a bad solution to some problem, I'm just not sure which problem. Is it IWAD selection that is the issue?

Most definitely not because ZDoom allows to specify the IWAD search path in the configuration (but many users apparently don't know that.) I currently have 6 versions of (G)ZDoom installed which all access the same IWADs in one central directory.

Or do people just want all their ports in the same folder for convenience?

Some apparently do but no matter which port you use it's not recommended. It only gets tedious for those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path.

I once made the comparison of trying to install FireFox under the same folder as IE and how dumb that would be, but people told me it was not the same. I don't see how it's different though, aside from the size and complexity of the programs involved.

Of course it's the same! No matter how large an application is you can never rule out interference when accessing certain files.

Quasar said:
Yeah the whole thing with ports being put in the same folders bugs me.

(Less expert) users simply put the new engine in their DOOM, DOOM2, or DOOM95 folder. Then when they come around to another engine, they also add it there. Some even put PWADs and other programs in there, which adds to the clutter. Once the clutter gets annoying (or if there is a conflict running two engines) then maybe they start making other folders, especially if they've read about DOOMWADDIR or other configuration options that allow you to set different sorts of wad directories.

One thing that is annoying is engines that dump files into the IWAD directory... those lose some respect. Everything like that should accompany the executable.

Graf Zahl said:

Some apparently do but no matter which port you use it's not recommended. It only gets tedious for those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path.

DOOMWADDIR

What part of 'those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path' didn't you understand?

Anyway, even DOOMWADDIR is not sufficient because most ports stubbornly pick Doom2.wad when no parameter is passed so if you want to play something else it's almost as worthless as no option at all.

I do it like this:

D:\
   Spel\
        Doom\ (Doom IWADs and crap cause I am lazy)
             Zdoom\
             GZdoom\
             Legacy\
etc.

Then I just make shortcuts to each pwad.

Graf Zahl said:

What part of 'those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path' didn't you understand?

You fail the concept of environment variables totally, utterly, and completely and thats all that I need to say, but I'll go on neways, just to piss you off some more.

PrBoom, for instance, stores my IWAD path just fine. And it does it, omigod, via DOOMWADDIR, which works just as well or better than putting the directory in zdoom's config (better because I didn't actually have to do it), and is just as permanent, if not more, because if I get rid of my config for whatever reason then the env variable is still there. (the path btw is /usr/share/games/doom in case you were wondering).

Also, DOOMWADDIR and autoselecting DOOM2.WAD by default have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

HobbsTiger1 said:

You fail the concept of environment variables totally, utterly, and completely and thats all that I need to say, but I'll go on neways, just to piss you off some more.

You are an idiot, plain and simple, if you don't even understand a simple question and interpret the exact opposite of what it means into it.

I ask you again: What part of 'those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path' didn't you understand? Doesn't an environment variable match that criteria (even though it is a method that should not be the only means to do it.

Anyway, with most ports even this doesn't help whatsoever if I want to start anything but Doom2.wad. For all others I still have to specify the IWAD manually.

Yeah you really aren't one to talk about being an idiot, seeing as you misinterpreted what I said, and I decided to follow suit with you by misinterpreting what you said, and you are still way too fucking slow to catch on. Neways I would continue our lovely discussion but talking to you is almost as amusing these days as stabbing myself so I'll cease to bother.

HobbsTiger1 said:

... as stabbing myself...

Please do...
please do...

The world would be a better place! :D

As long as we're in the X-Mas spirit, Germany, start passing every stupid law against video games you can. For the good of people everywhere :D

Neways ignored, you havent said much thats useful to me for quite a while anyway.

I thought that ZDoom used DOOMWADDIR as an IWAD search criteria. Either that, or I stuck the wads in the zdoom directory and haven't bothered to look at them since.

And I used to have all of my source ports in one directory, because when I didn't know about DOOMWADDIR or configuration files, it was much easier to have them all in the same directory so I could start the WAD's I wanted from the command line easier, without having to put in any paths. 'Course, now I have my source ports in seperate directories, use DOOMWADDIR, and have Open With... associated with all my source ports.

And fucking christ Hobbs, can you go ten fucking seconds without trolling Graf? We know you hate him, and we know you hate zdoom for some stupid fucking reason, and we all poke fun at ZDoom derivitives in IRC, but can you fucking lay off because it's getting to the point of severe annoyance.

AlexMax said:

And fucking christ Hobbs, can you go ten fucking seconds without trolling Graf? We know you hate him, and we know you hate zdoom for some stupid fucking reason, and we all poke fun at ZDoom derivitives in IRC, but can you fucking lay off because it's getting to the point of severe annoyance.

Tis the season to be jolly. Neways since I'm ignoring him it shouldn't be too hard.

AlexMax said:

I thought that ZDoom used DOOMWADDIR as an IWAD search criteria. Either that, or I stuck the wads in the zdoom directory and haven't bothered to look at them since.

ZDoom does use DOOMWADDIR, but not directly. It really uses a list of search paths but $DOOMWADDIR is added to that list when it first creates its configuration file. So if you really wanted you could take it out.

Quasar said:

Yeah the whole thing with ports being put in the same folders bugs me. This is obviously a bad solution to some problem, I'm just not sure which problem. Is it IWAD selection that is the issue? Or do people just want all their ports in the same folder for convenience?

Why wouldn't anybody? They all use the same WADs, and they should all have their own unique config files so there needn't be any overlap, so I don't see any issue unless through some ignorance one port tries to use the same configs as another. Directory-sifting gets ridiculous after a few days.

Lüt said:

Why wouldn't anybody? They all use the same WADs, and they should all have their own unique config files so there needn't be any overlap, so I don't see any issue unless through some ignorance one port tries to use the same configs as another. Directory-sifting gets ridiculous after a few days.

The only conflict I used to have is with ZDoom 1.23 and an older version of ZDaemon, where they both used a zdoom.ini. I had different mouse settings (and other settings) for each one, but still though, it was such a minor thing I didn't care enough to do anything about it.

Oh, heh yeah some people needed older versions for certain things, I can see multiple versions of the same port being an issue.

Graf Zahl said:

I ask you again: What part of 'those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path' didn't you understand? Doesn't an environment variable match that criteria (even though it is a method that should not be the only means to do it.

Graf Zahl said:
I ask you again: What part of 'those which don't allow permanent storage of an IWAD search path' didn't you understand? Doesn't an environment variable match that criteria [?]

fraggle said:
(on Windows!)

Aha, you have a Windows computer now; that means you can finally debug Chocolate Doom's builds there!

myk said:

Aha, you have a Windows computer now; that means you can finally debug Chocolate Doom's builds there!

It's already fixed. :-)