Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJShrimpy

Sega 32X - Phobos Anomaly

Doom was probably one of the most re-released FPS games ever, to reach out to six different types of computers, and nine video game consoles. Doom was ported to Sega 32X in 1994. Doom for Sega 32X sucked ass and was probably the worst PC to console port ever made in the history of forever. But because I was really really really bored, I decided to "port" one of the 32X maps over to PC. Hooray, and stuff. This is the map Phobos Anomaly from the Sega 32X Doom. The map is for DOOM.WAD and replaces E1M8. In my opinion this one is a lot cooler than the original one. And since this is a "port" of a 32X map, I had to make everything like the 32X Doom. All the monsters face one direction only (like SNES) and the sounds were edited to correspond with the 32X's modified sounds. (of course I had to use the 32X music as well)

Anyway here is the download.

32X_E1M8.zip

And some screenshots comparing to the 32X version.
(32X on left, PC on right)

I am also thinking of porting the entire 32X or PSX Doom over to PC.

Have fun. :P

Looks pretty accurate from the screens, and definitely looks more menacing/hellish than the original PC E1M8. What I don't understand is, why also feature crappy effects like one-sided enemies? This kind of stuff is purely gimmicky and reminds me of people who invest way too much time into doing things like recreating SNES Doom for the PC, something that I don't think any serious Doomer would want to play outside of the pure novelty of it.

GoatLord said:

What I don't understand is, why also feature crappy effects like one-sided enemies?

They didn't do it on purpose. The 32X cartridge didn't have enough memory to hold every single sprite. (same goes for the SNES and Jaguar cartridges)

DJShrimpy said:

Ok so what part of "I made it exactly like the 32X version" do you not understand?

I think the "exactly like the 32x version" part, because I'd like to know why any Doom fan would want one-sided enemies. I'm not trying to start some debate or argument here, but I'd really like to hear a legitimate reason why this would be anything more than a cheap novelty that wears off after a half minute.

GoatLord said:

I think the "exactly like the 32x version" part, because I'd like to know why any Doom fan would want one-sided enemies. I'm not trying to start some debate or argument here, but I'd really like to hear a legitimate reason why this would be anything more than a cheap novelty that wears off after a half minute.

Because it was funny as hell okay?

Wow, I don't like that E1M8 nearly as much as the original. Without even being that much different it kills all the atmosphere and suspense. And what the hell is with those two troopers at the end? I haven't played the original, so I don't know how accurate it is. But it also doesn't much feel like the kind of map I'd bother converting over :P I like that you went the extra mile to do the one-sided enemies, but some people might prefer them just as they normally are.

GoatLord said:

I think the "exactly like the 32x version" part, because I'd like to know why any Doom fan would want one-sided enemies.

If I didn't add the 32X sprites then it wouldn't be considered a total conversion now would it. Your basicly asking me "why does this 32X conversion have 32X sprites in them?"

That's like someone making a Commander Keen game and then you email them complaining that it was a platformer.

I'd say, remove all the repeating sprites. They bloat the wad retardedly for a worthless effect. Most people that'll even care to play this remap will just rip them out, and you're making them download a much larger file because of the sprites. In any case, if you really think they are important, put them in a separate wad and package.

The Sega 32X DOOM used the shotgun reload sound as a teleporter sound? Weird. If so, maybe it was a bug.

myk said:

The Sega 32X DOOM used the shotgun reload sound as a teleporter sound? Weird. If so, maybe it was a bug.

Actually it's the weapon pickup sound. :P

ROFL, the off-key notes in the Sega 32x music make the song seem more like a "hopeful" song than a sinister song. :Þ

I know this is just a remake of something you didn't originally make, so I hope you don't take offense when I say that it was awful. Takes all the magic out of what was one of the most memorable maps in Doom.

Actually I think the 32X e1m8 has way more atmosphere than the PC one, especially due to its odd music. Definitely my favorite doom port

GoatLord said:
I think the "Doom" part, because I'd like to know why any gaming fan would want to play a 13 year-old game. I'm not trying to start some debate or argument here, but I'd really like to hear a legitimate reason why this would be anything more than a cheap novelty that wears off after a half minute.

Oh, right, CODOR, we can't ask any questions whether anything we do here would be worthwhile, or we'll find out we're playing some old worthless game!

Heh I rememeber starting some of these conversions years ago.

The only one I finished was the Spawning Vats. Probably my favorite conversion of them all, since it was so radically different. I made it for Doom2 and also put in some Doom2 goodies/baddies for bonus excitement :D :D

In retrospect, I wish I would have converted all the pieces that were cut from the original for the 32X, instead of editing them out as in the 32X version.

DJShrimpy said:

Actually it's the weapon pickup sound. :P

Oh yeah I remember that, I always wondered if that was a mistake.

DJShrimpy said:

If I didn't add the 32X sprites then it wouldn't be considered a total conversion now would it.

It's not a total conversion anyway, since you're using original textures, sprites, etc. The clue is in the name, really: TOTAL conversion. If you're not replacing all (or at least over 90% or so) of the original game data used in the level(s) with new (as in not modified from the original) resources, then it's a partial conversion.

Doom 64 qualifies as a TC, but a conversion of SNES or 32X Doom never will; even if you import the resources from those ports, they're still based on those of the original game.