Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Why have so many Christians gotten up in arms over Doom over the years...

I doubt it's that many; the media tends to exaggerate causes groups start (especially when these use the media or associate with the media). In any case, maybe someone could pose that DOOM is blasphemous in dealing with a sacred matter in a nonserious way, or that in depicting the demons and exposing players to their images continually it should demonize them (you do unto the demons as they do unto you, and become like them).

insertwackynamehere said:

Sandy Peterson is a Mormon :P and he helped create Doom.

Sandy Peterson is my hero. And probably a much more faithful Mormon than I.

As for why Christians don't like Doom: Everybody needs a scapegoat. Unfortunately, fanatic Christians, parents groups and liberal politician whores choose Doom. Yeah, it's violent. Yeah, it deals with satanic topics. Yeah, those people need to take a chill pill and get a life.

Still, I think the blame hasn't been on Doom's shoulders for a while now, thanks in part to Grand Theft Auto. Fact is, whatever is hot, whatever they can use to blame for America's problems, they'll jump on the bandwagon. In another five years it'll be something else.

To sum it up, why have they gotten up in arms over Doom over the years?
Because they're fucking stupid. **

It's not a liberal or conservative matter. Stfu unless you're educated on the subject instead of busting in with half-assed opinions.

What haven't Christians gotten up in arms over (over) the years? Seriously, it's how they keep going.

It might just be that I don't have TV anymore, but I haven't heard of Christians getting up in arms in recent years at all. Why are you old-hatting up in this piece? GTFO.

First, lemme say that I'm a Christian, and a Doom fan.

Now, most self-proclaimed Christians leap up and say OMFG DOM IS RESPONIBE 4 SARS AND VILENS, but they fail to understand that their attempts to "help" the world can end up with Hitler-esque results.

Coopersville said:
Because Christians and common sense aren't well acquainted.

*cough*

GoatLord said:

If it's a game in which you save the world from demons by mercilessly slaughtering them?

Because you're not allowed to save the world from demons by mercilessly slaughtering them. They want Jesus doing it with mercy. But I think they wouldn't like the game even if the main character was Jesus and was slaughtering them with mercy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_3D_Noah's_Ark

That's just as close as christianity ever got to Doom :-)

I'm sure somebody could or has already made a "Christian" wad for Doom, where you fight things such as Vice, Lies, Profanity, etc. and you put on the "Armor of God" or whatnot (there is already an action first person game with that theme...so why not?)

Why have so many Christians gotten up in arms over Doom over the years...because it's filled with demons, demon visages and pentagons? :-D

Jimi said:

Because you're not allowed to save the world from demons by mercilessly slaughtering them. They want Jesus doing it with mercy. But I think they wouldn't like the game even if the main character was Jesus and was slaughtering them with mercy...

You just gave me an idea for a mod.

Mindless Rambler said:

Lol, filled with the Pentagon. Funny.

I knew it. Christians hate the Pentagon! Terrorists!

The media is full of sensationalist bottom-feeders. Also, batshit insane christian evangalists want their picture on TV.

That's....pretty much it.

I am a Christian. I've been playing DOOM since it's shareware version (not to mention dozens of other violent games). And I see no problem with that.

I think the matter is not really Christians having a problem with Doom, simply the extremist/fundamentalist/evangelical branches of Christianity along with the parasitic media trying to give Doom a very poor public image.

Maes said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_3D_Noah's_Ark

That's just as close as christianity ever got to Doom :-)

I'm sure somebody could or has already made a "Christian" wad for Doom, where you fight things such as Vice, Lies, Profanity, etc. and you put on the "Armor of God" or whatnot (there is already an action first person game with that theme...so why not?)

Why have so many Christians gotten up in arms over Doom over the years...because it's filled with demons, demon visages and pentagons? :-D

Gram. Pentagram, or pentac if it's got the circle around it.

Raikoh_Minamoto said:
or pentac if it's got the circle around it.

Pentacle.

GoatLord said:

Why have so many Christians gotten up in arms over Doom over the years...

Because the Christians concerned are also dick-heads. End of story.

I myself am a faithful mormon, and my friends and I (keep in mind I live in a place where almost everyone in my school is mormon) play Doom all of the time.

I believe that the reason Christian leaders advise against playing games like Doom is because they are very violent and feature demonic symbolism. I personally think it is a choice if you want to expose yourself to these things. I have no problem with Doom.

As said before, people are getting together and trying to blame america's problems on video games. This is, after all, the first generation to grow up on computers and video games (with violence), so we are kind of guinea pigs. Just because the kids at columbine played Doom doesn't mean that Doom caused it. It may have been a catalist, but if Doom wasn't, something else would have been. I believe that video games aren't the cause of crime. As a matter of fact, crime in the U.S. has dropped dramatically since the early 1990's.

Being a Mormon, you should take my word for the first paragraph (and no we don't have multiple wives - it is actually against our religion. If you want to know where the rumors came from, PM me)