Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orna fulsamee

Doom alpha weapons

This wad is based off the doom alpha weaponry, but before you start groaning, I want you to know that this is my first attempt at weapon wads. I use XWE and my only question is, How do I assemble the guns into a wad file?

P. S. this is for ultimate doom.

By telling us this is your first weapons mod, and that you dont know how to make it, is *******ely something worth groaning in despair about (Not the sexual groan).

But anyway, you'll have to be more specific, Assemble? Are you making it for ZDoom in DECORATE? DeHackEd? JDoom? Legacy? What do you have so far? Did you read the ZDoom wiki? Did you read any Wiki?

Edit : ******* is "Smudged" ?

Zeg-Vok said:

Edit : ******* is "Smudged" ?

Look it up in a dictionary. You'll probably get a surprise.

I don't really understand the point of replacing the "final" weapons with the "alpha" ones, because it seems like they'd have the exact same function, only with different graphics. If this is going to be more than a purely visual gimmick, it could work.

Both the "alpha rifle" and the old BFG had rather different behaviour than any final weapon. If my memory serves me well the alpha rifle was much like a pistol with extra damage added to it, and of course that silly bayonet that was dropped so quickly. The alpha BFG...well, it looked like Christmas ;)

I must be the only one amused by the fact that the creator is making a big deal over a graphics replacement. "UGH IM GONNA HAVE TO CANCEL IT OH NO :("

no plz dont cancel it it soandz awesum plz

Don't pay attention to the grammar nerds. Now back in topic, I suggest using Nwt or Nwtpro, both are very old and limited tools, but user friendly.
To extract sprites from the alphas you can use deutex. Another chance could be to extract them from pwads that used the alpha weapons. This could save a little work as all you need is extract and place over the same sprite (but in a diferent wad), saving the tedious work of inserting sprite size and coordinates for certain weapons.

Another thing you need, is to extract the s_start and s_end raw entry in order to make the sprites compatible with DOOM.

Here's little step to step instructions if you want to follow this way.
-Go to doomworld main page, enter the utilities section, and download Nwt or Nwtpro.
-Find wads with the alpha weapons.
-Load one of them with Nwt.
-Find the s_start entry
-Extract is as a raw file
-Without leaving insert it over the same entry, but tell nwt to do it in a diferent wad (as a sample, a-w.wad)
-Mark all the sprites you want to extract with the space bar, and extract them all as gif files, again, over the same entries, but in a-w.wad.
-If you want to add sprites from other wad, you can load it (no need o save), mark the sprites you want, and same operations (no need to extract the s_start entry again).
-Once you added all the sprites you want, find the s_end entry in one of the wads, extract it as a raw file, and insert it, again, same entry, a-w.wad.
-If later you want to add more sprites, extract and insert over a-w.wad, load a-w.wad remove the s_end entry, load other wad, insert again the s_end entry in a-w.wad (this will place it at the bottom, that means after the sprites).

On this way the wad should be compatible with source ports, if you want it to be compatible with vanilla doom/2.exe type this
nwt -as a-w.wad
Assuming you have a copy of DOOM/2.wad in the same directory, this will add all the sprites from the iwad. Now the wad is compatible with vanilla exes, problem is that it has copyright material that technicaly can't be uploaded, and also it uses more hard drive than before, wich means longer time uploading and downloading. If you want to share your wad with others just point the users to do this operation on their own computers, of course you can have a copy on your computer with the iwad sprites added.

You may also need fx for the weapons, and to do some dehacked/decorate work.

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask if I wasn't clear.

Orna fulsamee, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

myk, before you start using the newproject tag, make sure the person is actually asking for help (asking how to achieve something and asking someone to do it for you are two different things). Keep in mind we've already seen many inappropriate uses of the newproject tag.

Bungleist, before you start using the newproject correction template, make sure the person is not actually replying to a completely pointless and inane bump that's reposting some rubbish about leaving some other community, that we could care less about. Keep in mind we've already seen many inappropriate uses of the newproject mock up imitation.