Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SulfurOccult

disable running

i'm working on a little doom project where the gameplay is intended to be slower, so i want to disable the player's ability to run. but how can i accomplish this?

EDIT: ZDoom by the way.

i considered that. but what is half of 0? maybe i just wasn't looking for at the right stuff but the Things section of WhackEd says the Player speed is 0 it didn't make any sense to me.

You can't change the player speed using dehacked. The only way I know how to do it is by changing it with a script or console variables.

It's true that you can't change the player's speed via dehacked (i.e. by using dehacked with doom2.exe or ports that adhere to its handling of deh patches in this respect), but Zdoom does actually allow this (and this would provide a solution given that your project is Zdoom-only). However, I don't see a way to reduce the speed by 50%. I tried ...

Thing 1 (Player)
Speed = 0.5
... but this had the same effect as Speed = 0.

So maybe you should just ask people to turn off autorun and not to press shift. Or double the size of the map and the speed of the monsters.

You disable running I'll disable you >:(=

Heh but seriously, without giving away too much if that's a concern, what effect exactly are you trying to accomplish? Because you realize something like that will severely irritate the majority of players unless you have an incredibly good reason for it.

I suggest creating a bat file that runs your mod in your source port of choice with the -turbo command.

Something like this

port.exe -file yourwad.wad -turbo 70

Running is the double speed of walking, so of you use turbo 50, running should be as fast as walking in normal mode, and walking should be a call to exit the game and running as normal.

A few wads reduce the player speed and some times it works very well (RTC-3057 is a good example), but it requires to adapt the gameplay and atmosphere.

Try to make running unaccessible for the player, i.e. unbind the shift key and turn off "always run". Does ZDoom support options lumps? If so then it's easy.

Lüt said:

Heh but seriously, without giving away too much if that's a concern, what effect exactly are you trying to accomplish? Because you realize something like that will severely irritate the majority of players unless you have an incredibly good reason for it.

well you see I'm experimenting with making maps with a high focus on atmosphere. I've noticed myself that autorun completely kills said atmosphere.

i'll try the method Vegeta suggested, thanks!

You're likely trying to mimic Doom 3? Not bad, but usually great wads are those with atmosphere which don't modify any engine features. Try cramping the player with scenery. I could exemplify CRUSADES.WAD.

Note that I'm not sure that rotating speed can be modified via turbo - at least not under Doom.exe.

Unfortunately I do not know how to "Disable" running, but you can *******ely modify the players speed using ACS.

For example, in my nprject3.wad I used this to slow the player down-
}

lupinx-Kassman said:

Unfortunately I do not know how to "Disable" running, but you can *******ely modify the players speed using ACS.

For example, in my nprject3.wad I used this to slow the player down-
}

Bad example

Script 99 enter
{
setactorproperty(0, APROP_Speed, getactorproperty(0, APROP_Speed) * 3/4);
}
This will cause the player to gradualy slow down it's move each time the level is loaded since this gets the previous speed and messes with it.

A better example would be:
Script 99 enter
{
setactorproperty(0, APROP_Speed, APROP_Speed * 0.75);
}
I think this is the right way. Look it up in Zdoom wiki before you use it.

I had to do something like this in Ressurection of Chaos .. here is the code I used

script 100 ENTER
{
  int playerTID=500+PlayerNumber();

Thing_ChangeTID(0,playerTID); 

if(CheckInventory("FWeapFist"))
    SetActorProperty(playerTID,APROP_SPEED,1.0);
  if(CheckInventory("CWeapMace"))
    SetActorProperty(playerTID,APROP_SPEED,1.125);
  if(CheckInventory("MWeapWand"))
    SetActorProperty(playerTID,APROP_SPEED,1.25);
}

Lüt said:

Maybe he's trying to give a "Doom 3 (TM)" feeling to his WAD... ;-)