Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Done] Austerity 2 is available for D/L!

Looks more like a Simplicity insult. On your third screenshot you have annoying angled crate obstacles.

Simplicity is more than a pretty blue palette.

leileilol said:

Looks more like a Simplicity insult. On your third screenshot you have annoying angled crate obstacles.

Yes, if you are planning on putting enemies near the crates, I'd suggest that you make the crates even and against the wall, therefore players won't get caught on them and end up dying due to poor floor planning.

Other than that, keep up the good work! I hope this doesn't turn into your Sapphire wad, which I thought was very fun (played it many times), but others didn't...

deathz0r said:

needs more detail(tm)

Equal to the amount of detail found in Simplicity ;)

@Antidote - Well, I'll try my best and I try different things now conc. gameplay and linearity, maybe this will change the point of view, many persons have on my maps (too hard, bad gameplay, etc)

Antidote said:

Yes, if you are planning on putting enemies near the crates, I'd suggest that you make the crates even and against the wall, therefore players won't get caught on them and end up dying due to poor floor planning.

More like due to them failing at Doom.

Angled crates sound like a ridiculous thing to whine about.

Either way, I really can't find a lot of the Simplicity feel in these screenshots.

I think the texturing needs a bit of work or tweaking, something about it makes it looks quite bad compared to some of your previous stuff, in my opinion

Oh looks nice I would remove all crates apart from the two at the bottom that area doesn't look very spacey.Maybe put smaller crates there would be an better option I just think the 64x64 crates are to big for that area and look out of place.

Like the sky alot but it doesn't give me the Simplicity feeling, I think I like the middle shot the best.

Thx for feedback and criticism... I think I will do something about a few things you guys mentioned ;)

Some more shots:

Exit room's left, beyond gameplay and monsters must be adjusted... but that thing is has been almost finished within 2 days... O_o

The new screens are looking better, but are you purposely trying to make it look like Simplicity? (well I know it's a tribute, but...) That first screen reminds me of one the levels.

Antidote said:

but are you purposely trying to make it look like Simplicity?

Well, actually not :) I just got inspired by a few things from Simplicity like structures, color arrangement and texture choice :)

Last batch of screenies before release ;) (right now adding, adjusting objects, items, enemies, weapons, ammo)

BTW: This is not the Simplicity palette! It's a modified Sapphire palette... ;)

Belial said:

More like due to them failing at Doom.

Angled crates sound like a ridiculous thing to whine about.

Either way, I really can't find a lot of the Simplicity feel in these screenshots.

Pretty much my sentiment exactly.

I like the addition of an outside area. Wads are more enjoyable when you got inside and out. Windows looking outside (and you see a ground+skybox) are also very helpful in making it look good. I hope this map is done soon, I can't wait to play it!

Each batch of screens looks better than the last. I'd modify the structure (or texture) used for the ceiling lights, it seems that's the same in the whole level, may be removing some of them (standard DOOM maps don't have many lights on ceilings), so players don't see much at once reducing the copy and past impression some may have. Other than that so far looks great.

Edit: I noted ceiling may be a bit bland with less of these lights, may be you'd like to add more ceiling height variations, some pipes, tunnels of diferent size and height. Diferent ceiling textures.

Mancubus II said:

Is there a reason why this is called Austerity?

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but if not: it probably has more to do with "austere" meaning "markedly simple or unadorned".

I'm guessing simplicity would be when it runs on doom2.exe according to some of these people :P

Nice levels, probably a little over detailed in areas (I've actually found getting confused where to go in incredibly detailed levels if they're not done right, not to say yours isn't), but I'll give it a download when it comes out.

@Manc - No, certainly not, it's more like what jute gyte wrote:

it probably has more to do with "austere" meaning "markedly simple or unadorned".

@Vegeta - I'll see what's possible ;)

@Scuba - Exactly! And I have many ;)

Looks really good to me.

I like the look, its a tribute, your own personal map style applied to a tribute map to an awesom megawad. Havnt played it yet, but It should be cool, if in simmilar vein of your previous maps.

A tribute to an awesom mapperl by an awesom mapper, what more could one ask for? :)