Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

How'd you want Doom IV to be

...if it were to be made? I want it to have all the monsters from Doom 2 & 3 and lots of vertical action (ie, good use of cacodemons). More focus on map design than on shaders. Some place deeper than hell, not Earth. Voidish music. Tons of levels (like 150). Motorbikes. No help from team mates unless cooping in multiplayer. Less time spent on hype. Quake 3 Arena was a good product. I guess they learned from their mistake.

Give the doomguy a decent shotgun and shells, Doom 3's one shoots like a muzzleloading scattergun loaded with scrap metal shells...I wonder how you don't hit your own foot with at least 1 pellet each time you shoot.

I'd like the see id themselves return back to the old Doom engine and see what they can come up in over 10 years.
Reasonably you would get new mappers as most if not all the originals departed from the company (Romero, McGee, don't know about Petersen), with Willits as the director. However they can keep some members from back in the day i.e. Kevin Cloud/Hollenshead have a bigger role now, Adrian back on the artwork. A new music producer would probably be the most experimental part of the development since the classics was identified by Prince. Since Carmack doesn't have a new engine to code/modify other than a simple source port his talents would be wasted though, yes he could add new features but that defeats the purpose of going back to the old engine.
Yes I know most of the facts are incorrect and the project would be unreasonable, but its a neat idea to think of how a company as experienced as id could return to a primitive development that was a challenge so long ago.

RTC_Marine said:
Doom 3: RoE

Incidentially, that basically is DOOM 4.

No, RoE is simply Doom 3: expansion pack. There's some difference. Doom 2 is an independent game, as well as Final Doom duopack, which is also two independent games, but they're not called Doom 3 and Doom 4.

Doom 4 could appear if id wants it and, more importantly, if id is still gonna live, for if Carmack abandons programming... meh. Also id is an engine machine (maybe I'm VERY wrong, I'm just guessing) so if a Doom 4 with a classic look is going to be made, RAVEN is gonna design it. They made good stuff which seemed splashy with Heretic 1 (similar to Doom but well designed).

They said there could be more dooms in the future, so let's get posting as many interesting posts as possible -- so a CEO of id might peek in here and go to thing of yet another doom.

That difference is mainly commercial and nominal. RoE may be sold as an addon, but essentially it is the equivalent of "DOOM 4" in the way DOOM 2 was to DOOM, as they use the exact same engine to expand the game story, adding some new items (including monsters and the SSG) and functions.

printz said:

I want it to have all the monsters from Doom 2 & 3 and lots of vertical action (ie, good use of cacodemons)

I also would like to have some frequent vertical action, not just through flying monsters, but through actual multi-leveled map design! Quake2 had excellent vertical level design, then later only the multiplayer titles like Q3 and UT continued to create this kind of 3D combat, while the singleplayer titles became more and more flat and horizontal again.

Speaking of leveldesign, Doom4 should have more non-linear leveldesign as well. Again this is a bad trend of the newer FPS games which became extremely linear. I´m so sick of being funneled through a long-winding one-way corridor the whole game.

Fun, unlike Doom 3.

EDIT: I think this may have been the first time I posted in a Doom 3 forum.

While quake4 gave us some false sense of freedom, coming to the end of a hallway where you could turn left or right thru green lit doors, you would allways have had another red lit door locked 4-5 feet in, like a "foyer" while the opposite door of course would be your way to go (or two red one green) still for the most part very linear.

Doom3 did it with open areas you could explore before continuing on, some with added interactivity such as shutting down and saving the files of some happless employees laptop in the face of the invasion. or for searching out that elusive last cannister of oxygen before your guy choked to death on the martian landscape ect.

While they had some forms of Nonlinear gameplay, i still dont see them expanding much on what we allready have had when it comes to recent/future id engine based games, e.g. Doom4/IV or even quakewars for that matter.

Id like to see a new Doom made for the..oh say Nintendo DS, which some new weapons and new critters all in classic sprite style. Hey I can dream.

I know he wasn't in any of the Doom games, but if there was a Doom IV, besides wanting a better name than Doom IV, I would like to see the triumphant return of the Dopefish.

Doom IV? Make it in Zdoom + alot of ACS actions, more maps and harder enemies. Allow the doomguy to speak, not just some silly catchphrases. And last but not least, listen to the players best scenarios and interpret them.

More than a DOOM IV, I'd prefer a proper DOOM III (one that takes place after DOOM II or Final DOOM), done with the original engine, by the classic DOOM id team, except Sandy Petersen. Perhaps with some upgrades like Hexen engine, or Zdoom 1.28 or so. Nothing further.

It should definitly not be linear. Think TES but inside the doom universe.

You are one of the survivours of the earth invasion and here it begins.
Some nice metaplot you dont need to follow and voila, a new doom experience.

I won't want any story at all. Doom I was is humorous enough with its simple "Story so Far"/"Things Aren't Looking too Good".

EDIT: thanks mods for helping with the strikeout!

I don’t want a story, but tons of monsters as in Alien Vendetta, Scythe 2 or Deus Vult.

I just want to see how the CLASSIC DOOM/DOOM2 characters including the marine would look designed but NOT REDESIGNED on the DOOM3 engine.

The engine modified to be able to have multiple characters at once, and have bigger areas without slowdown. If you ever played Starship troopers, Something like their bug engine but more advanced.

I'd like Doom 4 to have:
- Things that would have gone into Doom 3 but which aren't used: stealth "in shadows" gameplay, deathcams and last but not least, revolutionary gameplay!
- Jetpacks (I wouldn't mind them!)
- Imps disguised as human workers (they look disturbingly similar to humans)
- Worm monsters (they are my phobia)
- No-clipping "ghost" monsters
- Invisible and partly-invisible pinky demons
- Evil Computer Monitors
- Another corporation based on UAC, but more military, akin to the Strogg base
- Baphomet Brains ala Doom 2
- Special trucks for transportation on the moon surface
- Killer anything done before (killer single player, killer cooperative, killer deathmatch, have old stuff back like F12 spymode and PDA automap, 64 player limit)

Now that they have the big Doom 3 engine, there'd be no difficulty making Doom 4. Maybe not from id rightaway.

DeumReaper said:

I'd like the see id themselves return back to the old Doom engine and see what they can come up in over 10 years.
Reasonably you would get new mappers as most if not all the originals departed from the company (Romero, McGee, don't know about Petersen), with Willits as the director.

This clearly isn't going to happen, though it would be interesting. However, what I think would be amazing and probably more realistic is getting Romero, McGee, Petersen, and Hall to each create a map or two for the original engine after all the experience they've had since Doom. I wonder if any of them would actually consider doing it. Romero seems the most likely. You could even get Adrian to design a couple new monsters for use in these levels. Heh, I wish.