Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx-Kassman

My level was blown to feathers a moment ago...

I was editing my Noob Project 4 installment in Doom Builder, after making a few small changes to its current state (adding a couple of extra monsters, and fixing a defunctional elevator) I saved it and decided to give it a quick test run.

First, I used the auto-run tool on Doom Builder, and it told me it couldn't find the source port it was supposed to run (Even though I used this feature a thousand times before in the same level.) So I said meh, ill run it from the command prompt.

I run it from the command prompt, and it starts to load to the title screen when *blink* my moniter fucks up all of the sudden, i'm like WTF!? how did doom black out my monitor? I reset the computer.

Okay... I open up my wad in Doom Builder...wtf? I cant even choose my level, it doesn't show up on any of the port's lists. Okay this sucks, I go to run it in the command prompt, oh great its doom2 map 1 THE HORROR! I check to see the files size, and.... 658 KB that sounds reasonable..*sigh* what the hell happened? Its like my level disintigrated in front of my eyes... good thing I had it backed up, hopefully that wont fuck up too.

Can anyone tell me what happened here? Has anyone else's level just dissapeared for no reason? I am a bit pissed so I may have not explained what happened very well...

I tested this level many times before and this never happened, why did it occur after I made two minor changes -_-.

Yeah there are several backups, in fact I made a couple of my own, I just want to know why this happened, because I would really hate it to happen in the future again.

I really can't say what happened to your level. Could be that DB's configuration backfired for some reason or another. One thing that you could keep in mind is a technique I learned a while ago is to save the level to a new file when you are saving. If it is named "mywad.wad" then save it to "mywad aa.wad" and continue so for every major installment of your level.

If the sourceport goes haywire and reboots your machine, that has nothing to do with Doom Builder, regardless of the input you give it.