Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

WHY are you STILL playing Doom?

I don't play Doom anymore, but when I use to, it was for the creativity aspect of it. With all the source ports there was more than just a simple game that I'd been through and beaten a dozen times, there was the possibility of going off and creating an entire sequel the way you envision it.

dsm said:

I generally like to go back and play old games. I recently got back to playing Battle Chess 4000 - or rather...watch the computer play against itself (I suck at chess), hehehe.

Doom just stands out among the older titles, because...dunno, because it's fun to play.

Is that the chess game with cool looking characters, and battleings when you take out a piece of the enemy?

And I'm playing Doom because it's the most fun game I've played. Everything about it has something to do with it, the Imps, Arch-Vile, Super Shotgun, the sound the Super Shotgun makes when you fire and reload, everything, except for the level design and storyline.

i could go on for days about the reasons i play doom, first reason, it actually has an extremely high replay value, i am referring to the original doom, i was a bit dissappointed with doom 2, anyways, there are unlimited styles of gameplay with source ports, and things like wadauthor and doombuilder, the horizons are vast. during the creation of doom, people didn't focus on graphics and appearance as much as they did on gameplay, good examples of this are but certainly not limited to, tetris, goldeneye etc. etc.

Not to mention that it is completely original and unique, it's hard to explain the satisfaction of gibbing zombies with a rocket launcher or giving that pinkie demon that third fatal blast from your shotgun.

Doom can never be replaced as my favorite game.Period.

Because the shotgun. Not the double, the single shotgun. The first pic i ever see from DooM was the shotgun shooting a imp.

Today, to me, is wonderfull how cool the old shotgun is. I love the sound, the anim, the effect. Forget models hi-poligns, and ultra-realist sounds.

I like DooM shotgun. :) No other shotgun can defeat DooM shotgun.

I like DooM for that.

I play it because it is simply an addictive, fun game. Plus Doom has some of the most memorable levels ever seen in a videogame, regardless of genre or whatever, period.
Another reason I play it all the time is so I can test out the levels I do for it. And thank goodness for ports, without them, I never would have fully realized some of my maps.

I prefer Doom2 than doom3.

Its not the same ambiance, not the same style, not the same gameplay, even if its not 3d. Today games are just consider good if they come from ps3 or they are made in 3d no matter what is the gameplay.

w00t w00t! I didn't bump it this time.

Why am I STILL playing Doom? Because I fail it at everything else.

Wow this has got to be the biggest bump of all time. And me, I don't play DOOM anymore, nor DOOM 3. But I am still a fanboy of the id.

I play Doom because of replayability, monster and weapon balance, eficient level design, ease of loading (no CD required), both concise and deep plot. Some years ago I could have said that Quake 1 beats Doom 1/2 modwise, but Doom is way more prolific.

But I don't play Doom 3 as often as I do Doom 1 and 2. Why? Because of a somewhat frustrating, regulating gameplay. You are supposed to act in the way they wanted you to act. You can't run and you can't perform feats. It's not the same style as classic Doom. It's sad that survival horror shooters have no replay value. I think the id guys should have hired a handful of guys from Blizzard North, makers of the Diablo series. Some randomness would have worked cool for Doom 3, it would have grown the replay value by three times.

Good question...dammit, why?

Maybe because the gameplay is still unmatched, and because it's one of those few games that never looks old no matter what the marquee date says?

Honestly though, even in 1995-1996 there were a lot of bile-blooded reviewers and ignorant stupid people who knew jack and dissed DooM, and called it "old" and "stupid" etc. etc. yet, FACT: it had the fastest graphics engine of its time (and maybe of all times), most fast-paced gameplay to ever feature in a FPS, incredibly modding support (hey, it practically PIONEERED modding as we know it, and please don't tell me that Zork text adventures were modded even before, it doesn't count :-p).

Aww...anyway, I've done enough of similar ranting in the day ;-)

Doom is just cool, dig it, and PLAY it.

It's simple. Doom plays better than any modern game. In recent years the goal had been to make anything as 'realistic' as possible but apparently nobody notices that this kills all the fun.

Of course let's not forget the huge amount of levels out there. That's also a big attraction.

Graf Zahl said:

It's simple. Doom plays better than any modern game. In recent years the goal had been to make anything as 'realistic' as possible but apparently nobody notices that this kills all the fun.

Quoted for truth!
Whats the point of running through beautiful scenery and effect-loaded enviroments, if you kick the game from your HD as soon as you've completed it?
I own both, Doom3 and Quake4, and I can say that I most propably won't touch them again for several years. There's absolutely no replay value in those games IMO...
oh, and Doom3's Nightmare mode even sucks more ass than classic Doom's.

Vader said:
sucks more ass than classic Doom's.

Eh, I'm agreeing more with what Amaster said two and a half years ago on this very thread.

Why? Because Doom in it's simplicity owns a whole lot than these modern "games". I still have an Intel P2 400 to be able to play this game. Nuff said.

Doom is fun. The monsters are all original, and every last one of them can pose a challenge if used correctly. The weapons are well balanced, every one serves a purpose until the end of the game, except the pistol. It's something you can just pick up and play for a few minutes, or play for hours on end. There's still a thriving community making the game better every day, and there's countless user made wads for a new experience every time. But all in all, it just plays well. It's fast paced, but it still requires skill. You have to know the monsters behaviors, and know exactly which weapons to use in a situation. It really makes you think on your feet, and you're constantly moving and trying to figure out how to get out of the situation alive. It's the best game made so far, and I'm pretty certain it won't ever be topped. Plus all the nostalgic value it has helps out quite a bit.

Scuba Steve said:

Why am I still here?

Because I gave you psp6 warez and you mentioned you were going to remake ghostbusters doom using decorate.

Oh, and I still play Doom because every new game out there tends to suck and I can't afford to buy sucky games.

I play doom and map for it because...games these days don't have the magic doom had when I first played it.

Meh sounds gay methinks, then I go with Vader his opinion modern games have an shitty replay value.

Captain Red said:

because my computer is so damn unstable, I carn't really get much else to work.

Amen, my friend. I also play because making levels is fun and easy.