Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Saddam hanged

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/29/hussein/index.html

Saddam Hussein is going to be hung before 6:00 AM tomorrow in Iraq, which is 10:00PM for eastern standard time. As of when I post this, there is about 5 minutes before the hanging deadline. Thoughts? I was surprised, as it seems a bit sudden after all of this bickering.

EDIT: Apparently he is now dead. I heard this at 10:09 EST.

EDIT 2: He is now dead, check CNN.com for breaking news.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/29/hussein/index.html

What a barbaric and cruel punishment. A US led court, thirsty for blood and an administration looking for a scapegoat to pin their troubles on. I hope the bloodlust of the Death Penalty enthusiasts is appeased by this brutal and attrocious punishment. So much for spreading the values of a civilized society (or maybe this IS what the US is best known for, hypocracy).

Oh the conundrum for the Media! Do we air his execution knowing it is violent and brutal and violates our "higher" standards of "Decency" or do we show it in guise of "This is awful, watch it" to appease the NFL Sunday morning crowd!?

Th0r said:

Raping, murdering, and dictating millions with an iron fist is serious business

Thats a pretty good description of the U.S. Government and their Foreign Policy...

Nightmare Doom said:

Thats a pretty good description of the U.S. Government

Oh, right! How could we possibly forget that time George Bush murdered everyone in Virginia?

Internet :)

What does killing Saddam accomplish?

I expect there to be yet more blood on the streets of Baghdad in the next few days. Isn't it a message in that he was executed in the same killing chamber his own enemies were?

I hate to quote that Who song, but:

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

esselfortium said:

Oh, right! How could we possibly forget that time George Bush murdered everyone in Virginia?

You must realize that the U.S. Government was founded by Slaveowners who wanted to be "free" and created a massive empire through Genocidal Bloodshed of the indigenous population and Capitalist Enslavement such as getting up and going to school/work everyday/night and forced to pay bills and taxes until the date of death....

Anyhow, Saddam was nothing more than a puppet leader manufactured by the CIA....

It's weird to think of him as dead. He was an icon of my generation. Seriously, I grew up hearing about him and always though of him as that crazy despot over there in Iraq. Now he's dead an I kind of feel a weird bit of loss. I mean, he was a bastard, but he was kind of a puzzle piece in the grans scheme of things.

I would have preferred he would have been left in a cell to rot the rest of his life. He would have just kind of faded away, lost in history and memory like Charles Manson or Pol Pot. Instead he will be remembered as having his life ended in what is basically an act of barbarism, the US government flexing its muscles to show the world who's boss. So here he dies a martyr instead of just another sad old man.

Nightmare Doom said:

Capitalist Enslavement such as getting up and going to school/work everyday/night and forced to pay bills and taxes until the date of death....

Yeah, like that wasn't the norm in pre-revolution America or any other European-run lands of the era.

esselfortium said:

I guess I moved out of Virginia and moved back in at just the right times then, I suppose. :D

And where the civilized part of Europe is against it, my backwater shithole has to support the US point of view.

Jawesome.

Nightmare Doom said:

You must realize that the U.S. Government was founded by Slaveowners who wanted to be "free" and created a massive empire through Genocidal Bloodshed of the indigenous population and Capitalist Enslavement such as getting up and going to school/work everyday/night and forced to pay bills and taxes until the date of death....

Anyhow, Saddam was nothing more than a puppet leader manufactured by the CIA....

Yeah man, totally. Communism is definitely the way to go for individuality.

After all, the reason we came here from England was so that we could build an empire of blood where we would beat black people to death! (It's truuuuuuuue)

Scuba Steve said:
A US led court, thirsty for blood and an administration looking for a scapegoat to pin their troubles on.

Maybe internally in the US, and in another sense internationally, like with Panama's Noriega, where the dictator is considered political property, and ends up being put down one way or another, as an example to the replacements (or similar dependents in other countries), to stay aligned within US/British interests or else.

Nightmare Doom said:

Would you please stop posting the same thing each time you see a politics related thread? We already heard you, and if we want to read it again, we can go back to the other 100 threads where you've said it. You should know by now all you do with such simplistic and repetitive comments is draw at best a "whatever" and at worst some sort of equally lame knee jerk reaction based on cold war propaganda, a semi-racist downplay, or somesuch (cf., esselfortium's post).

baronofhell said:

I believe here in the states death by hanging is legal in many states. The last time it was used was on a serial killer in the mid 90's. Actually, according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_hanging
(scroll down to refrences by country, and then U.S.)

It's only legal in Washington and New Hampshire.

Its also legal in Texas. I think only if you steal a horse or something(yeah one of those crazy old laws).

baronofhell said:

It's only legal in Washington and New Hampshire.

Heh, yeah. I remember one guy about a decade ago chose death by hanging then ate a metric fuckton and became hugely obese. When they went to hang him, they realised the weight of his body would decapitate him and it would be considered Cruel and Unusual Punishment so they couldn't go through with it and were kind of deadlocked. I forgot what the outcome of that was.

zap610 said:

Bush should be hanged for crimes against humanity.

he is an incompetant waste of flesh and bone. too much innocent blood has been shed under his disgraced name, and for that he must die.

He knew what was gonna happen, no matter he acted against the knowledge, now he's dead. I think that he should've stood trial for all his crimes and then got his well awarded punnishment. Still they couldn't wait to see this thru. Love is easy, hate is wrong. It is sad that such an institution so definitly lead by the US could perform such a barbaric act. I hope that this was the last deathpenalty issued in Iraq.

jobro said:

I think that he should've stood trial for all his crimes

he did

Belial said:

He didn't.

They really should've waited until the Kurdish genocide trial was over.

Why? you can't hang him twice. It would be simply delaying the inevitable.

First off, to all the people that claim this was barbaric are dolts that have a skewed view of reality. Saddam was evil, he murdered on a whim. His sons picked women on the streets to be whisked to their bedrooms, though only one of them was known to actually do it, and he did so with a vengence. He was a sadist to the core, beating women and raping them, sometimes he was so brutal he would kill them. Nobody should have that kind of power.

Secondly, hanging was chosen because technically, an execution by firing squad would have justified his mocking performance of a true military leader.

And the US was not involved in this trial, actually, this is a common misconception. We apprehended him and the provincial Iraqi government was the one that prosecuted him, provided him with legal counsel and treated him humanely even during his execution. Death by hanging is an exact science, really. They would have weighed him, and tested the machine in advance several times. He was given his religious respect and was treated properly in his punishment.

Those executioners could have easily made his death extremely drawn-out and painful and made it seem like a grievous error.

Naked Snake said:

And the US was not involved in this trial, actually, this is a common misconception. We apprehended him and the provincial Iraqi government was the one that prosecuted him, provided him with legal counsel and treated him humanely even during his execution.

Who created the provincial Iraqi government?

Szymanski said:
Why? you can't hang him twice. It would be simply delaying the inevitable.

I suppose you mean the inevitable because he got owned by a superior military power (Iraq could never have held them back by itself).

And they hung him for mass killing Shi'a (the main religion of Iran by far) in a village due to an assassination attempt on him during the Iran-Iraq war. Basically a barbarous act of war, in a horrible international affair; in a war where the US backed him fully, with economic, intelligence, and weapons aid to do precisely that; crush the Iranians and their supporters. So maybe when the Shi'ites and the Kurds manage to hang Bush's dad (since they can't do anything to the poor Reagan anymore), they'll finally be "hanging him twice".

Naked Snake said:
His sons picked women on the streets to be whisked to their bedrooms, though only one of them was known to actually do it, and he did so with a vengence.

Who, Uday? By what I've read of him he was mentally unstable. And he apparently did far worse things than randomly dicking chicks.

Plus it seems his dad despised him for being that way. But no! Saddam was Evil first and foremost because one of his sons was a psycho. It's proof.

The day you diminish your excessive pot intake you'll notice how banal your argumentation there was.