Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Your best/more efficient DooM kills ever?

One of the more exceptional kills I've done:

1 BFG shot = Icon of sin, it's just timing the shot right when you go up the elevator.

jobro said:
1 BFG shot = Icon of sin, it's just timing the shot right when you go up the elevator.

What engine were you using?

I'm not sure it's even technically possible, because the BFG burst itself, despite the size of the sprite, is pretty small, and it either has to hit the Romero head directly, or else the discharges have to affect it, but for that the head would have to be in the Player's line of sight for at least one tic (1/35 second).

Do you have a demo?

If it's possible someone should be able to reproduce it, and that's pretty easy with todays TAS and building tools, even if it's extremely hard to achieve normally. I don't recall seeing any recordings of such an event, though.

I did this in Doom2 back in 1996, and I haven't been able to reproduce this event since then. Will try tho to do it.

The height of the Romero head thing, the size of the opening, the distance from the elevator, and the fact that it hasn't been considered as a target even for built demos all tell me that this is impossible.

Wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

I once did a Pacifist demo (UV with -fast, not NM or -respawn, and not a "hypocritical pacifist" either) with 94% kills. I'd say that's pretty efficient.

And in a Max I telefragged three chaingunners simultaneously, which was kind of funny.

Dr. Zin said:

Occaisionally you can kill and arachnotron with only two rockets.

Does anyone know why this causes any remaining Arachnotrons to also be killed with two rockets (Level 7 in 30HR2843.lmp)?

One BFG shot = six dead players
One SSG shot = three dead players

God bless client/server.

ultdoomer said:

Does anyone know why this causes any remaining Arachnotrons to also be killed with two rockets (Level 7 in 30HR2843.lmp)?

Uh, that doesn't follow automatically. The reason for the two-rcoket kills in that demo is that it was a TAS demo, in which Yonatan was manipulating the RNG throughout in order to get two-rcoket kills. That is, he would vary his actions slightly, and in any cases where an arachnotron didn't drop after two hits, he would have gone back to an earlier save and tried again. Of course, he was also making use of splash damage where possible to make two-shots kills more likely too.

Killing every enemy in the map without firing a shot (infighting plus a crushing ceiling)

Maes said:

Then...1 BFG blast, a spiderdemon. OK, I know that's within specs, but it's very hard to make it happen in practice, as is the two-hit Cybie kill. I only achieved this once, and it was on vanilla doom looooong ago.

Taking out a spidey with one BFG shot is a cinch. You just need to be at point blank range. Same with taking Cybie out with 2 blasts.

Try that in original Doom instead of ZDoom and see what the results are.

Ichor said:

Try that in original Doom instead of ZDoom and see what the results are.

What makes you think I haven't?

Well, with ZDoom, a BFG shot can easily kill a spiderdemon at point blank range. In fact, it's almost guaranteed. However, for original Doom, it takes at least two shots.

I guess that goes to show how long it's been since I've used DOS. Though I could have sworn it worked in Doom95.

Maybe it has worked in Doom95, but then I wouldn't know since I've never used it.

You dodged a bullet.[/captain obvious]

Ok, after trying it on Doom95 (I still had the collector's edition lying around), it seems that it also takes at least two BFG shots. It might have been easier if I could get the mouse to work, but I'm going to uninstall it anyway.

Doom95 behaves exactly like Doom for The Ultimate DOOM.

GGG, the reason was explained on the first page of the thread. Check the link to cph's article on my first reply to Vader. Since the Spiderdemon is pretty large, and in Doom damage is computed only across one of the blocks a monster is on, a bunch of the BFG tracers will miss the spider. ZDoom fixes this and something else related to the space occupied by things, as pointed out here (by Grazza).

It's possible in Doom/Doom95, but not likely. Maybe like 15-20%? In any case, it varies a bit according to technique and the position of the Spiderdemon, and 2 shots are usually needed if aim and distance are good. In ZDoom, on the other hand, Spiderdemons swallow much more of the tracer damage, making it relatively easy to kill them with a single blast.

myk said:

It's possible in Doom/Doom95, but not likely. Maybe like 15-20%?

I've tended to think less than 5% in vanilla, but as you indicate it is hard to make a fair assessment, since any set piece you try repeatedly will be heavily dependent on the spider's starting position, and also with practice you'll be able to improve the success rate by varying your movements (and thus coaxing the spider into a better location).
Edit: Following some "back of the envelope"-type calculations and making some crude assumptions, I would say about 3%, assuming random positioning of a full-health spider and perfect aim of a point-blank hit, and within vanilla's RNG algorithm.

I recall working out that with competent aim, the odds with Zdoom (2.0.51 or later) should be about 62%, and this tallies pretty well with practical testing. Though my calculation there may have been flawed as I was assuming only that the blockmap handling was changed, and the RNG still worked as in vanilla. But maybe that doesn't alter the chances by a large amount.

I dunno really. But the one kill I do remember was on AV map10 while recording a demo.
1 ssg shot = 3 imps.

Well, I've found it's easier for me to do a 1 shot spider than 2 shot cyber. Probably because at point blank range I tend to swallow cybie's rockets very much :) But I'd estimate spider's possibility higher, maybe even to about 25% to 30% (IF timed and shot right). Hmm, will probably experiment in the evening.

I'd guess that if you're finding that, it is in a map where the spider starts off wholly or almost wholly within a block of the blockmap and hasn't had a chance (or possibility) to move much before you attack it. That's a relatively likely situation (rather than the spider being genuinely randomly positioned), since most mappers will be using a grid.

Well, it seems that blockmap is really involved here - no matter if the spider was awaken in advance or not, I could do 1 shot kills with a high success rate (around 40%) when approaching at right angles (N-S or E-W). Otherwise, I nearly always failed. Something to keep in mind in some of the future recordings :)

Ichor said:

Bullet marks on the wall also means that a zombie missed his target.

not a shame for the zombies since it's their ususal standard :p

i killed groups of 3 imps in one ssg blast several times. nothing spectacular here, it's just rewarding when every shell from the shotty kills one imp, and every pinky falls after 2 shots. and when a bfg at point blank hurts the cyber so bad it's pushed away and can't return fire.

I remember back in 1996 or whatever I used to make little maps simply for the purpose of taking screenshots for the titlepic of my WADs. One I remember well had 2 Hell Knights going down at the same time from a shotgun blast. Nothing too impressive, but I thought it was cool since I didn't intend for it to happen and it served my purpose well.