Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jobro

The cyb just left it's platform! (D2 map20)

Shit this doesn't look good for me, the cyberdemon killed the spider mastermind and walked down the stairs and are now after me! Anyone had this happening and how did you solve it?

Heh nice picture. Done that, and it seams to work well. But how many has encountered this behaviour?

That's a really tight set of stairs. It's pretty rare that a Cyberdemon could fit through that, it seems exactly the same size as him.

I have, and it's usually easy enough to smear the Cybie once it's been softened up by the Spider Mastermind. Or, you could temporarily join forces with the SM to kill the Cybie, but I wouldn't reccomend this, due to the fact that an SM's chaingun has a habit of painting the walls with your innards when used at short/medium range. And that's a small room.

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

I have, and it's usually easy enough to smear the Cybie once it's been softened up by the Spider Mastermind. Or, you could temporarily join forces with the SM to kill the Cybie, but I wouldn't reccomend this, due to the fact that an SM's chaingun has a habit of painting the walls with your innards when used at short/medium range. And that's a small room.

You know were talking about the Cyberdemon going down the stairs right?

jobro said:
But how many has encountered this behaviour?

Not me, ever. What engine were you using?

The cyber alone (without any behavior modification) can't get left the plataform as the stairs aren't connected with it.

With the zdoom engine, the spider's chaingun fire may have pushed the cyb on to the first step of the stairs, after which the cyb killed the spider, and proceeded down the stairs after you.

Remember that in zdoom monsters can be shot off ledges with out actually dying like in Vanilla doom. Of course im assuming you were using zdoom or an engine with a simialer feature (if their are any?)

I've never seen this happen before, not in vanilla at least. I dont think that's even possible unless you are using a port.

Inferno said:

I've never seen this happen before, not in vanilla at least. I dont think that's even possible unless you are using a port.

YES IT IS. Run MBF or a MBF-based port (SMMU or Eternity) and turn on the "monsters can climb tall stairs" option in the "enemies" submenu. Have you done that, jobro?

printz said:

YES IT IS. Run MBF or a MBF-based port (SMMU or Eternity) and turn on the "monsters can climb tall stairs" option in the "enemies" submenu. Have you done that, jobro?

Uh. MBF is a port, thus making the statement you're arguing with completely true. What are you saying ._.

Warlin said:

Well hes a silly man, maybe he doesnt know what a port is entirely.

No hes a silly man, he most likely doesnt know what a port is entirely.

kristus said:

No hes a silly man, he most likely doesnt know what a port is entirely.

Ya see people, I can only read half the sentences, which is 100% percent totally true in case of mr Inferno's post :-P

At least I knew what port is it, and they didn't ^_^

Yes. This feature in MBF-based ports allows monsters to be pushed over ledges by weapon fire. The spider may shoot the cyb off his platform in this area, which btw, sometimes allows the spider to actually win the battle, as its tracers can hit the cyb but the cyb's rockets hit the lip of the platform.

Actually, that's not exclusive to the MBF based ports. Legacy got this aswell as a result of the addition of 3d floors. (Before that monsters couldn't walk out on 3d floors, or even traverse them even if they were spawned on top of them.)

Live monsters being pushed off ledges was something Boom added, if I'm not very much mistaken. (And very annoying it can be, as it can lead to monsters being missed or in entirely unreachable locations.)

Indeed, that was added in Boom. The Boom documentation doesn't seem to mention the change, though. Maybe this is part of what urged Killough to write such a comprehensive features list for MBF, and to provide compatibility options for most of the changes.

I agree it ruins many wads that weren't made with those physics in mind. It's kind of like playing with jumping or mouselook when these weren't considered in the design.