Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Spadger

Oh crap, an e3m1 remake

A late night, i had a completely insane and stupid idea involving a yellow car, a cheese and nineteen strippers.

I then promptly forgot about the idea and made this map.

This map is a remake of the Doom 1 map E3M1: Hell keep. I made an Episode 3 map, since Episode 1 maps had been remade to death. >_>
I've tested it with PrBoom 2.4.5 and Zdoom. It works well in Choco-doom too with the exception of a ceiling that refuses to rise, you can still access the place right behind it though, so i'll let this one be. (You don't even need to access that area to complete the map, heh.)

Screenshots:
http://snelhest.org/upload/images/69228DOOM0002.png
http://snelhest.org/upload/images/96204DOOM0005.png
http://snelhest.org/upload/images/20954DOOM0003.png
http://snelhest.org/upload/images/92793DOOM0002.png

Download here:
http://www.mooload.com/new/file.php?file=files/090107/1168361229/spd-e3m1.zip
http://www1.speedyshare.com/data/323460433/1528105/14772501/spd-e3m1.zip Another mirror!

Edit: Added two screenshots.

I'd love to see the entirety of Ep3 redone with that much attention to detail. And since Warrens is just a remix of E3M1, you already have two maps right there! :D

That looks fucking awesom from the screen shots. You should be proud. I always hated Doom 1, but seeing this makes me want to bust it out. Thank you for sharing this ^_^.

Chris Hansen said:

Wow, that felt good! We definitly need more E3 maps!

Yes, except E3M2.

ducon said:

Yes, except E3M2.

Why not? I can't remember too many cave-canyon Doom maps. This format would work even better in Hexen.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed the map. (And, of course, that the map didn't suck. :])

As for remaking the whole Episode 3, i might consider doing it some day, but i honestly don't have any ideas of how to improve already good maps like E3M2 and the unholy cathedral. :/

Da Spadger said:

As for remaking the whole Episode 3, i might consider doing it some day, but i honestly don't have any ideas of how to improve already good maps like E3M2 and the unholy cathedral. :/

About the hand, map a foot this time. :D
About the cathedral, just map a real cathedral (look at Deus Vult’s one).

You could still keep the theme of teleporting all over the place, but make the central area the main part of the cathedral, with the teleporters that take you there leading to just in front of the altar. Teleports that lead elsewhere could lead to a gallery over the main area, an outside gallery on the roof, secret passages within the walls and towers at the corners. Now i've got an idea for a map based loosely on Ely cathedral but sent into hell... hmm

Man this map rocks! Did you do it in just one night? Can't wait to see more maps from you, any link for previews wads?

Vegeta said:

Man this map rocks!

:D

Vegeta said:

Did you do it in just one night?

No, this map took about a week for me to make. It really slowed down when i got stuck on the part with the chaingun, the caco, the demons and the imps. (Y'know, it was the tunnel in the original)

Vegeta said:

Can't wait to see more maps from you, any link for previews wads?

I'm working on a skulltag map right now, but i don't see it being released soon. I've made two earlier wads, but they aren't that good.

Did you click it twice? The first time I tried to load it I got an error, but it worked the second.

It looks like Mooload has too many people using it already. Hold on, i'll host it somewhere else.

Edit: Done, check the opening post.

No didn't clicked twice mooload sucks the page loads in very slow, second time I tried it said too many connections.

[edit]Second mirror you posted worked yay hurray for me time to waste those critters :)

dutch devil said:

The download link doesn't work for me :( bummer was looking forward to check this one out.

When I downloaded it from Mooload I had to delete an extra slash from the address ^_^

heh, I've remade E3M1 before, for Freedoom. It actually was the first map released that was made with Doom Builder. I'll have to play your version though, from the comments above I'm sure it's better than mine.

Edit: Terrific map! I'd love to see all of E3 remade that good. I never did understand why people kept remaking E1, when E1 is better than all the remakes anyway, in my opinion. Might as well remake the episode that could use the extra help, instead :P

sargebaldy said:

Edit: Terrific map! I'd love to see all of E3 remade that good. I never did understand why people kept remaking E1, when E1 is better than all the remakes anyway, in my opinion. Might as well remake the episode that could use the extra help, instead :P

Quoted for emphasis. It's about time E3 got some attention, especially since it's probably the weakest episode. All of Inferno remade like this would be amazing.

ducon said:

About the hand, map a foot this time. :D

Espi did that for Flashback a few years ago.

This is a good remake, better than the previous map.

Don't remake E3M2 it has got to be the worst Doom1 map made. It is so boring, and confusing at times. I absolutely dread people who map with that white rock texture, it's so ugly and boring to look at.

Antidote said:

Don't remake E3M2 it has got to be the worst Doom1 map made. It is so boring, and confusing at times. I absolutely dread people who map with that white rock texture, it's so ugly and boring to look at.

I disagree, it's one of my favorite E3 maps. I can't really say why, so maybe it's just nostalgia :)

I also disagree about the white rock texture and wish people would use it more. I dread people who use green marble, now there's an overused and ugly texture.

LordK said:

I disagree, it's one of my favorite E3 maps. I can't really say why, so maybe it's just nostalgia :)

I also disagree about the white rock texture and wish people would use it more. I dread people who use green marble, now there's an overused and ugly texture.

To each it's own I guess. I agree with the fact about the green marble. I hate it as well. It's just I hate canyon/outdoor rock/mountain maps. They are big open and boring. I prefer close quarters. I know that E3M2 is sorta close quarters, but it's the presence of that texture, that makes it a bad experience for me.

Really not bad, thumbs up from me!
Hope there will be more E3 remakes from you in the future.