Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

Ethiopia is invading Somalia

The Rastafari movement started in Ethiopia I believe. Shouldn't they be sitting back and toking a joint and peacefully sorting this out?

Edit: Also, why would it get more coverage? Saddam has been hanged! Come on man, where have you been? THEY HANGED HIM![/sarcasm]

Save the starving Ethiopians! They have countries to invade!

lol 80's. Almost as good as arming Saddam in the 80's.

Yeah, I've been eharign about this invasion for like a month and yet I haven't seen a tiny bit of it on the news anywhere. Hooray for Wikipedia I guess.

Wow, I never even knew. I think its a tragedy that it has come to this, however. War is never a solution

Dr. Zin said:

I did not realize the Ethiopians had forces equipped well enough to execute an invasion of another country.

I believe Ethiopia was one of the few African countries never to succumb to imperial European rule because they were actually able to physically beat back the Italians. Not sure if that would still hold true today, but they do have somewhat of a military history.

Kid Airbag said:

I believe Ethiopia was one of the few African countries never to succumb to imperial European rule because they were actually able to physically beat back the Italians. Not sure if that would still hold true today, but they do have somewhat of a military history.

Erm not only that, but one of the few countries within such close distance to the Middle East to have totally and completely resisted the advance of Islam. Ethiopia has been a Christian nation for most of the last millennium. This may be one reason why they are opposed to having Islamic radicals ruling a neighboring country under the Sharia.

Quasar said:
Erm not only that, but one of the few countries within such close distance to the Middle East to have totally and completely resisted the advance of Islam.

So much for the totality; about half the religious population of Ethiopia seems to be Islamic.

Quasar said:

Erm not only that, but one of the few countries within such close distance to the Middle East to have totally and completely resisted the advance of Islam. Ethiopia has been a Christian nation for most of the last millennium. This may be one reason why they are opposed to having Islamic radicals ruling a neighboring country under the Sharia.

Didn't various Zionist movements (such as Rastafari as I mentioned before) start in Ethiopia as well? Like breakoffs of Judeo-Christian-Islam or earlier versions (Beta Israel).

myk said:

So much for the totality; about half the religious population of Ethiopia seems to be Islamic.

Well, perhaps I exaggerated, but relatively speaking... Anyway, I still think it must factor into this. They have to be very worried about instability spreading into their own country.

wacky: I don't really know. I thought Rastafari started in Jamaica, and just happened to think that Ethiopian emperor Haile Selassie was the Messiah.

Quasar said:
Anyway, I still think it must factor into this.

And more or less a lost cause, as their power elite is partly alienated from their own population and certainly less in tune with Somalia's. The result is the encouragement of radical Islamic belligerence, and other fighting groups, that feel justified in such conditions. Even if they manage to control the areas for a time, it'll help breed similar tensions in other parts of Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.

insertwackynamehere said:

Didn't various Zionist movements (such as Rastafari as I mentioned before) start in Ethiopia as well? Like breakoffs of Judeo-Christian-Islam or earlier versions (Beta Israel).

I'm can't remember exactly WHERE Rastafarianism originated, but they do venerate the former emperor of Ethiopia (Haile Selassie) as the embodiment of god on Earth or something. It's really weird because they believed this for many years while he was still alive.

Danarchy said:

I'm can't remember exactly WHERE Rastafarianism originated, but they do venerate the former emperor of Ethiopia (Haile Selassie) as the embodiment of god on Earth or something. It's really weird because they believed this for many years while he was still alive.

according to Wikipedia, Rastafari's Zion is Ethiopia.

Danarchy said:
It's really weird because they believed this for many years while he was still alive.

While he denied it himself. (Makes me wonder what people were smoking back when they did the same for Jesus.)

On another note, Somalia's chief Muslim leader fashions an orange beard.

heh, I thought this was big news everywhere. Then again, Wikipedia is my primary news source, and it usually has a nicely global coverage of events.

myk said:

On another note, Somalia's chief Muslim leader fashions an orange beard.

You ever see the Fly, where a guy goes into a teleporter with a house fly they get fused together? It looks like that guy went into a teleporter with Tails from the Sonic the Headhodge games, who got fused to his chin.

insertwackynamehere said:

pulling a bush

Anyone else think that sounds wrong? ;)

Dr. Zin said:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-12-30T114949Z_01_L28593467_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SOMALIA-CONFLICT.xml&WTmodLoc=HP-C3-World-4

I am suprised this is not getting more coverage. I did not realize the Ethiopians had forces equipped well enough to execute an invasion of another country.

Not a day goes by without some force in Africa invading or fighting with another over territory and not a day goes by when I care.

The thing is you can't really think of Africa too much as a grup of nation states, even in this day and age. Africans are still divided much more by tribal and relgious loyalties than they are by the concept of political boundaries.

Golbal political ramifications are therefore much less than if, say France invaded Sweden (insert roofle here)

Africa's fucked up because of all the colonialists who fucked with their way of life and built up the concept of "race" as a way to categorize people hierarchically and subjugate them easier. I hope it was worth fucking up a whole continent for some diamonds and spices.

sargebaldy said:

built up the concept of "race" as a way to categorize people hierarchically and subjugate them easier.

This never occured prior to the 15th century.