Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Not Dead, Just Sleeping

End my ass. If anything the fat will be trimmed, but did anyone doubt this day (or year) would arrive? The forums are still active, which is a good sign of a thriving community, despite the lack of official front page news.

Ahh, my poor misguided Covaro.

Have you not heard The Eagles?

You can check out of DW any time you like, but you can never leave.

Yeah, and also:

Doomworld is not dead, which can eternal lie. Yet with strange aeons, even death may die.

Doomworld's state of health shouldn't be judged by the main/news page (which reflects the level of activity of a small number of people more than anything else, and the level of willingness to post minor news items), but by the activity in the forums.

Grazza said:

Doomworld's state of health shouldn't be judged by the main/news page (which reflects the level of activity of a small number of people more than anything else), but by the activity in the forums.

We've had a dramatic increase in the number of 10-13 year olds join the forum, including C00lDood, Darkexodus, Impslayer, and that Nightmare93 kid or whatever his name is. Does this mean our forum will soon evolve into a community of little kids screaming "YOUR FUCKING MAP SUCKS YOU ASSCRAB NOOB"?

Craigs said:

We've had a dramatic increase in the number of 10-13 year olds join the forum, including C00lDood, Darkexodus, Impslayer, and that Nightmare93 kid or whatever his name is. Does this mean our forum will soon evolve into a community of little kids screaming "YOUR FUCKING MAP SUCKS YOU ASSCRAB NOOB"?

Well, I don't think that will happen. There are lots of persons older than 13 years and many of them do not plan to leave the community in the next few months... just think about Nightmare, or even me, I am 22 years old by now and I still love this game, presumely will love it in 2-3 years as strong as I do now as long as this community is evolving and growing, still releasing new stuff in a while ;)

insertwackynamehere said:

My theory is that the newstuff will also host skullstuff and its a big secret that will be found out when the next newstuff comes out..

My theory is that you are a delinquent crackbaby with incredibly inaccurate prescience abilities.

if everyone stayed in the community for the same reasons i do nobody would ever leave.

granted, i mostly just sit around waiting for the projects i want to actually come out, so maybe i'm not such a good example.

and you know, we were all 13 year old tards once. this new generation will grow older and take the reins, and though the community will grow significantly smaller as older members retire along with youngbloods who lose interest (as they are wont to do) the community will still be active. doom allows for quite a lot of innovation, and almost anybody can play it on their system no matter how old it is- which is the biggest reason why doom will never die.

as regards the concept of a historical site, i think that would probably be for the best. however, this is still the only site i go to for my doom mod news (short of browsing the zdoom forums) and thus there should at least be some kind of news box.

The introduction of thought-controlled level editing for DoomXVII may have a negative effect on the wad output, but until then, Doom will reign supreme.

Edit: At first glance, I thought the headline said "Not just sleeping, dead"

I always look forward to /newstuff and get pissed off when I wake up sunday morning to realize it hasn't been posted yet.

Does doomworld need better management or are there truly not enough map submissions?

Zeroth said:

Does doomworld need better management

What would they do? "DEATHZ0R YOU'RE FIRED! WE'LL GET SOMEONE MORE CAPABLE TO DO /NEWSTUFF, DAMMIT!" Yeah, good luck getting anyone AT ALL.

Ultraviolet said:
Yeah, good luck getting anyone AT ALL.

Hey... what about Covaro?!

Ultraviolet said:

What would they do? "DEATHZ0R YOU'RE FIRED! WE'LL GET SOMEONE MORE CAPABLE TO DO /NEWSTUFF, DAMMIT!" Yeah, good luck getting anyone AT ALL.

Replace "deathz0r" with "AlexMax" for the /newstuff that is due, and you have an accurate statement of the condition of things.

Tormentor667 said:

Well, I don't think that will happen. There are lots of persons older than 13 years and many of them do not plan to leave the community in the next few months... just think about Nightmare, or even me, I am 22 years old by now and I still love this game, presumely will love it in 2-3 years as strong as I do now as long as this community is evolving and growing, still releasing new stuff in a while ;)

Wasn't Nightmare banned?

I remember when doomshack died, i never thought it would.. i was going there before doomworld existed.

Ultraviolet said:

Yeah, good luck getting anyone AT ALL.

I have enough spare time on my hands, I wouldn't mind doing it for one week.

Good god, I sure wasn't expecting this when I posted my thoughts on me little old blog. Basically what I was trying to say was that DW as we have known her is pretty much done.

I never said anything of the community behind Doom itself. A community is its members, not the game they are centered around, the game is the community.

The Doom community is a wonderful group of nutjobs, and will probably always exist, but look at it this way, DW the way she was when she was a newborn is no more. Will she continue on and rise from the ashes of her former self to become something different? Probably.

And it was more of a prediciton than anything else. No reason for you guys to get all worked up. =P

-Cov
DW News Bitch v1.0

I remember when DoomCenter.com died. that was a decent site, though it didn't get any visitors. long time ago.

QuakeWorld.com hasn't been alive in years, but its still got this "stay tuned" message.

DoomShack was a great site as well.

I never really liked newdoom.com.

It'll be a sad sad day when I come to doomworld.com and see that it no longer exists.

if it were funds that doomworld lacks I'd gladly donate, because the community is obviously here to stay.

covaro said:

Stuff

Actually, there's a very simple reason why the news aren't getting updated as avidly as it used to be.

the major reason being that the internet is not what it used to be 8 years ago when Doomworld started.
Back then, almost every project had a website. Where the team leader would pimp it with news and screenshots to keep people intrested.
These days however, there's forums. Where the creators can pimp it in their own threads and on WIP and not have to mail in and hope that a newsie at a major website will deem it worty of being placed on the front page.

I too wish that DW would be more diligent in it's posting of news, but it's not a serious problem. And it's not any reflection of the community at large, that is actually appearing bigger now than it were some years ago. Projects are being made. Wads are being released. Some people leave, but even more newcomers come in every day to join the community.

One way to boost the news on the frontpage however would be to start a ModDB service like the.. well, ModDB site.

Just because Doomworld does not have a static membership does not mean it is dying. People come, people leave, sometimes somebody will go on hiatus for a year and then suddenly reappear. Its just the way forums work.

The Doom community must be fairly healthy, as the flow of projects into the archives is higher than times past. Just because the /tnc guys are busy doesn't mean the site is falling apart. If you look at some of the older /newstuffs you will find there are plenty of times where there was just one file to review. Even though the schedule of /tnc has gotten erratic there still are several new wads each week, and the general quality of work is greater than many other periods.

One way to boost the news on the front page however would be to start a ModDB service like the.. well, ModDB site.

I was thinking the same thing. I only really come by here for the forums anyway, but it would be nice to see 'automated' news like the recent or released wads on wip, the change logs for zdoom or edge (it its still going) and maybe some top story like news pieces like releases of skull tag or big mods or the new stuff chronicles.

Perhaps another community contest of redesign doomworld is in order?